New Poecilotheria sp. pictured?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know how new you can call that its dated 2005, but to the best of my knowledge which is limited in this genus there are none in the US. There might be a few with some Breeders who knows.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep theres me reading with no sleep again you are right....:D

I wonder how much longer it is till pokies are like avics. :rolleyes:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Well, hopefully it won't be long. Seems we're exploring India, Sri Lanka, etc., more and more.

Personally, I can't get enough of Pokies. Each new one is a treasure.

Yep theres me reading with no sleep again you are right....:D

I wonder how much longer it is till pokies are like avics. :rolleyes:

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe this species was discovered by Andrew M Smith and Paul Carpenter back in 2004 I am not 100% sure of this but the species is endangered and only dead specimens remain from what was collected.

I cannot say this is right but I remember reading an artical on it in the BTS downloads maybe someone else can shed more light on it

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another P. regalis lookalike. :p Nice looking spider nonetheless.

I believe this species was discovered by Andrew M Smith and Paul Carpenter back in 2004 I am not 100% sure of this but the species is endangered and only dead specimens remain from what was collected.

I cannot say this is right but I remember reading an artical on it in the BTS downloads maybe someone else can shed more light on it
That was Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica, wasn't it?

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya there was one pokie that was found in big numbers around a monastary in india and was made a reserve, i don't remember which sp. it was though. They all do seem to look like regalis as juvies but i think they will look a lot different as adults.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The interesting bit is that the paper clearly describes a formosa ... The nallamalai hills are a known collecting site for regalis which may be why the poecilotheria.com has shown a regalis ... even though the paper shows a formosa ... in any way the "new species" nallamalaiensis is nothing but a junior synonym for P. formosa and poecilotheria.com is clearly trying to skim some dough out of this by selling P. regalis ...

Regards
Søren

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So, my friend, due to a new work of these indian arachnologists (reminds me of some chinese) we can consider now a new distribution point for P. formosa ;)

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Soren,

The interesting bit is that the paper clearly describes a formosa ... The nallamalai hills are a known collecting site for regalis which may be why the poecilotheria.com has shown a regalis ... even though the paper shows a formosa ...
I was certainly wondering about that picture myself, after reading the description... didn't seem to fit.

Eric

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer

That was Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica, wasn't it?
"TTstinger", the spider you mention is not the one being discussed here. As David mentions, you are refering to P. hanumavilasumica, which is now in the hobby btw.

Eric