Need Help with my Female Texas Rat Snake

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A few of you may remember that a couple of weeks ago I caught an approximately 4ft Texas Rat Snake and brought it home. Well, look what I found under the water pan today.

Now what? Am I gonna be a daddy or do they not ahve a chance? If anyone knows what I need to do to give these a chance to hatch (and then what to do with the kids) I'd surely appreciate it.

Heck, I think it's kinda cool even if nothin happens.

Mom's under the rock in case anyone was wondering

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A few of you may remember that a couple of weeks ago I caught an approximately 4ft Texas Rat Snake and brought it home. Well, look what I found under the water pan today.

Now what? Am I gonna be a daddy or do they not ahve a chance? If anyone knows what I need to do to give these a chance to hatch (and then what to do with the kids) I'd surely appreciate it.

Heck, I think it's kinda cool even if nothin happens.

Mom's under the rock in case anyone was wondering
You need an incubator...there is a way to make a homemade one but i dont know how however they sell incubators at reptilesupply.com..also check in the sales/trade area for incubators...could get a good deal on one

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heat lamp might fry them, The mother should know what she is doing more or less if she had given birth to other batches before, but don't really follow what I say, I am not an expert, just things I have heard.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Get them into a lidded container with moist sphagnum moss/coco bedding/perlite and keep it around 80-83*F and around 70-90% humidity.

Moist, but not sopping wet. Don't use peat moss, the high acidity of it has been known to cause developmental problems with the embryos.

- If you're using moss, soak it in warm water for 20-30 mins, then wring it out by hand till it no longer drips water. Fluff it up and envelop the eggs in it.

- If you're using coco bedding, you want it slightly damp, but not wet. Cover the eggs up till just a little shell still shows.

- If you're using perlite, mix it with enough water to wet it, then bury the eggs halfway in it.

- Or there is a product I tried this year called Hatch Rite, its available online or I believe some Petco's are carrying it, and it worked beautifully for me. It's pre-moistened so you pour it into a container and add the eggs like the perlite method and leave them be.

The eggs still look good, but if you wait any longer they're going to dry up. Absolutely do not use a heat lamp, 100% sure fire way to kill the eggs.

If you get all of that taken care of, wait around 60 days and you should have babies.

Alternately, if you're not set up for babies nor care to have any, just toss the eggs away.

Regardless, make sure you get the female to feed pretty well before she goes into shed after laying, which should be in about a week.

Good luck!

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, I'm trying the coca fiber stuff - We shall see.

Anyone wanna sponsor a child? For only $30 a month, you'll get a photo, and updates every few months, and .. (just kidding :p)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I incubate Ratsnake eggs in Perlite, which you can get at the Wal-Mart garden center. Get a Sterlite sweater box and fill it half-way with Perlite, then wet the Perlite until it is wet enough to stick to your hand, but not sopping wet. It is important to maintain that level of moisture throughout the incubation period. Now, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT-as you pick up the eggs to put them in the incubater, DO NOT TURN THEM OR CHANGE THEIR POSITIONS! Reptile embryos quickly attach to the amniotic membrane so that if you turn them over, the embryos drown. Keep the eggs oriented as much the same as you found them, as you carefully pick them up and place them in shallow depressions in the Perlite. If any are stuck, DO NOT try to unstick them, but put them in the incubater exactly as you found them. Cover with the lid, and place the box in a room that is not air conditioned, where the average temperature is around 80-85 degrees. Check it frequently to make sure the Perlite stays damp, but do not handle the eggs unless it becomes obvious that one has gone bad, and by that, I mean it's turned dark brown and collapsed. In about three months or so, you should have a bunch of little Texas bitey things on your hands!

pitbulllady