Opinion

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on the pumpkin patch. :) I bought 2 of them about a year ago now and I will never regret that purchase. One matured a few months ago, he has beautiful little hooks. ;) I'm guessing the other one must be female, and also close to maturity.

things to note about this species from a relatively new spider keeper;

They are fast.
They are very intelligent, as spiders go and as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, they can anticipate you're movements and will try to bolt out of the enclosure if you leave opportunity.
They are HUNGRY!!!
They are fast....
They are kind of skittish, although my suspect female has never used a burrow and stays out in the open for the most part, the male stays in the burrow always.
They are fast.

Tips for dealing with them during maintenance, feedings and rehousing:

when you start to do anything with your pumpkin patch, First thing's first, visually locate it if possible. make sure it's not at the top of the enclosure near where you will be opening it. Try to gauge it's mood. Is it racing around the perimeter of the enclosure in laps? is it running up the walls, over the ceiling of the enclosure and back down? is it in a threat posture before you even start to open the lid? If so, put the cage back on the shelf and leave it alone for a while. Never, ever put your hand inside the enclosure. Use your feeder tongs to handle the water dish, pick up boluses and rearrange "furniture" if you have any if necessary. Use a syringe to fill the water bowl. Most of all, enjoy it! They are a really beautiful species and their smaller size is endearing.

Most of this is pretty much standard basics for dealing with any species though honestly. You really just have to be more aware of it's mood and general attitude then, say, a Grammostola porter.

As for the OBT discussion that keeps trying to hi-jack this thread. I got an OBT as a surprise freebie with an order of spiders I got around Halloween 2014. I was NOT happy of having had it sent with my other spiders as I did not feel ready or comfortable having one yet. So far, it's gone well, thankfully although I don't really like it. I care for it as well as my others but it's definitely not my favorite. I certainly won't be getting another one any time soon, or ever really. It's not that I'm afraid of it, though it does make me nervous. It's definitely not a good spider for beginners.
I like OBT give it away to me please!

Shawnee

Arachnosquire
I got a pumpkin patch pretty early on. It was actually maybe my third tarantula? I don't remember. Ginger is definitely fast, skittish, and loves to kick her hair at me. I definitely didn't prefer rehousing her as opposed to some other species. But she's really beautiful, and I love seeing her when she's out. I don't find her difficult really. Like someone else said, if I'm about to open the enclosure of a skittish species, I mock open it until they run to their burrows. (Basically opening and closing the lid shortly a bunch of times) This helps.

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
Plenty of beginners have this species already, and because it's well known that they are super aggressive, and quick moving, makes them predictable. I'm not saying it's a good species to handle, or even a first tarantula. Be honest with yourselves here most of you guys saying it isn't a good beginner species had one when you were a beginner, and WoW, you survived. It's the one cool aggressive, and inexpensive species a beginner can have in their collection that teaches them to respect an aggressive tarantula. The fact is, it's not me saying it's a good beginner species, it's the reality of it being one because so many beginners have these already, and their doing fine with them. What defines a good beginner species for me also, is the captive requiments of a species, which these are very hardy. I believe most species could be good for beginners really, with some proper research. Plus, there are different reasons for people to want tarantulas. Some people are looking for calm species, and wouldn't be up for something like P. murinus, while others don't mind keeping P. murinus because their not interested in handling them. I had my first P. murinus when I was 17, and back then just having a tarantula at all meant you weren't really sane, but I loved keeping that spider, and there wasn't anybody telling me, "That's not a good beginner species", and I had less experience than these kids now do. I won't lie though, they will bite you if you give them the chance, but so can any species, but atleast you can "predict" that with P. murinus.
Bravo Swifty!

I find these points from Swifty very interesting for several reasons:

- Because it's true that P murinus have bad moods, are fast and have potent venom, people will be extra careful with them and very prudent: most accidents happen when someone feel too confident; it's difficult to feel this way with P murinus.

- Because they are hardy, they will survive lots of beginners errors. I remember: I made a lot back then!

- Because they are fast and angry, the keeper will learn a lot dealing with them (experience comes when facing the difficulties).

- And finally because, in all honesty, Swift's opinion (yes, it's about sharing different opinions, is there enough room for that on AB?) matches my own experience and the experience of the keepers/breeders in know in Switzerland. I bought a P murinus as my fifth tarantula, and I wasn't full of expericence back then. I was so happy welcoming this spider in my home (So beautiful and interesting! It had nothing to do with me being a "male", but rather with the pleasure of keeping this particular sp.), and maybe some of you will remember when you bought a tarantula just because you couldn't help buying THIS one... Anyway, I learnt a lot with her (she's still here!), and there was no problems at all because, once again, I was cautious. Same with my friends (one of them began with a H lividum 20 years ago and is now keeping more than 100 adult Ts on a regular basis). Of course, accidents could happen, but all the same with a B smithi or G rosea handled because she seemed so tame...

Thanks Swifty for giving another "son de cloche" (as we say in french, which means another opinion). I'm with you on this one. Let's make AB something else than an intolerant place or a "one-minded" place... There's enough of this crap in the rest of the world...

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok, first on the OBT thing. I sell the crap out of them, and NEVER has anybody complained they can't handle them. They understand the point of being aggressive, but they deal with it. I think political correctness, and people being a bunch of wimps, plays a big role. These are tarantulas, and not hamsters, so lets understand that.
On a fair note, do you really think anyone would -complain- about a freebie? I can't really imagine it, but that being said: I don't care if people think I'm stupid for saying this, I do not think it's a good thing to send these out as freebies. Particularly not, because you, as seller, usually don't know who's on the other side. Let's face it: Sellers want to make money and that depends on customers coming back to purchase again. And since it's a very popular species, it's only natural to chose them. What you forget is that there's a ton of people out there with no common sense at all (the hamster analogy there) that think one T is like any other. Even more don't research a species before they get them - there's lots of threads on here of people stating they ordered a T, but "couldn't find information" on them. Basically wanting to be hand-fed to get a rundown on it.

I think basically that people on Arachnoboards care more about their count of posts and fan favor than really telling people how it is. I don't post much, cause I don't have time, but this website has become a bitter place to come and talk about arachnids. People are afraid to say whats on their mind. I don't have that problem. You believe who you want in this thread, but all I can say is get yourself an OBT, you can handle it.
I've noticed some bitterness, yes. However, this is a forum and anyone can voice their opinion in a civilized, respectful way. Some got fed up with doing so, others keep on doing so. There's been a bunch of discussion in which opionions clash and then someone starts throwing out not-so-cilvilized comments, at which points the mods have to step in. I made my own mistakes in the past - I learned from it. Back 2 topic at hand - I don't care what people think of my answers to questions. I can openly say that when I post something, it's my personal opinion, no someone elses. If it happens to be on the line with some other poster, fine. If not, well then it's not. I do my research usually and while mistakes happen sometimes (right, Chad?) I don't tend to state seemingly uncertified information. That some people get hurt over an answer they didn't like, isn't my problem. You ask for something, you get an answer, deal with it. Some here are more blunt than others (hell, I simply dislike talking around the bush - I'm European...we tend to be to-the-point, sry! :D) and that sometimes rubs people the wrong way. Grow up it's all I can say to it! You just -read- something on a forum, it's not like someone yelled in your face or -made- you do something!

Bottom line: It is my personal opinion that OBTs and other OW freebies shouldn't be considered to -newer- customers one doesn't know! That the species is bred like crazy and there's always someone offering them, doesn't mean they need to be handed out like cookies at a christmas bazar in my world. All that aside the fact that a hamster can be viciously biting you, but you won't have to be in agony for days to come when bit. So, there's that - now people can disagree with me :)

P.S: Nope, this is not a personal attack in any way, shape, or form. It's a personal opinion. Just stating that again :D

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On a fair note, do you really think anyone would -complain- about a freebie? I can't really imagine it, but that being said: I don't care if people think I'm stupid for saying this, I do not think it's a good thing to send these out as freebies. Particularly not, because you, as seller, usually don't know who's on the other side. Let's face it: Sellers want to make money and that depends on customers coming back to purchase again. And since it's a very popular species, it's only natural to chose them. What you forget is that there's a ton of people out there with no common sense at all (the hamster analogy there) that think one T is like any other. Even more don't research a species before they get them - there's lots of threads on here of people stating they ordered a T, but "couldn't find information" on them. Basically wanting to be hand-fed to get a rundown on it.

I've noticed some bitterness, yes. However, this is a forum and anyone can voice their opinion in a civilized, respectful way. Some got fed up with doing so, others keep on doing so. There's been a bunch of discussion in which opionions clash and then someone starts throwing out not-so-cilvilized comments, at which points the mods have to step in. I made my own mistakes in the past - I learned from it. Back 2 topic at hand - I don't care what people think of my answers to questions. I can openly say that when I post something, it's my personal opinion, no someone elses. If it happens to be on the line with some other poster, fine. If not, well then it's not. I do my research usually and while mistakes happen sometimes (right, Chad?) I don't tend to state seemingly uncertified information. That some people get hurt over an answer they didn't like, isn't my problem. You ask for something, you get an answer, deal with it. Some here are more blunt than others (hell, I simply dislike talking around the bush - I'm European...we tend to be to-the-point, sry! :D) and that sometimes rubs people the wrong way. Grow up it's all I can say to it! You just -read- something on a forum, it's not like someone yelled in your face or -made- you do something!

Bottom line: It is my personal opinion that OBTs and other OW freebies shouldn't be considered to -newer- customers one doesn't know! That the species is bred like crazy and there's always someone offering them, doesn't mean they need to be handed out like cookies at a christmas bazar in my world. All that aside the fact that a hamster can be viciously biting you, but you won't have to be in agony for days to come when bit. So, there's that - now people can disagree with me :)

P.S: Nope, this is not a personal attack in any way, shape, or form. It's a personal opinion. Just stating that again :D
I do give these away for freebies, but I give the buyer the option if they want one. I never send to a customer that isn't buying something else aggressive, unless they request it. I'm not sending them a hand grenade with the pin missing. Like I said, it's not just MY opinion, it's the hobby that exists opinion. They want what they want, and just because people on these boards are more in favor of them not being a good beginner species, it really doesn't represent the entire hobby.

---------- Post added 11-20-2015 at 08:58 AM ----------

Bravo Swifty!

I find these points from Swifty very interesting for several reasons:

- Because it's true that P murinus have bad moods, are fast and have potent venom, people will be extra careful with them and very prudent: most accidents happen when someone feel too confident; it's difficult to feel this way with P murinus.

- Because they are hardy, they will survive lots of beginners errors. I remember: I made a lot back then!

- Because they are fast and angry, the keeper will learn a lot dealing with them (experience comes when facing the difficulties).

- And finally because, in all honesty, Swift's opinion (yes, it's about sharing different opinions, is there enough room for that on AB?) matches my own experience and the experience of the keepers/breeders in know in Switzerland. I bought a P murinus as my fifth tarantula, and I wasn't full of expericence back then. I was so happy welcoming this spider in my home (So beautiful and interesting! It had nothing to do with me being a "male", but rather with the pleasure of keeping this particular sp.), and maybe some of you will remember when you bought a tarantula just because you couldn't help buying THIS one... Anyway, I learnt a lot with her (she's still here!), and there was no problems at all because, once again, I was cautious. Same with my friends (one of them began with a H lividum 20 years ago and is now keeping more than 100 adult Ts on a regular basis). Of course, accidents could happen, but all the same with a B smithi or G rosea handled because she seemed so tame...

Thanks Swifty for giving another "son de cloche" (as we say in french, which means another opinion). I'm with you on this one. Let's make AB something else than an intolerant place or a "one-minded" place... There's enough of this crap in the rest of the world...
I'm in amazement that somebody actually agreed with me : )

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I never send to a customer that isn't buying something else aggressive, unless they request it. I'm not sending them a hand grenade with the pin missing.
If that's the case, you're one of the few that aren't just about making money. I was under the impression they're freebies for anyone purchasing a T - no matter that initial order. I was talking more about those sellers throwing an OBT into and order of Brachys, Grammos...the like. That sort of aggrevates me honestly.

Anyways, forget I said anything :)

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since this thread has been hijacked, I admit, mostly by me, still gotta go with Hapalopus sp. "Pumpkin Patch" being a good beginner species. But my opinion is, and boy do I know this will get folks in an uproar, I think most species of tarantulas are good beginner species. When I say this, I'm talking about the aggression, not the husbandry. Because I think there is alot of species that the care might be difficult for beginners.
Keep in mind, this IS just my opinion, but I have sold over 100,000 spiders, and that's alot of customer feedback.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Not a good beginner species. As someone who has a couple dozen Hapalopus, I'm thinking about selling/trading all of them because they're so prone to racing out of their cages, worse than anything else I have, and 2/3's of my collection is arboreals.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Recently a friend of mine received a beginner species as a gift. It was her first tarantula Grammostola porteri. The person that gave her the porteri he told her hold your tarantula as much as possible so you can get used to you. Keep your tarantula wet at all times. When she told me this my first response to her was forget everything that this individual said and start over. I had to teach her the living condition of this beautiful creatures that she knew nothing about and being misinformed.

My point to this is, giving the wrong information of the care of your animal and not having the knowledge of them your new animal is not a good beginner species to begin with no matter what species that may be.

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not a good beginner species. As someone who has a couple dozen Hapalopus, I'm thinking about selling/trading all of them because they're so prone to racing out of their cages, worse than anything else I have, and 2/3's of my collection is arboreals.
Rick, Bro, Your not a beginner, you just don't like them because their fast. Hey i've chased their little arses too, but still love them. Speed is just a part of keeping tarantulas. I'm not a judge on people's reflexes, and I can't baby my customers to the point of paranoia. I can't investigate everybody's skill level, it's not that I don't care, it's just the reality. I get the feeling sometimes that when I say things like tarantulas are one of the easiest exotic animals to keep, I'm destroying somebody on this board for all their hard work giving advice. I have kept just about everything at one point or another, and tarantulas are easy.

awiec

Arachnoprince
At a certain point you gain insight on what the animal is going to do, spiders aren't that complex, they can only do so many things. Of course this takes time and I think I'm just going to start suggesting true spiders to people, learn with a cheap, fast animal that isn't going to hurt you if it nips you.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Pterinochilus murinus shouldn't be discussed but loved without "but", "if" or anything else by the T's community. No Theraphosidae is like the mighty 'OBT'. No one.

'OBT' is the most underrated (in a different sense) Theraphosidae ever. They are cheap, always available, easy to breed, hardy, and with that hell attitude. This mix is a perfect mix for reckless retards seeking for show something, of course. That's why there's a lot of "newby with OBTs".

No beginners, or unprepared ones should own those, granted. Everyone knows this captain obvious facts. But i would gladly see more on boards, from advanced keepers, praise for that untamed and unpredictable Theraphosidae.

genus Haplopelma, genus Chilobrachys, genus Poecilotheria etc aren't like "him".

I owned all of those T's genus (except for genus Poecilotheria, but i re-housed in the past some of those for friends).

Pelinobius muticus is a gentle giant. Heteroscodra maculata and Stromatopelma calceatum, if housed correctly and someone doesn't mess too much, loves to stay safe.

But the only one i expect the unexpected from, is 'OBT'. There's no place for errors with them.

The fact that is so "mainstream" is a shame IMO. Those are eight legged legends.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Rick, Bro, Your not a beginner, you just don't like them because their fast.

The majority of my spiders are fast, and feisty, but they usually run for their hides when disturbed and maintenance is straightforward. Hapalopus is ready to zip out of the cage the entire time the lid is up, even just a crack on one side, which is starting to lose it's novelty. I don't have to deal with this with OW arboreals! I'm not worried about a bite, but them racing under some heavy shelving.

awiec

Arachnoprince
The majority of my spiders are fast, and feisty, but they usually run for their hides when disturbed and maintenance is straightforward. Hapalopus is ready to zip out of the cage the entire time the lid is up, even just a crack on one side, which is starting to lose it's novelty. I don't have to deal with this with OW arboreals! I'm not worried about a bite, but them racing under some heavy shelving.
It's why after mine matured I did not want another one, if I'm going to fight with a spider to keep it in its cage then I'll do it with one I'm more interested in; T.gigas fills my orange speed demon needs.

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WAH Wah, really Rick? I'm sorry, but you crying about them being fast is kinda funny. Try some true spiders, with speed : ) Spiders be spiders, life is cruel...hehe

---------- Post added 11-20-2015 at 06:17 PM ----------

Pterinochilus murinus shouldn't be discussed but loved without "but", "if" or anything else by the T's community. No Theraphosidae is like the mighty 'OBT'. No one.

'OBT' is the most underrated (in a different sense) Theraphosidae ever. They are cheap, always available, easy to breed, hardy, and with that hell attitude. This mix is a perfect mix for reckless retards seeking for show something, of course. That's why there's a lot of "newby with OBTs".

No beginners, or unprepared ones should own those, granted. Everyone knows this captain obvious facts. But i would gladly see more on boards, from advanced keepers, praise for that untamed and unpredictable Theraphosidae.

genus Haplopelma, genus Chilobrachys, genus Poecilotheria etc aren't like "him".

I owned all of those T's genus (except for genus Poecilotheria, but i re-housed in the past some of those for friends).

Pelinobius muticus is a gentle giant. Heteroscodra maculata and Stromatopelma calceatum, if housed correctly and someone doesn't mess too much, loves to stay safe.

But the only one i expect the unexpected from, is 'OBT'. There's no place for errors with them.

The fact that is so "mainstream" is a shame IMO. Those are eight legged legends.
Oh wow, very dramatic. I've heard that OBT's can shoot flames out of their asses too! Why are we doing this to a great species. It's sad if you ask me.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
WAH Wah, really Rick? I'm sorry, but you crying about them being fast is kinda funny. Try some true spiders, with speed : ) Spiders be spiders, life is cruel...hehe

Oh wow, very dramatic. I've heard that OBT's can shoot flames out of their asses too! Why are we doing this to a great species. It's sad if you ask me.
I just don't like the fact that they are so popular due to high availability and low price. That's all.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

Kelly, you started off helpful in this thread, but this is really deteriorating. Come on.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
If that's the case, you're one of the few that aren't just about making money. I was under the impression they're freebies for anyone purchasing a T - no matter that initial order. I was talking more about those sellers throwing an OBT into and order of Brachys, Grammos...the like. That sort of aggrevates me honestly.

Anyways, forget I said anything :)
The main freebie I always hear about (and I have received one too) is a B albo.