oh no!dropped my tarantula!!!:(

choas

Arachnopeon
My male rose hair just sprinted out of my hand onto the ground from a height of about 3-3 1/2 (maybe even 4)feet above ground. He is acting completely normal and has all his limbs intact and normal. Is there any specific signs of internal damage? and if so can he heal with a molt when he gets older ? I really would appreciate it if anyone could help! Even some comforting would be nice.... . I'm gonna die if anything happens to him :O. He has always been so nice and friendly with me > . < .

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My male rose hair just sprinted out of my hand onto the ground from a height of about 3-3 1/2 (maybe even 4)feet above ground. He is acting completely normal and has all his limbs intact and normal. Is there any specific signs of internal damage? and if so can he heal with a molt when he gets older ? I really would appreciate it if anyone could help! Even some comforting would be nice.... . I'm gonna die if anything happens to him :O. He has always been so nice and friendly with me > . < .

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
I'd only be worried if it was bleeding. Other wise he hould be fine.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Please keep me posted on this. I had a similar thing happen when I was a kid with what was sold to me as a "Honduran Bird Spider". It's been 20 years, and I have no pics, but in retrospect it was definately a male -- brown with ponounced front leg hooks and did sperm "webs". The internet is a wonderful tool. I wish I had had pics. This guy didn't ever even hint toward urticating hairs, but had a formidable legspan and was pretty aggressive and swiftly climbed like an arboreal (again, in retrospect). Sometimes I wonder if I had an old world. He died after (like recommended against in now readily available info.) getting a leg caught in my child set-up screen lid and hit the substrate with a "full" abdomen. I'll not lie: as I child I hoped we would pull through, but he didn't. Any abdomen breach seems likely fatal (sorry). Hopefully it wasn't that for yours! :8o
I once had a little T blondi fall and rupture her abdomen. I glued her back together with super glue. Unfortunatly she lost a lot of fluids and was close to a molt, she died about a month later while attempting to molt.

Thrasher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh man, I hope that will NEVER happen to me, I have a 5.5" B. ruhnaui. I love her to death.

i had a B.ruhnaui and my kid brother dropped her cage from about two feet and she seem okay about then 2 days later she was in a death curl so i would give it a day or two. because your T could have internal damage good luck

tckrouge

Arachnopeon
i checked back (1 day after the incident)
she seems fine (as if nothing happened) right now luckily.
Keep an eye on it and let us know! Sounds like she's ok! Taking a crap after a traumatic event is natural for every species! I'd be concerned if it was a breach in the abdomen but doesn't sound that way..

That t is lucky! But before bringing it to vegas, bring it out and get some lottery tickets!

Asian Flash

Arachnopeon
Yeah dude. Don't feel so bad. I dropped my Rosea 3 days ago from about 2 feet. She accually was on the desk and she just ran off :eek: I was crapping bunnies. Anyways, she looks fine, but really spooked. :confused: If I try picking her up she runs around like I'm trying to harm her. Anybody got any information why e-mail me at Matthewpark777@yahoo.com

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If I try picking her up she runs around like I'm trying to harm her. Anybody got any information why e-mail me at Matthewpark777@yahoo.com
1) Why DID you dig up an old thread for this?

2) The reason we have threads is so people can reply to them, it's kind of odd to post here and then try to make people email you instead of using the board. ;)

3) Never just put your tarantula on a high place like a desk ever again. Handle low over the floor or another soft surface. Tarantulas have extremely keen senses and are easily spooked, so accidents do happen when people are careless.

4) Your tarantula is running away from you because you're a giant animal that keeps trying to pick her up. She has no notion that you are a "friend" and never ever will. If she's not in the mood to tolerate being picked up, or is just a specimen that NEVER tolerates being picked up, you can't do anything about it.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This thread was dug up by Chaos. And it's his/her first post. Most likely used the search function or google and this thread was the first thing to pop up when searching for "dropped my tarantula".

It's not very useful to criticize that behavior, since it is most common among people who are just barely starting with the boards and have never read anyone's criticism on the subject. After a little time on the boards they typically don't resurrect super old threads like this, so there's no need to yap at them about it.

Regarding Chaos' question, it's really tough to tell whether there is internal damage in a tarantula. If they curl their legs underneath them tightly, that's an indicator of a problem, but it usually happens when it's too late for anything to be done. And unfortunately there may be some delay between the fall and death. Regarding internal injuries, there is pretty much nothing anyone can do. The best thing you can do is give your T lots of peace and quiet for a while (no food) and ample access to water.

Also, regarding your molt question, tarantulas can regenerate and repair a lot of what seem like big problems to us with a molt. But there are other people who report that tarantulas die during a molt after some injury, as has been stated in this thread. That doesn't seem real common, though. I'd say it's a good sign that your T is acting normal. It will most likely be fine. If it's still good in a few weeks, I would consider it pretty much in the clear.

And you learned a fine lesson.