Need advice-possible bad/wet molt

Fluke

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yea she looks much better!!! congrats and keep a watchful eye!

jeepinwu2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I
Avics, one irminia, and pokies are the ones I have seen it occur in.
But I am only speaking of what I have seen.
Add H. longipes to the list. Mine molted into a mushy, slimey mess (looked way worse than pics I've seen on here).
It has to be them molting before the new exo is ready. I noticed on mine there were parts not fully developed on the joints and carpace. The new carpace it wasn't fully attached and insides were exposed. The joints very thin and broke open when the T tried to move.
I only had the T for a week so I couldn't tell you what it's diet before then consisted of, as far as new set up conditions it was not too moist not bone dry and 70-75 degrees.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yea she looks much better!!! congrats and keep a watchful eye!
Thanks...and I am! I check on her constantly... I will have to hold off on breeding her until after her next molt - just not worth it to try it anytime before that and cause her potentially more damage. I'm just happy she's moving around with lots of attitude! Oh, your MM Blondi is making about 5 sperm webs a week...and he is determined to find a way through the tank divider. He spends quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to get to the female on the other side...he is a horny boy - only one thing on his mind...like most males. :D

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd agree with the thing in regards to molting before the new exo is ready.

In that case, it could deal with a problem regarding the hormones that regulate the molting process.

Some pesticides work in this manner, and other contaminants do similar things to other hormones in higher animals.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd agree with the thing in regards to molting before the new exo is ready.

In that case, it could deal with a problem regarding the hormones that regulate the molting process.

Some pesticides work in this manner, and other contaminants do similar things to other hormones in higher animals.
I am not really on board with the early molt thought. I think it is the over production of the lubricant fluid (what is that called:confused: )that helps them molt. And the cause of that is anyone’s best guess because I have no clue just thoughts.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am not really on board with the early molt thought. I think it is the over production of the lubricant fluid (what is that called:confused: )that helps them molt. And the cause of that is anyone’s best guess because I have no clue just thoughts.
I agree...it's got to be something along those lines or maybe some type of infection - that would explain the color of the fluid and the smell....who really knows though?

wollywoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys, I don't know the first thing about wet molts, but is it only arboreal species that seem to suffer with it? Or mostly arboreals? I didn't spot any terrestrial species in the thread, but I could have missed one lol I'm really glad she's looking better, I hate it when my spiders get ill, its mean :(

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I remember some ground dwelling Ts being affected………but I could be mistaken. (kind of scatter brained lately) But it seems to be arboreal Ts mostly from what I have experienced. Here is a picture of a much worse case that resulted in the Ts death. :(
Ecdysial fluid
What is responsible for the production of that fluid?

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think I remember some ground dwelling Ts being affected………but I could be mistaken. (kind of scatter brained lately) But it seems to be arboreal Ts mostly from what I have experienced. Here is a picture of a much worse case that resulted in the Ts death. :(
What is responsible for the production of that fluid?
That pic is realy upsetting, I can't imagine what you were thinking....that just plain sucks.....rob

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello Ryan.

With over-production of lubricant how would you explain the missing hairs and the faded patterns seen in some of them?(that metallica is a pretty good example of the second case). :(

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don’t think the hairs are missing. I think the hairs are matted flat to the legs by the excess fluid.
The metallica I had was very wet, and seemed to be missing a lot of hairs. But the closer I looked the more I saw they were stuck to the sides of the legs almost as if they were glued there.
I hope I don't see it again anytime soon. It is heartbreaking to see.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don’t think the hairs are missing. I think the hairs are matted flat to the legs by the excess fluid.
The metallica I had was very wet, and seemed to be missing a lot of hairs. But the closer I looked the more I saw they were stuck to the sides of the legs almost as if they were glued there.
I hope I don't see it again anytime soon. It is heartbreaking to see.
That pic was heartbreaking to me , I can't imagine what that must have felt like, My girl is missing hair on the outsides of her legs, I thiught I would share that.....rob

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This a good sign, she is drinking a lot of water, hopefully she will restore some of the fluid she lost during this bad molt.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So glad to see she is doing better. How horrific the first pic was and Ryan's too. Heartwarming to see you taking such good care of her.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So glad to see she is doing better. How horrific the first pic was and Ryan's too. Heartwarming to see you taking such good care of her.
I committed to that when I purchased her, her health depends on me and I will do all I can for her....rob

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Rob, how is she doing now? I have been concerned
Thank-you that means a lot:) She is doing great, she is drinking water and actualy saw a roach in another enclosure and tried to get it, so I am going to look to see how her fangs look. She is going to be getting speacial roaches that I gut load with, carrots, broccoli, wheat, leetuce apples and small amount of cat food....I want only the best for her...she is a very speacial T to me. she has gone thru a lot and I want to make it up to her....rob

oregongrown

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is good to hear, I will be sure to keep checking in, that T is so amazing!