OW readiness

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Well, if you are lucky enough to get an OW as a freebie (I've got my only one OW spider, an O. sp. "negros", as a freebie), you have to be able to care for them asap. When I got him/her, I wasn't ready for an OW (and still not ready for more OW's after 8 months of T keeping, this one is far enough), so I had to learn a lot in a short period of time. But I think that if you are collect enough information, respect them and stay focused during their maintenance, nothing bad will happen. They are tarantulas too, maybe a bit faster, more venomous and defensive tarantulas. :)
I got a freebie O.sp.Blue Panay...with an order of E.cyanognathus....i read the label and I was like...omg omg....it is one of those Asian snipers...now what do I do!
I wasn't planning to get into Asian Theraphosidae, having just started with African species. Lucky for me, it was a third instar sling. Unfortunately for me, it grows faster than my Gbb or P.pulcher :eek:. Makes awesome webconstructions though and eats like a piggie. I'll just move it to bigger enclosures so I don't have to rehouse it as much. If I feel uncomfortable with it when it is bigger, I'll just sell or give it away.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
I got a freebie O.sp.Blue Panay...with an order of E.cyanognathus....i read the label and I was like...omg omg....it is one of those Asian snipers...now what do I do!
I wasn't planning to get into Asian Theraphosidae, having just started with African species. Lucky for me, it was a third instar sling. Unfortunately for me, it grows faster than my Gbb or P.pulcher :eek:. Makes awesome webconstructions though and eats like a piggie. I'll just move it to bigger enclosures so I don't have to rehouse it as much. If I feel uncomfortable with it when it is bigger, I'll just sell or give it away.
Mine is a sling too, and is exactly the same... it really likes to eat, not just standing and waiting for the prey, but chasing it. Webs and digs like crazy, active little guy. :) I rehoused it on Friday, and it really wanted to kill the paintbrush. Smit it like 3-4 times... but it was expected, I wasn't surprised and nothing bad happened. It sealed its burrow since then, I hope that it is going to molt soon, because it was very plump. :happy:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
It sounds like you're over thinking this. My third T within my first year into the hobby was an adult P. murinus, so you'll be fine.

If you want a taste of an OW T, but don't want to spend a ton of money, get a P. murinus sling (they grow super fast) or consider getting a fiesty NW like a P. irminia or P. cancerides.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Imho..., when you dont have the flinch reaction anymore then is the time to make the transfer.
This isn't the best theory of when to step into a OW. I've been keeping T's for 12 years and I still flinch when they bolt or threat posture.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It sounds like you're over thinking this. My third T within my first year into the hobby was an adult P. murinus, so you'll be fine.

If you want a taste of an OW T, but don't want to spend a ton of money, get a P. murinus sling (they grow super fast) or consider getting a fiesty NW like a P. irminia or P. cancerides.
P.murinus isn't a 'taste of OW', it's a mouthful....

Rob1985

This user has no status.
P.murinus isn't a 'taste of OW', it's a mouthful....
I know they are and that's why I said "sling", not adult. Raising OW world T's from slings has helped many get used to the speed and temperament.

creepa

Arachnoknight
This isn't the best theory of when to step into a OW. I've been keeping T's for 12 years and I still flinch when they bolt or threat posture.
Then maybe after 12 years you are still not ready for old worlds...:rolleyes::troll::bag:

All jokes aside, flinching is a perfectly normal primal reaction..., but you can learn to control it.

Imho. the flinching reaction can be desastrous when dealing with old worlds...
For example in flinching reaction you can knock all your enclosures from a shelf or throw a spider in your wife's cleavage...

Not a reaction you want when dealing with old and new worlds...

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Imho. the flinching reaction can be desastrous when dealing with old worlds...
For example in flinching reaction you can knock all your enclosures from a shelf or throw a spider in your wife's cleavage...
That's not a flinch that's a convulsion man. Stay away from strobe lights. :p

Cordialis

Arachnopeon
I'm also a bit curious about when you're ready to "take the leap". Thing is, it seems nearly impossible to know before you do it.

I'm eyeing P. rufilata and P. metallica slings right now, after three years of keeping both terrestrial and arboreal NW's, dreaming of having them but not sure if I'm ready or not. And I don't think I'll ever be sure. After reading sooooo many views where half says "go for it, you're ready if you respect them and do proper research" and the rest going "no way you're ready after only keeping NW's, unless these are the gateway Psalmos" I lean more and more toward it being a matter of just deciding whether or not to take the dive.

Sadly I don't know anyone else in my vicinity keeping T's. If I did, I'd ask to come over and feed some OW's and be there for a rehousing. That'd probably give me a better feel for whether I was ready to have some of my own or not.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
@Cordialis

Don't fight the urge...

BITE the urge.

Honestly, I'm no expert but from what I understand is that a T is a T unless the enclosure is open, then it's a little different. I've also learned pokies for the most part like to bolt into their hide and camouflage themselves before standing their ground or biting which makes them easy to feed but hard to rehouse.

I hate to be one of those guys but I say go for it.

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Cordialis

Don't fight the urge...

BITE the urge.

Honestly, I'm no expert but from what I understand is that a T is a T unless the enclosure is open, then it's a little different. I've also learned pokies for the most part like to bolt into their hide and camouflage themselves before standing their ground or biting which makes them easy to feed but hard to rehouse.

I hate to be one of those guys but I say go for it.
I'm not sure if that pic is reassuring :D
@Cordialis , what are you currently keeping?
Personally, I like the way I got into OW, not too long ago actually. I'm four years in the hobby now, started with B.albopilosum, and currently have five OW, A.ezendami and junodi, E.pachypus, P.muticus and a O.sp Blue Panay. The last one was a freebie.
I worked my way up (some species I do not list since they aren't part of the 'ladder to OW), from GBB, to P.pulcher, T.violaceus, to E.murinus and from there to a P.muticus sling. Buying a sling of that species was on purpose since they grow really slow, that way giving me time to get used to it. At least, that was the plan, but the Princess burrowed and hasn't been visible above ground since.
At first I was very anxious to house/feed/maintenance them, but you get used to their behaviour if you give yourself the time to get used to it.
Point of the long post was to show why and how I got into OW, and why advise other people to start like that.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
If I did, I'd ask to come over and feed some OW's and be there for a rehousing
Hey,you pay for the flight,lodging,and a night on the town,there are tons of folks who will be more than
happy to help.:smug:

Magenta

Arachnosquire

I have a toddler who is into everything, so it's not really an option for me at this time anyway.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Then you have decided not to go OW.And everyone here is good with that.
Other lifes issues dictate what to do,or not to do.
But if you keep your T,s,regardless if they are NW or OW,in good health,and
raising and enjoying them,then you are a successful T keeper.

There is nothing to prove.When your ready,only you will know.

Magenta

Arachnosquire
Then you have decided not to go OW.And everyone here is good with that.
Other lifes issues dictate what to do,or not to do.
But if you keep your T,s,regardless if they are NW or OW,in good health,and
raising and enjoying them,then you are a successful T keeper.

There is nothing to prove.When your ready,only you will know.

Right, I'm perfectly happy admiring OWs at reptile shows and pics here on AB. Besides, I have a long 'want list' of NWs;)

sasker

Arachnoprince
Is there anyone who started keeping OW and who thought: "Oh, is this what all the fuss was about? This is really not as bad as I expected!" OW tarantulas deserve respect and should not be underestimated. There are indeed those who recommend using a ladder system and those who say that if you feel you are ready you should go for it. I think it depends on the personality of the keeper which approach is best. If you don't feel ready, like @Andrea82 described with her O.sp.Blue Panay, it won't hurt to wait a little. If you feel confident that you can take care of OW spp. it will not be too early per se. However, it is important to do research on keeping them. The worst thing would be a question on AB like "my OBT is on its back. Is it dead?" ;)

I am also considering taking the step towards OW, but I will not go for an H. maculata as my first because I do not feel ready enough for it yet.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I hate the fact that I'm mostly interested in OWs. There are some gorgeous NW Ts out there but I love the different survival tactics of the OWs. I'm not big into terrestrials but there are a few on my list to get. Also, id love to own an H Mac! It's literally the number one on my wish list, haha.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I've been thinking about this for a while. How does a person know if they're ready for an OW tarantula or highly venomous spider? Are there any guidelines? People often overestimate their own abilities or underestimate the tarantula.

Years of experience seems to be an iffy standard. A person could spend a decade making mistakes and never learning from them.

What about species like Sicarius? What should be the guidelines for owning a species like this?

I'm not talking about legal restrictions. I mean how are keepers supposed to know when they're ready for advanced/expert species?
Your readiness really depends on you yourself. If you're mentally prepared for defensiveness, speed, and a nasty attitude, then you're ready. Of course there are species you can buy to prep for old worlds. Pamphobeteus, Psalmopoeus, Ephebopus, etc. But if you feel the need to make the jump, make the jump and prepare to land.