Awesome Hobby Lobby Sling Enclosures

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Here are some sling enclosures that I made from Hobby Lobby display cases. I think they look pretty cool. I'll see how my slings like them. The pop of the deli cup lids always freaks them out. IMG_0476.JPG IMG_0476.JPG IMG_0478.JPG IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0480.JPG

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Where in the store did you find these, specifically? Do you have the brand name or an item number? How much did you pay? I'd love to pick some up for myself.

Completely unrelated note: Go Huskers ;)

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Where in the store did you find these, specifically? Do you have the brand name or an item number? How much did you pay? I'd love to pick some up for myself.

Completely unrelated note: Go Huskers ;)
Just caught the "Go Huskers!" Haha! Hopefully its a good season cause its my last year as a UNL student!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Just caught the "Go Huskers!" Haha! Hopefully its a good season cause its my last year as a UNL student!
I graduated back in 2014, it was a great school. I was there the first year that they were part of the Big Ten. Quite a commotion those Lincolnites made, I'll tell you. What's your major? I was in Mathematics.

Thanks for the info on those enclosures, you better believe I'll be getting some soon.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@viper69
Check these out. They look like they're friction locking, and the price isn't terrible. I'm especially drawn towards the one for terrestrials, AMAC boxes have dropped the ball on that particular shape.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I graduated back in 2014, it was a great school. I was there the first year that they were part of the Big Ten. Quite a commotion those Lincolnites made, I'll tell you. What's your major? I was in Mathematics.

Thanks for the info on those enclosures, you better believe I'll be getting some soon.
I'm over at the College of Law on East Campus finishing my J.D.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69
Check these out. They look like they're friction locking, and the price isn't terrible. I'm especially drawn towards the one for terrestrials, AMAC boxes have dropped the ball on that particular shape.
You mean Sam's find? If so, they were already found here by @bryverine http://arachnoboards.com/threads/cheap-enclosure-8-16-9-x4-x4.280587/ :D

Check out his PDF file, pretty well done.

The only reason I haven't obtained them is because the lids come off so smoothly, for slings prob OK. But for some of my larger Ts, I think they could lift the lid, not willing to chance it really. I think the boxes are a good intermediate size for 2-4" Avics.

I haven't had the time to make one like Bry did just yet.

@EulersK IF you get them, check the company website FIRST. They often have 50% off coupon/item/day. Print as many as you want and go several days in a row.

Sometimes they have RUBs too!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are always right near the model cars and planes. Here is a link to many that they offer. http://www.hobbylobby.com/search/?text=display+cases
Thanks for the template. I presume for the baseball container? Nice video I like that you put a condiment cup there for perspective w/the Matchbox container. Good video as always. Nice setups too!

Sam I'd be reluctant to use the hides that you nicely made because they may be too heavy for slings. A cave in w/your sub, could cause injury w/the hide's weight being they have stones. Better off with cork, OR you could can use PVC (SUPER cheap), hot glue sub onto it, or cocofiber pad and then moss on top if you like. I use this for Ts that are about 2"-4" at times. Mostly smaller end.

One more note on the PVC. I take a fine grit sandpaper and roughen up the inside a bit so the T has something to grab onto should they want to. It's more important for arboreals than terrestrials, but I do it the land lovers too. It also provides micro-anchor points for webbing.

For Ts less than 2" I let them build their own home. I lay down the sub and add in cork bark pieces or chips depending upon size of T, and let them take over and do their thing, much easier for me at least.

I think the hides are cute don't get me wrong, just seem a bit dangerous.

For water bowls, you MAY want to look into this http://www.tarantulasus.com/showthread.php/4353-A-tip-for-a-Tip-resistant-water-dish

I use the method shown in that link very effectively. I should add, I use little paint holders from Michael's so that I can put more water into the bowl, less time filling etc.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm over at the College of Law on East Campus finishing my J.D.
Wow, very nice! Their law program is no joke. The East campus is gorgeous, I only ever had a single class there. I personally prefer the concrete forest of City campus, though.

You mean Sam's find? If so, they were already found here by @bryverine http://arachnoboards.com/threads/cheap-enclosure-8-16-9-x4-x4.280587/ :D

Check out his PDF file, pretty well done.

The only reason I haven't obtained them is because the lids come off so smoothly, for slings prob OK. But for some of my larger Ts, I think they could lift the lid, not willing to chance it really. I think the boxes are a good intermediate size for 2-4" Avics.

I haven't had the time to make one like Bry did just yet.

@EulersK IF you get them, check the company website FIRST. They often have 50% off coupon/item/day. Print as many as you want and go several days in a row.

Sometimes they have RUBs too!
Oh yeah, that's right! He actually gave me that PDF, I completely forgot about it. Yeah, if they just slide right off, then I'm not interested. Sticking with RUB's, I suppose!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, very nice! Their law program is no joke. The East campus is gorgeous, I only ever had a single class there. I personally prefer the concrete forest of City campus, though.

Oh yeah, that's right! He actually gave me that PDF, I completely forgot about it. Yeah, if they just slide right off, then I'm not interested. Sticking with RUB's, I suppose!
They slide off significantly more easy than AMAC lids. I'd test them out yourself and see what you think. I suspect I'm going to do the same.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Nice! I love these and I'm working on an enclosure with the cases right now, I'm using the plans made by @bryverine. I had a few mishaps, one with superglue (I ordered the acrylic adhesive. I learned) and then my husband INSISTED the skill saw would be fabulous for cutting the lid into thirds. Yikes. Didn't work so well! I tend to do DIY projects in this trial and error type way!

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Nice! I love these and I'm working on an enclosure with the cases right now, I'm using the plans made by @bryverine. I had a few mishaps, one with superglue (I ordered the acrylic adhesive. I learned) and then my husband INSISTED the skill saw would be fabulous for cutting the lid into thirds. Yikes. Didn't work so well! I tend to do DIY projects in this trial and error type way!
I used a Dremel cutting wheel and went really slow to make cuts.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Cool. I have a dremel but not a cutting wheel. I should get one. On my second try I used a hacksaw and went slowly and it was fine.

It's fun working on these and very cool to see what other folks come up with.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I just finished these- my kid took an extra long nap so I actually finished them! They aren't perfect but I like them and can't beat the price. I followed @bryverine's pdf pretty closely.

Attachments