North East US Centipedes

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The cute little red things that are underneath every single rock and log you pick up (in NY anyway)... the other day I grabbed six of them, have them in a small KK with dirt, rocks, bottlecap for water, etc. Don't plan on keeping them for too long, just to watch for a while really. They don't seem to mind huddling together.

I only had very large crickets so I gave them two "cricket drumsticks" and watched them chew them up a bit. Should I try feeding them small live crickets, or dead ones? Anything else I should try?

Has anyone kept these to see how long they generally live? I might try and see if I can keep some for the whole summer.

What I *really* want to get my hands on is a house centipede though, those guys are vicious {D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
those do sound like stone centipedes

actually, for their size, stoners are the most vicious cents i have ever kept. they will tackle prey that grossly outweighs them :D

depending on species and conditions they reach sexual maturity in something like 3-5 years! some species can live well over 5 years.

they will eat live prey, freshly killed, or scavenge partially rotting corpses. i expect you can get them to eat a variety of human prepared meats (i.e. ground beef etc)

they dehydrate VERY fast, so you need a fairly low ventilation cage or you need to arrange things so that part of the cage stays decently humid.

i raised a baby i captive hatched myself and it was just a little over a centimeter long after over a year!