New to the hobby & twist of fate

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Jee you guys are nice here. Sure this is the Internet still? What s stark contrast. I was first browsing a German forum but did not even get active there due to the incredibly hostile tone, especially towards newcomers. How bizarre.

I'm glad to have found this place, lots of positive and helpful people here! Thank you everyone for the advice given.
I never cared about care sheets (ha), they don't make much sense from what I've seen so far and if you check 3 sheets for the same species, they all day different things anyways.
90% of what I learned I gathered here and on the other board. The rest on dedicated sites - but these can be minefields too I noticed.
Oh and YouTube of course! YouTube is an awesome source of wisdom. I learned how much a T loves to walk over carpets and how much fun it is for them to be handled and played with. So cute when they go into their defensive position right... :bored:
(I dearly hope the sarcasm was noted)

I figured the best thing to do is go where lots of opinions and experiences come together and go with gut feeling. I found that here!

Out of curiosity, what size A. geniculata are you getting? They're not defensive, but they do think that everything is food. Bitey little things.
Breeder said 3cm (1.2 inch I think), but that was last year when I ordered her. Considering that they grow like they eat radioactive waste, she will most likely be a little larger by then. And yes, Bitey little things indeed, but I don't bother at all, I do not want to handle any of them.
The thought of touching them doesn't really give me anything, except being worried about stressing or even hurting them (falling,...) them. What's the point then. For working in the tank, I got a long tweezer, so all she's gonna bite is prey, I hope.:shifty:

Thank you for taking the time and share all these information. Gladly, I can say that most things you mentioned aren't new to me and by now I am completely confident with having a sling.
I panicked at first because I had no idea what to expect. Now I know better, haha.

I will definitely consider removing her rock, however, I have a good gut feeling about it. She already created 2 additional exits by now (left and right in the back) and everything seems very stable. She would have to bulldoze the whole area, for whatever reason, and even then I doubt she'd be in danger.
Also, she started webbing it here and there and loves to sit on top of it at times, it feels wrong to destroy her home now. Of course, safety first, so I reconsider. Thanks for pointing that out!

About feeding, yes I also learned that I can basically stuff her like a turkey and need not worry, on the contrary even. She refused for the last 2 days (did that before as well) and I do think she got more shiny and that spot on her back darkened. Additionally, she's here nearly a months now and definitely well fed - she should really change her clothes soon. She better, I'm getting impatient. :D

I'll try to take another pic of her, you guys can probably judge it better. Thing is as soon as I lift the lid (she's in a braplast box) she grumpily wanders back into her cave. Now that I mention it, she changed behavior quite a bit. At first she kinda ignored her cave and as soon as the lid was lifted she confidently approached "me". Now she always goes to hide... Could that behavior be connected to a possible pre-molt phase?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I will definitely consider removing her rock, however, I have a good gut feeling about it. She already created 2 additional exits by now (left and right in the back) and everything seems very stable. She would have to bulldoze the whole area, for whatever reason, and even then I doubt she'd be in danger.
Also, she started webbing it here and there and loves to sit on top of it at times, it feels wrong to destroy her home now. Of course, safety first, so I reconsider. Thanks for pointing that out!
While I don't have this particular species, I can definitely attest to the "bulldozer" capabilities of various other tarantulas! My A. geniculata is currently my worst offender, but I've had several others that consistently undermine hides and water dishes. There is definitely a chance that she could get overzealous in her tunneling and end up with the rock caving in on her. My G. pulchripes sling has caved in his water dish (a plastic bottle cap) a couple of times already and one of my Aphonopelma sp. has converted his above-ground hide into a storm cellar.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I'll leave you with some parting advice. It's the sling's choice when it's had enough food. Feed, feed, feed! There is no such thing as a fat sling, only a happy sling
Glad to hear this! I actually have been worried about over-feeding my 3 slings. Especially my G. pulchripes, very fat abdomen on that one.

Back to OP, the G. pulchra is a great pick up for you! From what I saw at the recent expo, and everything I've read about them, you made out like a bandit. Hopefully you post more photos as he/she grows!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Welcome to the hobby:) Spiders are like pokemon.... you gotta catch 'em all!! Let's just see how long you can be happy with only two;) Also, who'd you buy from again? Let's see if I can score a free pulchra, too;)

Kidding aside, you made the right move coming here for advice. Always lots to learn, and plenty of people here to help you!

And in regards to the rock discussion..... Let's just say you'll be amazed by how much substrate a tarantula can move:wideyed: I'd hate to see an "RIP" post from you anytime soon:(.

Always keep a camera handy around your Ts. You just never know when you'll find them in the absolute perfect pose for a photo to share with us:happy:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It is very refreshing to read your enthousiasm mixed with good research :)
Apparently the German forum is getting less popular, as yours is the second time that i read it is not a nice crowd.
@boina has similar experience i believe.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Always keep a camera handy around your Ts. You just never know when you'll find them in the absolute perfect pose for a photo to share with us:happy:
Yeah I've learned that lesson fast.
I wanted to film her hunting, to show some friends who got curious. She refused food for the past two days, so I just dropped the cricket in casually before grabbing my cam... In a lightning-fast move she immediately pounced her prey while I was standing there, readying my cam...... :shifty:

It is very refreshing to read your enthousiasm mixed with good research :)
Apparently the German forum is getting less popular, as yours is the second time that i read it is not a nice crowd.
@boina has similar experience i believe.
"Not a nice crowd" is really an understatement. I could go into details, but what for in the end. Let's just say it really is a miserable place with a hand full of people who only seem to post to bash those more inexperienced to feel better about themselves - and instead of a mod team stopping it..... The mod team basically leads this cult from what I've gathered.
That's why this place here seems like the holy lands in comparison. ;)

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,
not sure why, I guess out of flaming enthusiasm, but I feel the need to share my story here.

Roughly two months ago, I noticed a native garden spider (Araneus diadematus) chilling in a corner of my living room. While not phobic or afraid of spiders in general, I wasn't exactly a fan of these rather strange creatures, but usually just let them be, or if annoyed, take them outside. However, seeing her every day (she's above the TV, would quickly get boring otherwise I guess) I started to wonder why a garden spider would stay here, how long it might survive without food and how it actually hunts etc.

I learned it probably just spends the winter here and will take a hike around spring without paying rent or saying bye. Tse!
However, suddenly - and no idea from where - the idea, or actually instant decision, that "I'm gonna get a Tarantula!" struck me and for the following weeks I sucked up every piece of information I could possibly find. After some more research I knew I want to buy from an experienced breeder and not the next best store with staff probably knowing less about the topic than I do by now.
I got lucky and after getting a tank etc, I ordered my first T - a crazily exciting feeling! My actual first choice was a beginners classic, a B. smithi, but after stumbling over A. geniculata and reading what owners had to say about them (greedy, confident and outside all the time) I changed my opinion instantly, while also stunned by their beauty.

Due to Mr. Frost thinking it's time to freeze the lands, I had to be patient and wait for weeks - it was horrible. Day X was 12 January and the package finally arrived. Nervous and squealing like a little girl, in a very manly way, of course, I started to unpack the box, acting as if a bomb about to go off is inside.

After a while of digging through paper and other isolation materials, I started to get suspicious of the packs size, being sure the geni I ordered would need more space. Long story short, in the end I was holding a little transparent plastic can (what do you guys call them again?), stuffed with paper and the following written on top of the cap:
"G. pulchra."

"G. whatnow!?" o_O

After an embarrassingly long brain lock-up I realized that the breeder made a very human mistake. He send me the wrong T.
I also realized, in all my wisdom, that this is a sling. A frigging baby, surely so fragile and care intensive that I will kill it due to stupidity in a matter of days. I panicked. Slings were the one topic I skipped completely, sure of "not getting a sling for a long time, if at all". On top of the panic came utter disappointment, as my actual order would not arrive for a long time due to rapidly falling temperatures.
All I wanted, all I was thinking about for weeks, was my geniculata, and now I have this... thing. :(

Long story short (sorry I suck at keeping things brief), the breeder gifted her to me as an apology and will send my geniculata as soon as possible - awesome.
So now, after nearly a month, I wouldn't give my plumpy little princess back, ever!
I have no idea how she did it, but this friggin 8-legged creep stole my heart in an instant. Fate brought us together and decided we're a team now. Fate also seems to think that my "one spider only!" idea was ridiculously naive, so it made sure I'm gonna have two of these adorable things very soon.
And I love it!

Whoever was bored enough to fight through my "teenager-in-love-like" drivel, I'm sorry! ;)

Have a great day,
Chris

Edit: The suspect in question...

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great story and what a phenomenal gift!!! I'm after a Grammostola pulchra myself. They're unbelievably stunning.

I always wince when I see a rock above a T. I always get a horrible feeling they'll dig away the sub and get squished.
If you're still after a G pulchra I know where there's a few juveniles for sale @£40

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Yeah I've learned that lesson fast.
I wanted to film her hunting, to show some friends who got curious. She refused food for the past two days, so I just dropped the cricket in casually before grabbing my cam... In a lightning-fast move she immediately pounced her prey while I was standing there, readying my cam...... :shifty:

"Not a nice crowd" is really an understatement. I could go into details, but what for in the end. Let's just say it really is a miserable place with a hand full of people who only seem to post to bash those more inexperienced to feel better about themselves - and instead of a mod team stopping it..... The mod team basically leads this cult from what I've gathered.
That's why this place here seems like the holy lands in comparison. ;)
Hello everyone,
not sure why, I guess out of flaming enthusiasm, but I feel the need to share my story here.

Roughly two months ago, I noticed a native garden spider (Araneus diadematus) chilling in a corner of my living room. While not phobic or afraid of spiders in general, I wasn't exactly a fan of these rather strange creatures, but usually just let them be, or if annoyed, take them outside. However, seeing her every day (she's above the TV, would quickly get boring otherwise I guess) I started to wonder why a garden spider would stay here, how long it might survive without food and how it actually hunts etc.

I learned it probably just spends the winter here and will take a hike around spring without paying rent or saying bye. Tse!
However, suddenly - and no idea from where - the idea, or actually instant decision, that "I'm gonna get a Tarantula!" struck me and for the following weeks I sucked up every piece of information I could possibly find. After some more research I knew I want to buy from an experienced breeder and not the next best store with staff probably knowing less about the topic than I do by now.
I got lucky and after getting a tank etc, I ordered my first T - a crazily exciting feeling! My actual first choice was a beginners classic, a B. smithi, but after stumbling over A. geniculata and reading what owners had to say about them (greedy, confident and outside all the time) I changed my opinion instantly, while also stunned by their beauty.

Due to Mr. Frost thinking it's time to freeze the lands, I had to be patient and wait for weeks - it was horrible. Day X was 12 January and the package finally arrived. Nervous and squealing like a little girl, in a very manly way, of course, I started to unpack the box, acting as if a bomb about to go off is inside.

After a while of digging through paper and other isolation materials, I started to get suspicious of the packs size, being sure the geni I ordered would need more space. Long story short, in the end I was holding a little transparent plastic can (what do you guys call them again?), stuffed with paper and the following written on top of the cap:
"G. pulchra."

"G. whatnow!?" o_O

After an embarrassingly long brain lock-up I realized that the breeder made a very human mistake. He send me the wrong T.
I also realized, in all my wisdom, that this is a sling. A frigging baby, surely so fragile and care intensive that I will kill it due to stupidity in a matter of days. I panicked. Slings were the one topic I skipped completely, sure of "not getting a sling for a long time, if at all". On top of the panic came utter disappointment, as my actual order would not arrive for a long time due to rapidly falling temperatures.
All I wanted, all I was thinking about for weeks, was my geniculata, and now I have this... thing. :(

Long story short (sorry I suck at keeping things brief), the breeder gifted her to me as an apology and will send my geniculata as soon as possible - awesome.
So now, after nearly a month, I wouldn't give my plumpy little princess back, ever!
I have no idea how she did it, but this friggin 8-legged creep stole my heart in an instant. Fate brought us together and decided we're a team now. Fate also seems to think that my "one spider only!" idea was ridiculously naive, so it made sure I'm gonna have two of these adorable things very soon.
And I love it!

Whoever was bored enough to fight through my "teenager-in-love-like" drivel, I'm sorry! ;)

Have a great day,
Chris

Edit: The suspect in question...

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
My twist of fate and new found enthusiasm came believe it or not at a reptile show I take my son too. I don't know why but this year I wanted to try holding a T. The keeper had a beautiful golden knee female. She was so delicate and comfortable in my hand. It was like we were made for one another. When I came home my husband was less than thrilled at the announcement I was getting one. But as I point out to both my husband and my son who both do not like spiders, you are not getting it I am! Have narrowed my choice to 3 species recommend for beginners however if anyone else has any other suggestions for beginners would be great. Excited to start the journey.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Needs to be a female.
I'd sell you my adult female but it's £1,000000 per leg, £2,000000 per palp and I need all your internal organs as a down payment. So I'll leave the ball in your court.
On a serious note I'm not sure if any of the 2 are female or not. They are at Virginia cheesemans btw

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'd sell you my adult female but it's £1,000000 per leg, £2,000000 per palp and I need all your internal organs as a down payment. So I'll leave the ball in your court.
On a serious note I'm not sure if any of the 2 are female or not. They are at Virginia cheesemans btw
I think you're under selling your girl to be fair.

Ah cheers.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
DIBS!!

Ok, now what's the exchange rate?;)

boina

Lady of the mites
Jee you guys are nice here. Sure this is the Internet still? What s stark contrast. I was first browsing a German forum but did not even get active there due to the incredibly hostile tone, especially towards newcomers. How bizarre.
You and me both. Like @Andrea82 said, I've already vented a little around here about German forums. I have been assured though, that it's a lot nicer around here :D

Congratulations to your new spider! I got three G. pulchras a couple of years ago, since I wanted to make sure I got a girl... I was lucky, turns out they are 2 girls and a boy :) They do grow slow, though.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
In a lightning-fast move she immediately pounced her prey while I was standing there, readying my cam...... :shifty:
Haha nice! Sometimes, they grab them so fast, it looks like it didn't even get a chance to touch the substrate.

Let's just say it really is a miserable place with a hand full of people who only seem to post to bash those more inexperienced to feel better about themselves
Discussion forums can be tricky to run, I think. Behind a computer, everyone can appear to be an expert, especially with Google on the next tab over. Online, people can have this virtual self that can be whatever they create. But quite often, basic social skills and common decency are overlooked because the interaction lacks the feeling of "presence." People don't get the same emotional feedback they would in a real social interaction. Things get misunderstood, which leads to heated arguments. Next thing you know, you have a handful of arrogant farts running the place:meh:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My twist of fate and new found enthusiasm came believe it or not at a reptile show I take my son too. I don't know why but this year I wanted to try holding a T. The keeper had a beautiful golden knee female. She was so delicate and comfortable in my hand. It was like we were made for one another. When I came home my husband was less than thrilled at the announcement I was getting one. But as I point out to both my husband and my son who both do not like spiders, you are not getting it I am! Have narrowed my choice to 3 species recommend for beginners however if anyone else has any other suggestions for beginners would be great. Excited to start the journey.
We are very limited in Canada, since we only have three main dealers who ship nationwide. May I ask who you were planning on ordering from? Then, I could go through their price list and make suggestions.
Right off the bat, I would suggest that you spend a little more and go for a juvenile/sub-adult/adult female. There are only two dealers that have a good selection with that criteria.