p muticus

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Yep all localities of murinus are prone to bolting but there is a couple that will stand and fight regularly though. Again with localities there has been a couple of localities seen in the wild living like semi-arboreal ie. murinus Tete and Kenya.

I am not saying to stay away from the genus but almost every dodgy situations I have had when it comes to Africans has been with some Pterinochilus lugardi and chordatus I have been keeping.

The murinus usual suspect when it comes to bad attitude as it is much more common, though the other species in the genus certainly shouldnt be looked at any differently aha
Well, I might have been lucky with my non-murinus specimens of the genus, but I have yet to see something unexpected behaviour-wise from my lugardi and chordatus´ :). Sure, they are defensive as expected from an OW and they will always stand up for a fight when the time comes for a rehouse, but I would not say that they are that much more difficult to rehouse than a Ceratogyrus. At least that´s my experience with them.

cold blood

Staff member
It's funny however that in general C.marshalli (for instance) are always viewed more "calmer", when it comes to a defensive attitude, than a P.murinus when the truth is that Ceratogyrus is a genus full of pretty defensive Theraphosidae, by far more than the genus Pterinochilus ones (the "infamous" OBT aside) if compared.

This because 'OBT' got wrapped into a sort of 'black legend' during years that leaded and leads a lot of keepers to view those as eight legged brute monsters always ready to "threat pose & bite", and, on the other hand, genus Ceratogyrus on that sense was "lowered" and a bit underestimated. Too bad that those last loves to hiss, strike, and bolt just like the 'OBT' but nope, the 'OBT' is worst :kiss:
Ceratogryus are sweethearts...never a threat pose...maybe they'll ask for a hug or offer up a high 5...er, high two every now and again (am I mis-reading their signals?)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ceratogryus are sweethearts...never a threat pose...maybe they'll ask for a hug or offer up a high 5...er, high two every now and again (am I mis-reading their signals?)
Yup, that's what I mean, man. Just like my females, by far "worst" (worst not for me, not for you, nor others here... we love that attitude of course, I'm talking in general) than my female P.murinus.

Yeah, means nothing one moment because the "temperament that always vary" fact and etc, but I find bizarre to view those always suggested as starter Baboons when, actually, the only notable difference among those and the 'OBT' is the venom potency (by far higher as we know) just like if those lovely horned ones aren't defensive, fast or else, but the "pet rocks" of Africa :-s

E.pachypus, as TownesVanZandt suggested, are more "benign" on that sense and a better starter Baboon for the general keeper without that much of exp. that, IMO, a great genus like Ceratogyrus deserve.

cold blood

Staff member
Yup, that's what I mean, man. Just like my females, by far "worst" (worst not for me, not for you, nor others here... we love that attitude of course, I'm talking in general) than my female P.murinus.

Yeah, means nothing one moment because the "temperament that always vary" fact and etc, but I find bizarre to view those always suggested as starter Baboons when, actually, the only notable difference among those and the 'OBT' is the venom potency (by far higher as we know) just like if those lovely horned ones aren't defensive, fast or else, but the "pet rocks" of Africa :-s

E.pachypus, as TownesVanZandt suggested, are more "benign" on that sense and a better starter Baboon for the general keeper without that much of exp. that, IMO, a great genus like Ceratogyrus deserve.
I think its due to their visibility, combined with being less inclined to bolt. They're pretty easy to monitor....same can be said of muticus though (aside from monitoring unless their burrow is against a wall). I also believe that in terms of OW, that they have one of the less potent venoms from Africa....muticus can be quite bad by comparison I believe (never took one from either...lol). Ive raised dozens of Ceratogryus and frankly, they were never too difficult to deal with at any time and at any size.....albeit I am experienced, and this will always make things easier.

But muticus hasn't been any difficulty either...I wouldn't be averse to someone starting with one....its still way better than murinus or maculata.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I have two muticus (es?). One 1" sling and a 2.5" juvie. Both are great if you get them as slings so that your skills will advance with their age (IMO). The only problem I've had is that the 2.5" sling always destroys her burrow (or it collapses?).

Oliverhenderson

Arachnopeon
I have two muticus (es?). One 1" sling and a 2.5" juvie. Both are great if you get them as slings so that your skills will advance with their age (IMO). The only problem I've had is that the 2.5" sling always destroys her burrow (or it collapses?).
thanks good info

cold blood

Staff member
Your substrate should be packed down tightly, unless its top soil. Tunnels shouldn't be collapsing, especially when built by an expert.:D

Coconana

Arachnosquire
In my experience, all of the Ceratogyrus Sp. I've kept have been ridiculously calm in comparison to the three Muticus females we had. None were particularly fond of being disturbed, but personally, I'd prefer to deal with my unicorns ;)

For real, the main reason I'm in this thread was to see if Chris had busted in with one of his fabulous Goddess rants yet.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
In my experience, all of the Ceratogyrus Sp. I've kept have been ridiculously calm in comparison to the three Muticus females we had. None were particularly fond of being disturbed, but personally, I'd prefer to deal with my unicorns ;)

For real, the main reason I'm in this thread was to see if Chris had busted in with one of his fabulous Goddess rants yet.
Come on man! Haven't you read the taxonomic thread that's been around here lately? It's Ceratogyrus spp.! :)

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Ahh they are lovely at that size :angelic: I would recommend C. meridionalis/sanderi or Harpactira hamiltoni/chrysogaster/baviana/marksi/pulchripes/namaquiensis.
Totally agree! H. marksi was my first fossorial OW and it's been a breeze to take care of so far. Not out super often but that just makes it all the more exciting when I do get to catch a glimpse of it. I love my little baboon so much that I have H. chrysogaster and H. pulchripes slings coming tomorrow too... :D

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Augacephalus ezendami/junodi are also considered pretty calm for a baboon. They're still on my list, I love their colour shades.
P.muticus is fairly easy so far, the housing spiked my blood pressure and adrenaline levels, but other than that I just throw feeders in, change the water, watch both disappear, and that's it. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of her in her tunnels, but that's all.

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
I brought my P. muticus female home this sunday and so far it's... barricated itself inside a hide by webbing the entrance VERY thickly and that's it. Pretty much just that.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think its due to their visibility, combined with being less inclined to bolt. They're pretty easy to monitor....same can be said of muticus though (aside from monitoring unless their burrow is against a wall). I also believe that in terms of OW, that they have one of the less potent venoms from Africa....muticus can be quite bad by comparison I believe (never took one from either...lol). Ive raised dozens of Ceratogryus and frankly, they were never too difficult to deal with at any time and at any size.....albeit I am experienced, and this will always make things easier.

But muticus hasn't been any difficulty either...I wouldn't be averse to someone starting with one....its still way better than murinus or maculata.
Yes, I know man and I agree. Just that they are, and can be, a bit on the nervous side if they want as well. Indeed their venom (as a whole genus) isn't potent like the P.murinus (still I don't know, just like you... never been bitten, so we can rely on the bite reports only).

They aren't hard at all to keep, indeed. My point was only that I had (and have) the impression that sometimes that genus is underestimated a bit, when it comes to attitude, because those lovely horned freaks are full of :-s

cold blood

Staff member
Augacephalus ezendami are also considered pretty calm for a baboon. They're still on my list, I love their colour shades.
P.muticus is fairly easy so far, the housing spiked my blood pressure and adrenaline levels, but other than that I just throw feeders in, change the water, watch both disappear, and that's it. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of her in her tunnels, but that's all.

Their carapaces are just stunning...never gets old seeing them

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The Joy of owning a Goddess is something words can't describe in a right way. Which Theraphosidae is the Goddess, you may ask?

Pelinobius muticus 0.1, oh blinded. Don't you see those rear legs and noble posture? Didn't you hear Her hissing? Are you blind and deaf due to your own choice? We reached this point?

Her name is Pelinobius muticus 0.1, and this is one of Her theme (the Goddess is like a plant, She needs class A music):

The rest means nothing. Just empty talk increasingly and nothing else in front of the Goddess :-s

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just had to post this somewhere. 5" P. muticus just showed up yesterday. Excuse the bad cell phone pic.