Opinion on what would make a good beginner pet for me?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Eupalaestrus campestratus is also a good beginner species. Make sure to get a juvi or adult though, they are slow growers.

cold blood

Staff member
If you decide for a Grammostola species I wouldn't get a baby sling. The reason why is you will get bored to see them grow. My suggestion a juvenile 3" inches and up confirmed female. I hate for you to get sick of your new pet and the hobby by your new tarantula taking way to long to grow.
To me watching a sling grow is the most rewarding and exciting thing in the hobby...perfect for a new keeper IMO....as long as its over an inch, the op should be fine...and considering she's looking at pulchripes, their growth is certainly not as slow as most other beginner species. A larger female may go many months on fast...a small 1-2" sling is far less likely to fast as long as a larger specimen.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Grammostola porteri rosea is a better choice. One of the best choice is Grammostola sp. "Concepcion" very docile and beautiful.
I'm afraid I must disagree with the notion that G.porteri are good for beginners . Their odd behavior seems to cause a great deal of issues for many inexperienced keepers . The endless string of "what's wrong with my rose hair ?" threads are a testament to that .

cold blood

Staff member
I'm afraid I must disagree with the notion that G.porteri are good for beginners . Their odd behavior seems to cause a great deal of issues for many inexperienced keepers . The endless string of "what's wrong with my rose hair ?" threads are a testament to that .
I agree...my single biggest regret in this hobby was starting out with G. porteri. Things you can learn in months with other species, may take many years to learn from these ultra-slow growers. What beginner wants to wait 3-5 years to see their first molt? What beginner wants to deal with 3-6, or 12+ month fasts that are seemingly random?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To me watching a sling grow is the most rewarding and exciting thing in the hobby...perfect for a new keeper IMO....as long as its over an inch, the op should be fine...and considering she's looking at pulchripes, their growth is certainly not as slow as most other beginner species. A larger female may go many months on fast...a small 1-2" sling is far less likely to fast as long as a larger specimen.
Slings are good to start with but the majority of beginners as I have encounter they prefer a larger specimen to start with. A slow growing juvenile is just one step up which it will be much better than a slow growing sling for a beginner. Than again what boils down too is the new owner to decide what's best for his or her needs.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I started with some 1" G. Pulchripes slings and a juvie B. Vagans (approx 2.5" dls) as my first order (thank you @cold blood ) and I don't regret that one bit. That led to my A. Versicolor 1.5" sling with a couple H. Sp columbia 1cm babies freebies ordered, then I couldn't pass up a Euathlus sp red sling at 3/4" and an A. Hentzi 3" dls here recently. Have not regretted any of it at all and now planning on some 1/2" A. Avics :)

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My first tarantula was a porteri never as a beginner had issues with any of them. You as others know tarantulas in general are unpredictable regardless of threads that are based on any particular species. Odd behavior???? Sorry I don't see it. We don't always really know what the inexperienced keeper do with their tarantulas or how much truth is in their claim. I've been dealing with a lot of different Grammostola species since 1989 to this day I will always recommend a porteri to any beginner. It may not be first choice but it is suitable for anyone.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
My own experience with G Pulchra hasnt been great. Seems to be in pre-moult for ages or very fussy with food. Ab is huge but then it ate a pre-killed 4 days ago....wierd.

Gonna try again soon if it doesnt moult. I would have sworn it must moult soon.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My own experience with G Pulchra hasnt been great. Seems to be in pre-moult for ages or very fussy with food. Ab is huge but then it ate a pre-killed 4 days ago....wierd.

Gonna try again soon if it doesnt moult. I would have sworn it must moult soon.
My experience with G. pulchra spiderlings are very similar to yours. The first couple of feedings they get post moult, they attack the food immediately. After that, they really don't. Most times mine will ignore it completely until I close up the enclosure and go away. More times than not - the food is gone the next day, though.
Long pre-moult for my two as well. I have one right now that is looking like a huge tick. I swore they were going to moult and then took food after refusing it for two weeks.
If any spider is worth going through all their quirks - it is G. pulchra. They are my favourite and I will put up with all of it for the reward I will get when they are bigger.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
My first tarantula was a porteri never as a beginner had issues with any of them. You as others know tarantulas in general are unpredictable regardless of threads that are based on any particular species. Odd behavior???? Sorry I don't see it. We don't always really know what the inexperienced keeper do with their tarantulas or how much truth is in their claim. I've been dealing with a lot of different Grammostola species since 1989 to this day I will always recommend a porteri to any beginner. It may not be first choice but it is suitable for anyone.
Individual temperaments vary, and threads are just anecdotes. So I'm with you on that. The reason I don't like G. rosea/porteri as a beginner spider is because of how boring they usually are. Very slow growing, often goes through fasts, drab colors, and they have the potential to be a pet rock. Yes, they're suitable for everyone, but they can put a bad taste in the mouth for a new hobbyist.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Individual temperaments vary, and threads are just anecdotes. So I'm with you on that. The reason I don't like G. rosea/porteri as a beginner spider is because of how boring they usually are. Very slow growing, often goes through fasts, drab colors, and they have the potential to be a pet rock. Yes, they're suitable for everyone, but they can put a bad taste in the mouth for a new hobbyist.
That's exactly my point^^^^^^^^^^

Sana

Arachnoprince
They are so pretty! Mine goes through periods of inactivity, but not as long as my G. Pulchripes does.
Periods of inactivity in my experience just mean that your tarantula is content in it's surroundings. The ones that are constantly in motion are generally having an issue with husbandry or something else in their environment. Tarantulas that sit still or hang out in their hides tend to be the happiest tarantulas on earth. Sort of boring to watch but a good thing nonetheless. If you get bored with a content tarantula that just means that you need another one (or ten) so that you have more behaviors going on at once. Side note though, this hobby requires a pretty intense amount of patience. Tarantulas do things in their own time and way, generally in ways that the keeper can't put logic to. We chalk it up to a spider doing spider things and move on around here.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@Jamie Moore
Just don't stop reading and (in general) question everything!

Some things that should make you hesitant to trust anyone:
  • You're told to get a hygrometer
  • You're told tarantulas need heat mats
  • You're told tarantulas need heat lamps
  • You're told to follow a care sheet
  • They use only common names (e.g. 'Tiger Rump Butterscotch Bird Devourer' :anxious:)
  • They work at a pet store
  • They say you need to mist daily
You'll do great if you get info here and please, post pictures of the setup before you get the T. :)

I absolutely love my Tiger Rump Butterscotch Bird Devourer. It is my favorite tarantula by far but I would not suggest it for a beginner though. Their wings are very delicate and they need humidity levels of 74.7 % or they will die.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Periods of inactivity in my experience just mean that your tarantula is content in it's surroundings. The ones that are constantly in motion are generally having an issue with husbandry or something else in their environment. Tarantulas that sit still or hang out in their hides tend to be the happiest tarantulas on earth. Sort of boring to watch but a good thing nonetheless. If you get bored with a content tarantula that just means that you need another one (or ten) so that you have more behaviors going on at once. Side note though, this hobby requires a pretty intense amount of patience. Tarantulas do things in their own time and way, generally in ways that the keeper can't put logic to. We chalk it up to a spider doing spider things and move on around here.
I'm glad to hear that. For about a year, both my tarantulas have been like pet rocks. They don't eat, they occasionally come out to walk around at night, drink, or dig, but are just chilling inside their hides for most of the time.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I've learned plenty about them. I have helped care for a few during these past two months. I am not going to know everything about them just by reading. I need to learn hands on. I think of it the same way as learning to drive a car, not matter how much I read about it I never truly understood how to until I actually went on my first drive. Same with this. Until I experience owning my own T, I will not know everything. Thats why the species I'm getting is generally docile and forgiving from what I understand. The whole reason I joined this website was to learn more about them. I would not have signed up if I was a professional. I have a local guy who will help me when I need it, and thanks to these forums, a huge community of experienced owners that are willing to help.
Have you found yourself a T yet? If not, best of luck to you in finding what you want.