new T, what should i get!?

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had always thought TKG was little overly paranoid with the claim that A. moderatum is aggressive and would bite with little provocation, then I read James bite repot of his fathers bite. Now I think that A. moderatum may be unreliable and should be handled with a little caution.

Also I think you would be happy with the G. pulchra and/or any of the Avic's.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I think it's the same thing with any tarantula, maybe the one they were describing might be like my 'Psycho' the crazed wannabe a pTerror G.rosea. I've got both a male and juv. female A.moderatum and they are both pure sweeties. Matter of fact, almost all of my Aphonopelma's are pretty sweet and can be handled, at least the ones from our desert South west. I've even handled my adult female A.seemanni but she is just way too nervous for it to be safe handling her free handed, she needs to be cupped or in a delicup. All Ts are subject to their own personality traits true, but A.moderatum is a very nice looking North American species and IMO should be a part of any collection :D

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i actually already have a B. smithi. :) you can see the Ts i own through the link in my sig. that definitely helps show a preference for the types of Ts i prefer.

i'm also recently considering a B. ruhnaui, thoughts?

the G. pulchra and A. versicolor top my list at present. argh, i am torn. :( i'd also like to be getting them from the same place to lessen shipping costs and as i'd mentioned, don't want anything smaller than 1"...

...so, i'll be looking for a bit. :)

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
does anyone know offhand how quickly G. pulchra and A. versi grow?

thanks! |D

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G.pulchra is a slow growing T, the last time mine moulted there wasnt a lot of difference in size only the lovely jet black colouration.

On the other hand my versi's grow pretty fast especially as slings. I think my adult female as just moulted but untill I see her out and about I cant really tell.

Chid

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
b.ruhnaui seems like another T to be enjoyed by your grandchildren :) mine molted from 4th to 5th molt 40 days ago...almost didnt grow at all..now is +- 2 centimeter. doesnt show any darkening, I expect next molt no sooner than in 3 weeks. if you are really patient, go for it, should look really nice as an adult :)

but A.versicolor would be adult twice in the same time..mine in 3rd molt is already one inch and is very pretty =D

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Grammostola pulchra is very slowly growing T... It takes almost forever for this species to molt... At least for my one... =D

But Brachypelma ruhnaui is very good choice :) Not so fast growing species but very docile and calm. And also great looking... Mine is also very good eater... Go for it if you can :D

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I just bought a Versi off of a guy in Montreal and his started out same size as mine 1/2" and in 6 months it was over 2" maybe 3" didnt get a good look as it was in its web, but he was surprised because it had molted again and it had just molted a little over 2 weeks ago. So I think that the Versi's are pretty fast growers. Mine is only 1/2" right now so im sure it wont take long until she molts.

Go for the Versi I know you want one :p they are so beautiful, from a bright blue to an amazing purple/red/green

peace

TheDon

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks guys you all are SO helpful. :) isn't it exciting talking about someone (not just me) getting a new T? everybody seems to get involved and it rekindles feelings of new pets you've gotten in the past. i love it!

well, i DO desperately want a versi. (sob) ARGGGH! but then again i want all three! lol. the main thing is finding a 1" somewhere at a reasonable price.

exopets.com seems to have a nice G. pulchra AND an A. versi for some good prices. so...arrrrrgh. we'll see. :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Poor skadiwolf... you REALLY don't need to be in such agony over this decision because in the end..... YOU'LL END UP WITH EVERY SPECIES THAT CATCHES YOUR EYE!:D

So cheer up, buy the first one that's available, and the others will soon follow. Trust me... you will have 40 of them before you know it!!;)

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
lol!!! actually before i get 40 i'm sure my boyfriend will chain me down and steal my debit card. hehehee.

(grin) i don't even want that many kinds of Ts honestly. i like the docile ones and of those i don't want all of them.

but...we'll see won't we? (grin) ;P

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
YES, WE WILL! I'm printing this thread... I'm saving it forever. And when you post a new thread titled "Getting My 40th T, What Should I Buy?" I'm gonna remind you!!=D The addiction creeps up on you soooo sloooowly that you won't know what hit you! RIGHT EVERYONE?!

Plus, you probably have like 20 years left until YOU turn 40!!

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hehehe, i'll hold you to that and if you do it i will be HUGELY impressed! lol.

nah...i'm actually 29. thanks for the compliment however. |D

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Yeah, and I would love to be the first to remind you that you said you would never have 40 Ts when you reach that prized
100 mark ;P It happens to the most controlled T hobbiest, sooner or later :D

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hmm

I think I'm going in that direction also...
didn't I said I was just going to have dociles ones also?
now I have a P.murinus and some psalmopeous species wow time passes by and you remeber when you were young and smart.... um any ways have a nice day
geo

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
no way, no way. i think with that many i'd lose track of them. i wouldn't be able to track molts as easily or get excited about them. what if i didn't realize one was due to molt, it got stuck and because i had so many i couldn't help it and it died? :(

nah, i don't think i'll ever get over 20 Ts and that would surprise me if i had that many. :)

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
alright, i did it. (smirk)

i got a 2" G. pulchra and a 3/4" A. versicolor.

i'm so excited i think i'm going to pass out... =D

oh yes, and for the freebie, instead of a B. albo, i was offered a baby AGB milli and took it!

yes! :D

now just to wait until they come in...arrrrgh...never been a huge one for that...what's that word, pat-something? ;)

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good choice. You wont be disappointed with those.
Chid

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, my two new Ts and my two baby AGB millis should come in on tuesday! i am EXTREMELY excited!!!

oh, and...-ahem- happy announcement, i got a part-time job! |D now, as some of you know, i'm a pet sitter, however, pet sitting does NOT pay all the bills and it's a relatively new business venture for me...(march).

soOOoo, i got a job at my favorite local pet store! |D not only will i enjoy working with all the animals i get to add my knowledge to theirs and help care for all the lucky critters. ;)

they are EXCELLENT but still don't know as much in some areas. i've been a long-time customer, always making suggestions and they always took them seriously. in fact, the interview was two questions: what was my schedule and when could i start? teehee!

so happy. just wanted to share the good news. i am really, REALLY happy right now. :) it isn't much money, but i'm doing it more for experience as well as the ability to be able to share my knowledge with others. besides, i was always there giving advice to customers anyway, now i'll just get paid for it. :p