New Grammostola Pulchripes Owner - Need Some Help

Kris10Zeig

Arachnopeon
We just received our first sling ever on Jan 11th. The size was approx 3/4 of an inch. Very small. All has been going well with it moving around a bit. It wasn't eating so we thought it was going to molt. We found it last night and it had molted but it's back leg looks like it was broken off. It hasn't moved since then. It's not in a death curl and has plenty of water. I reached out to the place we got it from. With it being a sling this small with it do a death curl? Have we lost our baby?

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
We just received our first sling ever on Jan 11th. The size was approx 3/4 of an inch. Very small. All has been going well with it moving around a bit. It wasn't eating so we thought it was going to molt. We found it last night and it had molted but it's back leg looks like it was broken off. It hasn't moved since then. It's not in a death curl and has plenty of water. I reached out to the place we got it from. With it being a sling this small with it do a death curl? Have we lost our baby?
Losing a leg is not a big deal for a tarantula. It will regenerate the leg over the next couple of molts. There can be many reasons a molt goes a little wrong and the spider chooses to drop a leg.

Folks here can help a lot better if you post photos of the T and the enclosure. Could be a lot of things wrong that we can help with, or just a little bad luck with this first molt!

Kris10Zeig

Arachnopeon
Losing a leg is not a big deal for a tarantula. It will regenerate the leg over the next couple of molts. There can be many reasons a molt goes a little wrong and the spider chooses to drop a leg.

Folks here can help a lot better if you post photos of the T and the enclosure. Could be a lot of things wrong that we can help with, or just a little bad luck with this first molt!
Thank you for replying. We figured his leg would grow back we were just worried since this was it's first molt with us. I'll post some pictures of his enclosure and of him. I really hope he's ok.

These are images of our T now since it's not moving.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
With these guys keep it simple; deli cup with some air holes poked out (make sure the holes are not bigger than the T's carapace), a little bit of substrate & a water dish are all you need. See the image in the following link, this is a tried and true method that results in better eating & faster growing slings as it allows the spider to adopt the whole cup as a 'burrow'... will be especially helpful for a slightly slower growing species like G. pulchripes.
👉 https://arachnoboards.com/gallery/img_0472.38389/

Last edited:

Kris10Zeig

Arachnopeon
With these guys keep it simple; deli cup with some air holes poked out (make sure the holes are bi bigger than the T's carapace), a little bit of substrate & a water dish are all you need. See the image in the following link, this is a tried and true method that results in better eating & faster growing slings as it allows the spider to adopt the whole cup as a 'burrow'... will be especially helpful for a slightly slower growing species like G. pulchripes.
👉 https://arachnoboards.com/gallery/img_0472.38389/
Thank you for the info! We received this enclosure from the place we bought our T from. In order to have a 30 day live guarantee we had to utilize what they sent us. It makes sense though about keeping it simple. Many times we would peak around because it seemed a bit big for it. We are brand new to this so I'm grateful for the support. Is it best to use a paint brush or something similar to touch around the T to check for movement? I'm petrified to touch it.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
These are images of our T now since it's not moving.
It's not unusual for Ts to remain fairly still immediately following a molt, but with a sling that small it should be moving around and almost back to normal within 24-48 hours. Leave it alone and check on it in another day. If it still hasn't moved, prod it GENTLY with a soft paintbrush and see if there's any response. If not then it's likely passed.

Kris10Zeig

Arachnopeon
It's not unusual for Ts to remain fairly still immediately following a molt, but with a sling that small it should be moving around and almost back to normal within 24-48 hours. Leave it alone and check on it in another day. If it still hasn't moved, prod it GENTLY with a soft paintbrush and see if there's any response. If not then it's likely passed.
Thank you, I'm going to leave it be and check on it tonight and tomorrow. I really hopes it's ok.

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Thank you for the info! We received this enclosure from the place we bought our T from. In order to have a 30 day live guarantee we had to utilize what they sent us. It makes sense though about keeping it simple. Many times we would peak around because it seemed a bit big for it. We are brand new to this so I'm grateful for the support. Is it best to use a paint brush or something similar to touch around the T to check for movement? I'm petrified to touch it.
Make sure the holes are NOT bigger than the T's carapace... sorry for the confusing typo in the original statement lol

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
From all the photos there is not cause for alarm and appears normal. Tarantulas for new owners after a molt can appear very innactive or move it strange positions that appear to be cause for alarm but are actually quite normal. Molts usually go off without a hitch!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
no one can predict this

Shinn

Arachnosquire
Looks like your T lost it's two front left limb in the last two pic. Probably just a bad molt. Not seeing any bleeding so nothing to worry about. Continue making sure it has ready access to drinking water and feed it pre killed prey and remove uneaten food until next molt. Should start regrowing the limbs again. A smaller enclosure may help with managing all the above.

Kris10Zeig

Arachnopeon
no one can predict this
Ok, thanks.

Looks like your T lost it's two front left limb in the last two pic. Probably just a bad molt. Not seeing any bleeding so nothing to worry about. Continue making sure it has ready access to drinking water and feed it pre killed prey and remove uneaten food until next molt. Should start regrowing the limbs again. A smaller enclosure may help with managing all the above.
Thanks, we actually lost the T. It didn't make it after molt. I'm taking in all the advice given as it's very helpful.

Any updates? How's your sling doing now?
We actually lost our T. It didn't make it past the molt. We worked with the place we purchased it from and they were very helpful. We are super sad and our son has just been devastated. They honored the 30 day live guarantee and are sending a new sling. Everyone on here has been so helpful. I'm very happy I found these boards. 🕷❤

Shinn

Arachnosquire
Thanks, we actually lost the T. It didn't make it after molt. I'm taking in all the advice given as it's very helpful.
Sorry to hear that. While most of the time they can survive lost limbs no problems, Slings are the most fragile lifestage. All the best with the new one.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
We actually lost our T. It didn't make it past the molt. We worked with the place we purchased it from and they were very helpful. We are super sad and our son has just been devastated. They honored the 30 day live guarantee and are sending a new sling. Everyone on here has been so helpful. I'm very happy I found these boards. 🕷❤
It's good that you found a vendor that will help that way - most don't. You're definitely in the right place to get the advice you'll need to be successful with the next one!

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Please update us when you get the new sling. Once they get out of this early more susceptible stage, the easier it should become for all of you. They can be very fun to watch.

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Sad to hear... I'm glad that this experience hasn't deterred you from tarantula keeping and that you're willing to give it another shot (it really is a fantastic thing!), with the advice you've been given here combined with the wealth of knowledge that already exists on the boards you'll be better placed to keep your new T. Be sure to keep us updated and ask if you need anything clarified. Good luck and I hope your son is ok going forward!!