New Sling Enclosures

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
So I'm about to order my first T's ever and I just want to make sure I'll put them in homes that are suitable for 2 tiny slings.
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (1 inch)
Acanthoscurria geniculata (1/2 inch)

I've gone the route of 2 tiny baseball/softball display cases for their homes because I think they look so much better than deli cups. 4in x 4in each so they should be sufficient homes for a while at least!
So a couple of questions.

1) Have I added enough holes for ventilation while also allowing the humidity to stay on the higher side for the slings? A total of 32, 1/16th inch holes on the sides and 9 on top (well 4 1/8th inch holes on the one lid before I went smaller).
http://i.imgur.com/tJoXsJE.jpg

2) I'm using eco earth cocofiber for the substrate. Do I need to sterilize it? Seems some say do, some say don't. Also I'm assuming that to make a good and solid substrate base,just dampen the sub and pat it down? Also, I'll have enough sub in the enclosures to fill up to the bottom rows of holes.

3) I have a mountain of small river rocks from all over the world that have been sitting around the house for years and years and I was going to use 2 really flat and light weight rocks stuck deep into the sub at an angle for the hide (with a tunnel started by my fingers). Does that sound reasonable enough?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As an owner of several C. cyano's that container will work. They are pretty fast, at least for most first time T owners. For a terrestrial species they are extremely nimble vertically and they grow fast. You'll need a new container in no time, so good luck!

You cannot sterilize substrate unless you own an autoclave. If you want to heat it in the oven, that's up to you, it won't be sterile. I never have right out of the bag.

I would not worry about humidity for your GBB, they are a hardy species and can handle it on the dry side, but do provide a WATER BOWL.

Don't use rocks, use cork bark it's safer. Your substrate is soft and can cause cave-ins, having a rock cave-in on a T is not nice.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Alrighty, awesome! Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll just be sure to grab some cork bark and will set the enclosures up and get the slings ordered!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alrighty, awesome! Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll just be sure to grab some cork bark and will set the enclosures up and get the slings ordered!
It's nice to see someone ask questions BEFORE they own the animals for a change!

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
It's nice to see someone ask questions BEFORE they own the animals for a change!
I like to know as much as possible about an animal and the care before I get involved with anything! If I'm in charge of this critter, I want to make sure it has as good of a life as I can give it.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Well finally got around to getting everything together! Finished my semester and now working on the T's. Here are their enclosures. Substrate ranges between 2 to 3 inches deep, bone dry at the moment, but holds structure wonderfully if either sling decides to burrow. Just needing to go out and grab a soda at some point today to get the last water-dish in and it'll be good to go. Ordered the slings today!

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
These look like great enclosures for the two your getting, Just some words of advice be ready for a rehouse or two in a couple of months in my experience both of those species are fast growers. For example I got my genic as a 1.5 inch juvie in late 2014/ early 2015 and she is now a 6 inch female. Good Luck!:)

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Thanks, tarantula! I'm totally ready for the rehousing. I'll probably rehouse each two times in total. One time after they outgrow these, and then the final rehousing into their full size adult enclosure. I'm just doing a ton of shopping around, looking for the proper pieces of wood for the final homes!

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Yep definitely good to prepare for future rehousing's now , After my genics next molt I'll be rehousing her from a five gallon to a 10 gallon. Just a suggestion if you want to find cool pieces of wood without spending to much I suggest to just go looking in a wooded area near you as long as its public property of course. After you find said perfect piece of wood bake it for about 5 min at 400 degrees make sure to keep an eye on it well its baking don't wanna start any fires LoL.:banghead:

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Yep definitely good to prepare for future rehousing's now , After my genics next molt I'll be rehousing her from a five gallon to a 10 gallon. Just a suggestion if you want to find cool pieces of wood without spending to much I suggest to just go looking in a wooded area near you as long as its public property of course. After you find said perfect piece of wood bake it for about 5 min at 400 degrees make sure to keep an eye on it well its baking don't wanna start any fires LoL.:banghead:
Oh lord! Yeah I would be a dead-man-walking if I started a fire in the ovens... I'll do my best to avoid that :anxious:. I might just try the walking around in the woods to see what I can find! The problem with living in Florida is so often the wood I find is rotten :c Gotta love the humidity

Where did you get those beautiful enclosures?
Hobby Lobby! Softball display cases that I drilled some holes into! A member on here started a thread on this a little while ago and posted a video.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/awesome-hobby-lobby-sling-enclosures.285155/ There it is!