Need advice-possible bad/wet molt

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hmmm....those temperatures are right on the money almost perfect for most species. The humidity is high but, reasonable (Great for molting and eggsac construction)

This brings me to the next question:

What do you feed your tarantulas?

Because I have also found that diet also contributes to this condition as well.
I have only had her since Aug 2 08 and she was in pre-molt when I got her and only ate once B.Dubia (I feed all feeders a very healthy diet). The guy who had her before fed her Pinkie mice a lot he stated, I believe this was the cause or led up to it, to much calcium??

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have only had her since Aug 2 08 and she was in pre-molt when I got her and only ate once B.Dubia (I feed all feeders a very healthy diet). The guy who had her before fed her Pinkie mice a lot he stated, I believe this was the cause or led up to it, to much calcium??
I think you pinpointed the problem IMO. Calcium does play a factor in invertebrate health IMO as well.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think you pinpointed the problem IMO. Calcium does play a factor in invertebrate health IMO as well.
It is the only logical explanation. I feed my B.Dubia colonies fresh veggies/fruits/grain/cat food (low calcium)....your feeders must be fed as good as your T's it is essential to there health IMHO.

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, that is really interesting and also worrisome. This is the second time I've heard of problems from feeing pinkie mice. It makes me concerned about future transactions from people, and what they feed their Ts.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow, that is really interesting and also worrisome. This is the second time I've heard of problems from feeing pinkie mice. It makes me concerned about future transactions from people, and what they feed their Ts.
I believe it is the cause of this, I looked at back E-mails he had sent me and he stated her main diet was pinkie mice, I have heard this messes with the formation of the exoskelton (this may be what happened).....her Exco didn't form all the way and know she is left with this, she has hair missing on the legs and her pads. her pads are not there like on most pokies (legs get thicker at the end)....they are just straight. I feed my huge Blondi females a invertabrate's only twice a year if I am breeding, if not they do not get any, and know none of my T;s will get them, noway!!!!. I feed mostly B.Dubia's and vary the feeders diet and the T's will get a varied diet......rob

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I believe it is the cause of this, I looked at back E-mails he had sent me and he stated her main diet was pinkie mice, I have heard this messes with the formation of the exoskelton (this may be what happened).....her Exco didn't form all the way and know she is left with this, she has hair missing on the legs and her pads. her pads are not there like on most pokies (legs get thicker at the end)....they are just straight. I feed my huge Blondi females a invertabrate's only twice a year if I am breeding, if not they do not get any, and know none of my T;s will get them, noway!!!!. I feed mostly B.Dubia's and vary the feeders diet and the T's will get a varied diet......rob

hey rob, im obviously not an expert im only 15 but ive read in a lot of places liek you set if you feed your t's vertebrates often, it screws up their exo like you said. i wonder if the diet that guy had her on was what caused this to happen. if thats the case, all i can think of is that it caused her to have trouble molting, but since she got out of her old skin she can only get better. it looks like she can climb fine in the video, and she looks a LOT better than the first pics you took. i hope for the best for you beauty, i have a feeling shell be alright :D

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey rob, im obviously not an expert im only 15 but ive read in a lot of places liek you set if you feed your t's vertebrates often, it screws up their exo like you said. i wonder if the diet that guy had her on was what caused this to happen. if thats the case, all i can think of is that it caused her to have trouble molting, but since she got out of her old skin she can only get better. it looks like she can climb fine in the video, and she looks a LOT better than the first pics you took. i hope for the best for you beauty, i have a feeling shell be alright :D
I strongly believe that the mice feeding is the culprit.....rob

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't keep my regalis anywhere near 70-80% humidity. For molting or egg sacs.

Additionally I do not think invert feeding is to blame. I have had several wet molts and they were much worse then this, but the Ts were never fed inverts. In my opinion the invert feeding fear is baseless.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Additionally I do not think invert feeding is to blame. I have had several wet molts and they were much worse then this, but the Ts were never fed inverts. In my opinion the invert feeding fear is baseless.
I dont keep it constant, I let the enclosure dry out also....rob

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my regalis at around 65%-70% and have never had any problems with eggsac production. I had a few bad molts when I go lower than the above humidity but, eggsac production is best at around 67% humidity and at around 78-79 degrees farenheit with regalis IME. I also average around 4 sacs a year.

Diet is critical to invertebrate health. It has been proven that healthy feeders=healthy invertebrates. The problem is however, that the formula has yet to be mastered for the perfect critter chow so we have to constantly modify the menu.

I do agree that the vertebrate feeding fear is not 100% of the cause of the "Wet molt problem" but, in this case I believe it is.

Your "Wet molt Problem" could be a temperature or a humidity problem IMO. This is all theory because I don't know the exact source but, have had similiar problems with my breeding stock and it took some trial and error to pinpoint it down to those two sources. I too have never fed vertebrate prey to my stock but, it still happens every once in a while. Genetics could also be a factor too.

Brian

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I keep my regalis at around 65%-70% and have never had any problems with eggsac production. I had a few bad molts when I go lower than the above humidity but, eggsac production is best at around 67% humidity and at around 78-79 degrees farenheit with regalis IME. I also average around 4 sacs a year.

Diet is critical to invertebrate health. It has been proven that healthy feeders=healthy invertebrates. The problem is however, that the formula has yet to be mastered for the perfect critter chow so we have to constantly modify the menu.

I do agree that the vertebrate feeding fear is not 100% of the cause of the "Wet molt problem" but, in this case I believe it is.

Your "Wet molt Problem" could be a temperature or a humidity problem IMO. This is all theory because I don't know the exact source but, have had similiar problems with my breeding stock and it took some trial and error to pinpoint it down to those two sources. I too have never fed vertebrate prey to my stock but, it still happens every once in a while. Genetics could also be a factor too.

Brian
Very good info and appreciate the posts....rob

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think wet molts have anything to do with external conditions. It MIGHT have something to do with diet, but I strongly suspect that it is going to happen every now and then no matter what you do. Essentially we are talking about the over production of fluid during the molt, I doubt temps or humidity has anything to do with that.
The metallica I just had die from a wet molt was in 100% dry conditions. I have had them happen in medium humidity, and high. And none had ever been fed inverts.
Avics, one irminia, and pokies are the ones I have seen it occur in.
But I am only speaking of what I have seen.
As far as egg sac production goes, I don't really need to say anything further. To each his or her own with the breeding methods.
I don't think anyone is really right or wrong here.........we are more speculating based on what each of us has seen. Little is known about this condition to begin with.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think wet molts have anything to do with external conditions. It MIGHT have something to do with diet, but I strongly suspect that it is going to happen every now and then no matter what you do. Essentially we are talking about the over production of fluid during the molt, I doubt temps or humidity has anything to do with that.

The metallica I just had die from a wet molt was in 100% dry conditions. I have had them happen in medium humidity, and high. And none had ever been fed inverts.
Avics, one irminia, and pokies are the ones I have seen it occur in.
But I am only speaking of what I have seen.
As far as egg sac production goes, I don't really need to say anything further. To each his or her own with the breeding methods.
I don't think anyone is really right or wrong here.........we are more speculating based on what each of us has seen. Little is known about this condition to begin with.
You keep saying inverts when you mean verts. Just so you know.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My mistake, you know what I meant.
I do the same thing all the time...we all know what we mean...I misspell tarantula a lot...thankfully I can just abbreviate it to T on the boards. :D

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
UPDATE:

She's doing really well today! I think she was very dehydrated from the molt and she's since been drinking water and seems to be filling out. Her legs have thickened up in the front and she looks like she has pads on her feet now, before she didn't look like she had any. Her colors are more vibrant and she's running around, on the glass, fangs are black already and she is mean as an OBT - if not meaner! Here's some new pics I just took: