New to the hobby stressing about husbandry need help!!!!

jae Ortiz

Arachnopeon
I just got my first G. Pulchra I’m new to T’s and am worried because T hasn’t eaten since rehousing. I’m not experienced enough to know if Sling is in Pre-molt and I don’t want to stress it out by checking on it or trying to keep feeding her while she’s in pre-molt (if that’s the case) Also worried enclosure isn’t the best wanted opinions from experienced or experts. Here are some pictures of my G. Pulchra sling… I moved her to a smaller enclosure now so that I could see her behaviors more easily I would lose her in the larger inclosure after she burrows and covers it I would be worried she escaped and dig her out which is why I switch to smaller enclosure so it’s more Convenient for me to care for her.

Attachments

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Doesn't look like premolt to me, the tan patch on the abdomen will turn shiny and dark as a molt approaches and the new urticating hairs can be seen through the current exoskeleton. Don't stress out too much, these are hardy creatures who mostly take care of themselves! Feel free to offer food, keeping in mind that mealworms will burrow unless you prekill them.
Also, it's difficult to tell size from pictures, but it's important to make sure your ventilation holes aren't the same size or larger than the size of your sling's carapace. They can fit out of surprisingly small spaces and escapes are to be avoided at all costs!

jae Ortiz

Arachnopeon
Doesn't look like premolt to me, the tan patch on the abdomen will turn shiny and dark as a molt approaches and the new urticating hairs can be seen through the current exoskeleton. Don't stress out too much, these are hardy creatures who mostly take care of themselves! Feel free to offer food, keeping in mind that mealworms will burrow unless you prekill them.
Also, it's difficult to tell size from pictures, but it's important to make sure your ventilation holes aren't the same size or larger than the size of your sling's carapace. They can fit out of surprisingly small spaces and escapes are to be avoided at all costs!
I

if it’s not pre-molt than why does she keep refusing food should I keep offering daily, weekly etc? (Also shes 1 inch)

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I

if it’s not pre-molt than why does she keep refusing food should I keep offering daily, weekly etc? (Also shes 1 inch)
They can take a while to settle down after a rehouse, I would recommend offering food weekly, and keeping a full water dish available

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I

Because it's not hungry. How often were you feeding it and what did you offer?

The smaller enclosure is better, but even that is too large in my opinion. My slings stay in dram vials or 5oz condiment cups until they are bigger than 1.5" or so:
20230526_215834.jpg

Spiders don't need to eat every day or even every week to survive - some adults can go YEARS without eating. Don't stress about feeding it, just make sure it has water and offer prey every 2-3 weeks until it either starts eating again or molts.

jae Ortiz

Arachnopeon

The smaller enclosure is better, but even that is too large in my opinion. My slings stay in dram vials or 5oz condiment cups until they are bigger than 1.5" or so:
View attachment 446421

Spiders don't need to eat every day or even every week to survive - some adults can go YEARS without eating. Don't stress about feeding it, just make sure it has water and offer prey every 2-3 weeks until it either starts eating again or molts.
5 x 3 x 2.5 is the enclosure size I’ve had her for about a week and she still hasn’t eaten even avoids the food. I offer mealworms freshly killed and cut in half. (She’s 1inch sling)

View attachment 446421

Thanks for advice tho I’m just gonna leave her alone try feeding every Wednesday starting next week and just refilling her water dish daily

unless you think I can replace water less often a lot of information I found says to replace water daily and overfill the dish a little to raise humidity
The substrate is moist I’m just waiting till it gets dry because I don’t wanna remove her and cause any stress or discomfort

Thanks for the information I will definitely just give her time more time to settle in to her enclosure and offer food once or twice a week
Still waiting on her to burrow but the enclosure is pretty small only about 2 inches of substrate because anymore substrate would cover ventilation holes

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for advice tho I’m just gonna leave her alone try feeding every Wednesday starting next week and just refilling her water dish daily

unless you think I can replace water less often a lot of information I found says to replace water daily and overfill the dish a little to raise humidity
The substrate is moist I’m just waiting till it gets dry because I don’t wanna remove her and cause any stress or discomfort
That's good - just refill the water dish when it's almost empty, but don't overflow it each time. The substrate should be moist in a corner of the enclosure then allowed to dry out most of the way before you add more water to it. These little enclosures can get swampy real quick, especially when the sling starts flipping the dish or filling it with dirt (which it will almost certainly do), so just be aware not to let it become saturated (there should always be a dry area).

cold blood

Staff member
I

Fat ts, regardless of size, do NOT need food...and your t is certainly a fatty. There is literally no reason to offer food to a fat t refusing food....its a waiting game, be patient.

The fact that its not late pre-molt, doesn't mean it hasn't eaten its fill for the molt cycle....it could go another 6 months without eating and it would be a complete non-issue...in fact a long fast is perfectly normal for this species...especially if it was fattene3d quickly after its last molt.

Stop worrying...keep the enclosure predominantly dry and the water dish full...I would also bury the water dish a bit so it is more at ground level and more easily accessible.

I’m just gonna leave her alone try feeding every Wednesday starting next week
pointless
I found says to replace water daily
that's absurd...are you reading care sheets?
and overfill the dish a little to raise humidity
humidity isn't a word you even need to think of, this is a tarantula, not a salamander.

Its literally as easy as keeping the sub dry and water dish full....when the water dries up, add more.......there is little point in doing anything tarantula related on any set schedule.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Read the forum - search for all the questions already asked by others in the past 20+ yrs - nothing has changed !

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Its looks like its sufficiently plump and isn't going to need to eat again until after it molts. Just keep the water dish full and wait. It will molt when it is ready to, likely not before that. Until then wait!

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
It may be just settling in. G. pulchra are known burrowers/bulldozers. Perhaps try providing a hide so it can feel more secure.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It may be just settling in. G. pulchra are known burrowers/bulldozers. Perhaps try providing a hide so it can feel more secure.
yes good catch I didn't realize there was no hide!

Now that I looked at the photo again, I also suggest burying the water dish so that its down more at substate level. and while I am here, I do think it could go into a smaller enclosure especially if there's a fair amount of depth to that container you don't want to allow species like this to dig deep.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
First off, I got good news for you! Ts are probably easier to keep than a cactus especially G pulchra.

The enclosure looks good, maybe a bit too big but not bad.

Ts rarely eat immediately after rehousing. Give it time to get used to its new enclosure. Doesn't necessarily look to be in premolt for me but it could be. Try offering food again in 3 or 4 days if it doesn't molt.