OMG This is bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Ok. First off I'd like to know from someone experienced, if you saw a 4"inch Salmon Pink and a 4"inch Chilean Rose how would you know the difference between the two? WITHOUT reading a tag?

So here's what happened last night around 3 am. I told you guys about the picky eater, the 4"inch Rose Hair I bought 3 weeks ago. And that we were basically assuming a female until further notice. Well, yesterday, I saw a bulky (sold as) Chilean Rose and she was much fuzzier than mine at home, so I went ahead and got her for $17. My goodness she just looked so much bigger than my Rose, and I immediately started to wonder if I had a male at home, because their stomach area underneath looked a bit different. Hers was wider than mine.

Well I got her home, and decided to divide a 10 gallon tank for them both to share it. I fixed it up, and placed them on opposite sides. Tank looked really nice too. Well my Rose started patrolling and climbing which was out of the norm for it. It then makes it's way to the top of the divider, and squeezes through a 1/2 inch opening... I WAS LIKE WHAT IN THE WORLD?

So he's now on her side of the tank, but he's stationed on the divider, and he starts tapping the glass. She doesn't budge a muscle. I'm now seeing firsthand just how much bigger she is than my Rose, and I'm getting up to get a ruler to end this mess before it gets started. As I'm getting up, she starts moving her Chelicera as if warning my Rose not to come any further. He gets the point, and walks back over the divider to his side of the enclosure.

HOWEVER!! He doesn't go to the bedding. He just sits on the divider at the top. Ok I'm like this isn't gonna work. So after about 3 minutes pondering and watching, I make a move to go get my ruler. I come back only to not see him at all. My wife was nearby and I said, "Where is he??" She jumps up and no sooner than I walk to the enclosure I see him nearing her, (he's just under her on the bedding) and she's at the top of the enclosure still. What happened next was so fast it almost startled me.

She LEAPS from the top of the enclosure, pinpoint accuracy and nails him, WHAM!! They do a slight tumble, and she's easily on top and it's over. The sheer size of her, over my 4.5"inch Chilean Rose was rather impressive to see. The fear struck me. What if this is actually a Salmon Pink Bird Eater? I've seen so many videos of them, and she has the resemblance, but she also appears as an over-sized Chilean Rose too.

I don't know. I'm so sad about him. As I type she just finished him off, he's about a 1/2 inch mass of nothing, and she placed him at the back of the burrow I made for her. My goodness she's a beast. And she means business.

But she gave me absolutely ZERO issue when getting her out of the pet store container, and into her new home at our house. But the ferocity which she pounced on him was crazy. Just wanted to share this with you guys. I'm still mad at her for eating my 1st T". Mating was not my intention. I was just making a beautiful Townhouse for my T's. (I thought)

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well as much as some would not like to see the pictures. It would definatly help people identify it for you

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Here are a few pics of this beast. LOL Remember my T was 4.5"inches easily and when she stood over him it wasn't even close. Now if Rosea's can get 6"inches that's fine, but her body was already monstrous compared to his, and now after consuming him, she is ridiculous and sitting in the middle of her enclosure like he wasn't enough!! The nerve of this girl.

Here she is just 10 minutes ago like it never happened!!

Here she is webbing the area she's eating in

Again can you even see the poor guy?

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
that's definitely a G rosea, positively not an LP.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's 100% G. rosea. And I would suggest NEVER doing a split tank setup again. They are generally a very bad idea, because this happens. Secondly, you shouldve done research before attempting it and you wouldve seen how bad it can be. And lastly, I can't figure out why you didn't stop it before it could get to this. You said it sat on top of the divider a while, well why did you just sit there?

P.S. And by looking at the pics, it looks like you just slapped something in there to divide it. Doesn't look like you thought this one out too much.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's 100% G. rosea. And I would suggest NEVER doing a split tank setup again. They are generally a very bad idea, because this happens. Secondly, you shouldve done research before attempting it and you wouldve seen how bad it can be. And lastly, I can't figure out why you didn't stop it before it could get to this. You said it sat on top of the divider a while, well why did you just sit there?

P.S. And by looking at the pics, it looks like you just slapped something in there to divide it. Doesn't look like you thought this one out too much.
+1. you could have probably used the search function (edit: scoured the boards, the search function didn't immediately lead me to "divided tank threads" threads, but i know they exist) and found out the horrors of split tanks without having this happen. i've seen enough threads warning about them, even since i've been here. it's not like sterilites or whatever plastic box you choose are expensive to cage another T.

Last edited:

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
I agree......Have you not ever handled your G. rosea? I would have scooped her up quickly since she would have probably been the slower of the two.....or something to block her.....

Its a bad deal....thats why all of us here encourage reading The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. It specifically states your situation......

Sorry for your loss.....luckily LPs are inexpensive

TerribleGrizz

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry for the loss of your first T.:( That said, I agree that this could've been prevented with a little research beforehand on the dangers of split enclosures.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow....and yet, when i gave you advice in another thread you acted like I was stupid! :rolleyes::wall:{D

Seriously. You ought to start doing some research before you go buying anything living again!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree......Have you not ever handled your G. rosea? I would have scooped her up quickly since she would have probably been the slower of the two.....or something to block her.....

Its a bad deal....thats why all of us here encourage reading The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. It specifically states your situation......

Sorry for your loss.....luckily LPs are inexpensive
They were both G. rosea. The OP thought the one in the pic was an LP.

And to answer the OP about the difference in G. rosea and L. parahybana... They are VERY easy to tell apart. Just look at some pics.

I'm really not that amazed by the fact that no research was done, I'm purely amazed by the fact that both Ts were just sitting there before this happened and nothing was done. Why would you sit back and watch instead of intervening?

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also, just for the record. split tanks are dangerous at all. I have done several, as have many other people. its the people designing them that are what makes them fail.

Case and point DawgPoundSound.

had he put forth a little bit of effort in research this would have not happened. there are threads upon threads on divided tanks. Also RobC even made a video of how he succesfully did it.

A little research effort goes a long way.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
i really don't see how this is funny... if i were you i would be sad, not giddy. you killed a living animal that kinda makes me sick!:barf: could you show us the divider??? i would like to see what you did and also why not do research...why not stop it...

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Alot of elitists and very unlikable people around here I see. First off, there is ZERO wrong with a split tank UNLESS there is an error in creating it, which I left the error of 1/2 inch opening which he quickly found his way through. Secondly, I don't live on Arachnoboards. So I didn't use the search function while out in the real world with my family for 10+ hours of the day.

And thirdly, if you don't have anything constructive and agreeable to say to people, ESPECIALLY after losing a pet, then keep your mouths shut and find another thread to post in. If 100% of you were so intelligent and All-Knowing about Tarantulas, there wouldn't be a thrad entitled "Bite Report" because everyone would be so All-Knowing not to get bitten at all.

And as for me handling every tanrantula that I now own? The answer is no!! I don't care WHAT kind it is. In the middle of something like that, you can get bitten, I've seen a few reports of people trying to intervene and gettin hit. So I was gonna coax him back away from danger because it was clear she wasn't having any parts of his advances.

A spider attack is quicker than any human on this planet so YOU need to research and get your facts together before you bash someone else. I see I need to keep a hotlist of the *you know whos* on these Forums

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
i really don't see how this is funny... if i were you i would be sad, not giddy. you killed a living animal that kinda makes me sick!:barf: could you show us the divider??? i would like to see what you did and also why not do research...why not stop it...
Giddy? Are you stupid? I said I was upset the entire night and half of today about it. Can you read? I'm not holding grudges against a female spider doing what she does naturally. And I didn't kill the Tarantula, SHE DID. Do me a favor and don't post in my threads anymore. You are elitist #2.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Also, just for the record. split tanks are dangerous at all. I have done several, as have many other people. its the people designing them that are what makes them fail.

Case and point DawgPoundSound.

had he put forth a little bit of effort in research this would have not happened. there are threads upon threads on divided tanks. Also RobC even made a video of how he succesfully did it.

A little research effort goes a long way.
Dude kill it. You people are starting to make me sick. 1/2 an inch mistake. ANYONE can do it. And I guarantee those making videos, and I speak to RobC through Youtube by the way, have made mistakes. He's one who's gotten bit more than once, and he's been doing this for years and years. yet according to you elitist, he has no clue what he's doing.

Some of you are a joke seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.