New to the hobby & twist of fate

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
We are very limited in Canada, since we only have three main dealers who ship nationwide. May I ask who you were planning on ordering from? Then, I could go through their price list and make suggestions.
Right off the bat, I would suggest that you spend a little more and go for a juvenile/sub-adult/adult female. There are only two dealers that have a good selection with that criteria.
I have emailed 2 dealers both do not have Pink Zebra Beauty, they have B. smithi.
I want a female for sure as they live longer I have read. Arachnophilliacs do not have Pink Zebra Beauty and neither does tarantula Canada . However I was told they are getting a shipment in April. I see a lot of people are selling Chilean Rose, Pink Toes etc.
I don't mind Honduran curly hair but the females don't live as long.
The T growing slowly is not a concern for me.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
However I was told they are getting a shipment in April.
Who is getting in a shipment? Tarantula Canada? Yahoo! I'm going to email them right now and beg for a couple to be put aside for me.
I don't mind Honduran curly hair but the females don't live as long.
E.campestratus and B.albopilosum have the same general life span for females... around 20 years.

Turiell

Arachnopeon
@Kendricks Oh wow, how lucky you are! I'm so jealous! I want a G.Pulchra very badly. I ordered a young female not long ago and she was DOA. Talk about being devastated! This is my number one most wanted T and I hope to have one soon.

I'm glad yours is healthy and am so happy she's been such a joy to you. Have fun with her and enjoy her every second, as well as your A.geniculata! And welcome to the hobby! :)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I want a G.Pulchra very badly. I ordered a young female not long ago and she was DOA. Talk about being devastated! This is my number one most wanted T and I hope to have one soon.
Keep looking! Pulchras are worth it.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Who is getting in a shipment? Tarantula Canada? Yahoo! I'm going to email them right now and beg for a couple to be put aside for me.

E.campestratus and B.albopilosum have the same general life span for females... around 20 years.
Tarantula Canada and Tangled Webs

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
@Kendricks Oh wow, how lucky you are! I'm so jealous! I want a G.Pulchra very badly. I ordered a young female not long ago and she was DOA. Talk about being devastated! This is my number one most wanted T and I hope to have one soon.

I'm glad yours is healthy and am so happy she's been such a joy to you. Have fun with her and enjoy her every second, as well as your A.geniculata! And welcome to the hobby! :)
Thank you, I hope you'll get yours soon!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Tarantula Canada and Tangled Webs
I contacted Amanda last night and they are keeping their eye open for them. They have not been able to find any from the people they import from.
No guarantees that they will be around this spring, but we can hope. Lots and lots of people are desperate for them.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
OMG OMG OMG it's happening!

Just checked and found her main entrance sealed off tight over night. I guess I read the pre-molt signs right and good thing I decided to wait with replacing her rock.
Can't wait for her to emerge again, hopefully all goes well!
Oh gawd what if not?!
So this is what parents go through.
1:1 the same - for sure! :astonished::anxious::eek:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
OMG OMG OMG it's happening!

Just checked and found her main entrance sealed off tight over night. I guess I read the pre-molt signs right and good thing I decided to wait with replacing her rock.
Can't wait for her to emerge again, hopefully all goes well!
Oh gawd what if not?!
So this is what parents go through.
1:1 the same - for sure! :astonished::anxious::eek:
Relax, take a deep breath, and hold it until she finishes her molt!
Nah, just kidding ;) it will be fine, remember, keep the waterdish full, disturbances to a minimum and your patience up :)

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
You demand the impossible!! :eek:

Nah, I'm good, did fill her water up after taking the pic and just leave her be. Really curious about her new dress! Will report back when there are any news.

Turiell

Arachnopeon
Thank you, I hope you'll get yours soon!
@Kendricks Well I got lucky today, actually. I was a bad person and ordered the last four G.Pulchra slings from fearnottarantulas.com! My mother and my best friend (they both live with me) looked at me like o_O because when we get these four there will be ten tarantulas living in the house. But honestly they really don't mind too much. My mom loves to watch me feed "the bugs" as she calls them, and while I'm doing that she'll sing songs to the other tarantulas waiting to be fed. For some reason she started calling my E.sp Red female Cinderella and then sang the "So This Is Love" song from the Disney movie. She sang so softly and gently, never touching the enclosure because she didn't want to upset Cinderella. It was so funny to me, watching her do that. Yeah, mom really likes my tarantulas. My best friend does too. She also sits and watches me feed them, armed with a catch cup in case one bolts out. Thankfully none have so far. Tonight when I was doing maintenence I saw that one of my smaller Dolichothele diamantinensis had molted and I was so excited because it's the first time one has molted in my care. Anyway while I was doing the happy dance my best friend was busy carefully picking the pin head roaches out of the enclosure because she was worried they would bother the baby. As far as I know they don't bother a molting tarantula. Is that true? I was just wondering.

Anyway, my excitement of four G.Pulchra and my first tarantula molting has made me yak too much, sorry. I see your beautiful baby is getting ready to molt too! That is so cool! I'm sure she'll be gorgeous when she’s done. I'll be thinking about you and your baby, and will be watching this thread waiting for you to show us pictures of her new dress! :)

Last edited:

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Adorable how your gang is out and about for your collection!
And congratulations to your G. pulchra batch, I'm sure you'll love them, mine fascinates me every day... Well, usually. She's still locked up. Maybe she's not molting, maybe she's mad with me over something and now just gives me the silent treatment?!
Ah well, girls. o_O:D

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Adorable how your gang is out and about for your collection!
And congratulations to your G. pulchra batch, I'm sure you'll love them, mine fascinates me every day... Well, usually. She's still locked up. Maybe she's not molting, maybe she's mad with me over something and now just gives me the silent treatment?!
Ah well, girls. o_O:D
Lol...there is nothing silent about shutting the burrow closed with webbing. In Theraphosidae-language, that means 'leave me alone!' :D

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Quick update, on the morning of 2 March, her cave was open again and a "new" spider was chilling inside. She has visibly grown, looks healthy and has quadrupled her beauty-level, now sporting a blue-gray shining outfit, much better compared to the rather dull old dress! (not been able to take a good pic since she's hiding most of the time)

I've also seen her kicking hair for the first time which was beyond adorable, coming from such a small thing.

She's very skittish, like she was in premolt, but I found her in her "let's see if there's any food" ambush-position and tossed her a small cricket, which she is still munching on.

Oh right, the lady isn't too tidy it seems, as her old dress is in a corner of her hide - no chance getting it as long as she's constantly in there.

That's it for now. Glad all went well. :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Quick update, on the morning of 2 March, her cave was open again and a "new" spider was chilling inside. She has visibly grown, looks healthy and has quadrupled her beauty-level, now sporting a blue-gray shining outfit, much better compared to the rather dull old dress! (not been able to take a good pic since she's hiding most of the time)

I've also seen her kicking hair for the first time which was beyond adorable, coming from such a small thing.

She's very skittish, like she was in premolt, but I found her in her "let's see if there's any food" ambush-position and tossed her a small cricket, which she is still munching on.

Oh right, the lady isn't too tidy it seems, as her old dress is in a corner of her hide - no chance getting it as long as she's constantly in there.

That's it for now. Glad all went well. :)
You're alive! :p

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Apparently, little miss kiss my butt has a computer and Internet in her hide where she follows my every move on this board, for I just found her exuvia outside of her home. What a "coincidence".
Not much left of it though, will check it in detail tomorrow.

PS: please bring out your trash after dinner as well, I don't want your room to smell young lady!