Non-lethal venomous snakes?

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Pain in ya bum

Trust me i thought having hots would be so awesome look at me im the cool guy on the block,, and i was right i got all kind of Qs and oohs and awws, but you know something, its not worth it,
1st) You have to keep it locked down tight
2nd) no contact so you cant hold it to show it off, no touching it to make sure its warm, no help with it being dirty nothing
3rd) snakes in genreal are fast creatures so add speed and venom doesnt make the best combination in the world

Some good rear fanged colubrids i might suggest is the Rhamphiophis species(very active bird like as well they "telescope" and the ones my roomie has, has never shwon a mean bone is his body( run ya about 60$-80
The second is the psammophis little more flighty commonly brought in as feeder snakes Found them for 20-30 bucks

Good luck but all people do as they want and anyone can go herpin and stumble across a hot snake throw it in a cage

Frank S

Arachnopeon
There are many choices but just because they never killed before dont mean you wont be the first. A north american copperhead is probably less than leathal but you may loose a finger and you will have a bad day. Aspidelaps lubricus the coral cobra has a few to no recorded deaths. I breed them for years and they are usually all bluff and dont attempt to bite but you may be the first with no anti venom and American Dr. having no idea what to do for an African Elapid bite. Unless you have many years of handeling and treating reptile illness you should not consider a hot. Vets wont see them when they are sick, and just because you shouls take a hands off approach does not mean it will happen. I had 1.2 mole vipers years ago thet refuaed to feed on anything offered. They were fresh imports and stressed. I treated for parasites and ended up having to force feed the only snake s that you cant hold behind the head three times each before they started eating on their own. You never know what will happen and it is wrong not to keep any animal clean, healthy, and well fed because you bit off more than you can chew. I am not saying you will but I have seen this 100 times. If you do decide to get a ven of any type I will be more than happy to answer any question I have the answer to and I will find the answer if I dont know it. I do reccomend you think long and hard about a ven and get a nice pair of beauty snakes for now.
Frank

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Something this thread points out. It is a mistake, and a potentially serious one, to stereotype animals. An example is Pittbulllady having calm docile Ptyas Mucosa while in my couple dozen encounters with them they have lived up to their 'worlds most bite happy' reputation and then some. Thus, getting any reputed docile hot is asking for trouble. Like owning a gun, common sense demands you assume it ALWAYS loaded, regardless of how many people have checked the action and determined it to be empty.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have not made a comment on here in a very long time,I would take most of all considerations in mind, great ones, good ones, and bad ones.
I keep allot of highly venomous, among a bunch of other things, I recently mentored new keepers, it was very nail bitting on figuring out the person I was mentoring, more than snake we are working with at the time. In my experience it is a very touchy subject all around.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do any naturally eat adult mice?
No, Garters don't eat mice in the wild, but like Catfishrod said, they, along with most Water Snakes(which usually will take rats as adults), are easy to switch over to rodents because they're natural chow-hounds. They LOVE to eat. Garter and Water Snakes are no harder to care for than any other Colubrid snake, btw. AND, as a plus, if you get into a situation where you can't order or go buy rodents, you can shop for those guys' food at your local supermarket, since they will happily take strips of fresh fish fillets. You can't shop for most snake food in a grocery store!

pitbulllady

lizardminion

Arachnolord
No, Garters don't eat mice in the wild, but like Catfishrod said, they, along with most Water Snakes(which usually will take rats as adults), are easy to switch over to rodents because they're natural chow-hounds. They LOVE to eat. Garter and Water Snakes are no harder to care for than any other Colubrid snake, btw. AND, as a plus, if you get into a situation where you can't order or go buy rodents, you can shop for those guys' food at your local supermarket, since they will happily take strips of fresh fish fillets. You can't shop for most snake food in a grocery store!

pitbulllady
Yes, but then once the food is... biologically disposed of, creates a stinky, oily mess.