New baboon species from Mozambique

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Most likely, I'd say that it is like Pamphos. MM with that bright purple/blue, just wish they had a female. All that matters to me :D
It seems with baboon species MMs are of similar colouration or a lot more dull. Lets hope there is an AF of this that blows the eyes out of your skull. I know what I felt when I first saw H. pulchripes :D

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
It seems with baboon species MMs are of similar colouration or a lot more dull. Lets hope there is an AF of this that blows the eyes out of your skull. I know what I felt when I first saw H. pulchripes :D
Hopefully :D Although if they make it into the hobby, they would probably so expensive that I would have to wait quite a while to get one... is Africa even allowed to import T's like this? Thought I heard something about a ban or import? May be mistaken.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
South Africa has a total ban on exportation of any native animal. Thats why I appreciate Harpactira,Harpactirella, Brachionopus so much <3

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Uhm... great news but I don't want to die before witness the discover of a Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her -- "sister" hiding in some burrow, gently sleeping zZzZz until the discovery arrive :-s

We need more sexy rear legs in the hobby, just like we need more sexy Ladies wearing sexy boots :kiss:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Uhm... great news but I don't want to die before witness the discover of a Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her -- "sister" hiding in some burrow, gently sleeping zZzZz until the discovery arrive :-s

We need more sexy rear legs in the hobby, just like we need more sexy Ladies wearing sexy boots :kiss:
Eucratoscelus pachypus is her little sister.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
E. pachy scares me. Reminds me of those Chines spiders that look like bathplugs (excuse lack of scientific name :p)

I would still be happy to keep one though aha

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Was thinking the same thing. Male baboons are meh compared to the females. So maybe there is a big beautiful blue female waiting somewhere!

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
E. pachy scares me. Reminds me of those Chines spiders that look like bathplugs (excuse lack of scientific name :p)

I would still be happy to keep one though aha
I don't know Chinese spiders that look like bath plugs, but Cyclocosmia torreya sort of look like bath plugs. Neither looks like my adorable fuzzylegs gogo boots darling.

Male Monocentropus balfouri are bluer than females.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I don't know Chinese spiders that look like bath plugs, but Cyclocosmia torreya sort of look like bath plugs. Neither looks like my adorable fuzzylegs gogo boots darling.
There is one and its scary, ok :p

Male Monocentropus balfouri are bluer than females.
Yeah there is more of it but I think it is darker and merges with the beige. Makes them a little less attractive than the females IMO. But they are still beautiful.Especially for MM :)

Thats why they are in my MM appreciation thread :D

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Looks like it fell back on a button after a moult and has only recently fallen off

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Eucratoscelus pachypus is her little sister.
Ah ah, they have those "hairy" legs, a particular feature for our lovely 'Baboons' :)

But I know that, hidden in some African primitive burrow, under the red earth, exists the Goddess sister. And I need Her, so Roma the Eternal City will be in Triumph again :kiss:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69 how do you know that it's fake?

@KezyGLA @Andrea82
At the time I visited the FB page where someone linked me to it. The pic is terrible. Initially I was told something to the effect that some scientist on FB said it was a real T. I go to the thread and I couldn't find any mention of this scientist.

I looked at the image. I could be wrong mind you. When you look at that blurry pic, it does not look like a horn that curves back. If I recall correctly, it looks like a back rear leg. It was a terrible picture to make such a claim.

Has there been any new data? People troll the internet all the time.

However, if myself and my other doubting Thomas friends ( I showed it to some other imaging friends of mine too) are wrong, I'm ready for a sling.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What? How do you know that? Was there a new post on that? I got confirmation on it being true from the wildlife reserve itself...
Can you link me to the new info?
Would you provide me the contact info on this please.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
At the time I visited the FB page where someone linked me to it. The pic is terrible. Initially I was told something to the effect that some scientist on FB said it was a real T. I go to the thread and I couldn't find any mention of this scientist.

I looked at the image. I could be wrong mind you. When you look at that blurry pic, it does not look like a horn that curves back. If I recall correctly, it looks like a back rear leg. It was a terrible picture to make such a claim.

Has there been any new data? People troll the internet all the time.

However, if myself and my other doubting Thomas friends ( I showed it to some other imaging friends of mine too) are wrong, I'm ready for a sling.
There is a better clear picture link in post #20

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is a better clear picture link in post #20
Thanks I didn't see that one. It still seems odd to me. I don't believe it. That "horn" is far larger than the original fuzzy picture shown on FB.

I have a lot of doubts on this one. Anything can be done w/a digital image.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Thanks I didn't see that one. It still seems odd to me. I don't believe it. That "horn" is far larger than the original fuzzy picture shown on FB.

I have a lot of doubts on this one. Anything can be done w/a digital image.
I have seen a few images of this sp. so far.

The one on the 2 replica fb groups are the same photo with little evidence to back up from a credible source indeed. Though if you look closely at the Angola Image Bank's original photo you can see the small absomen beetween the rear legs which is typical in specimens in the wild. The horn proteudes from where it starts on the carapace on the rest of Cerato, though it is clear that it runs above and over the abdomen and past the small abdomen. If you lok closely all legs can be counted for.

As for the link I posted earlier was a T of smaller size with fatter abdomen with a similar sized horn. This was photographed by some SA hobbyist who documented it within Angola.

In that photo it is clear to see the whole subject pretty much. Everything matches up with the specimen photographed by AIB.

I will upload the photo here but it is not my own nor the person that posted in the link that I provided earlier.

image.jpeg

Here you can see the different specimen from a different angle. It is all in plain sight.

I have been shown a picture of another specimen that is very similar and still small with huge horn but I no longer have access. Again gathered by persons from SA. I am hoping that this is a small species of Cerato.
I still dont see how it could be faked. The only difference betweeen the 3 are size.

I believe it is genuine.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not convinced yet hah. I'm a skeptic when it comes to this type of thing.