Naming your Tarantulas?

Asti

Arachnopeon
If you have a Davus pentaloris it's required by law to be called Dave regardless :rofl:
Mine is called Pimmy, you can fight my four year old kid over that one.

I do like alliteration. We have Pimmy the pentaloris, Saar the sazimai ... still need a name for the Grammostola pulchra 0.0.1 and a female Tliltocatl albopilosus (Nicaragua).

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
I like naming my pets using very generic human names. Then I get to say things like "dont take Dave out of his cage" or "Geraldine hasn't eaten anything since last September"

SarahLydiaM

Arachnopeon
I love naming my spiders. I've got two, a T. Albo named Coach Beard, and a P. Dominican Purple named Auntie Whispers.

Plus we have a little guard on our porch I call Stoop Kid.

TLSizzle

Arachnobaron
I name all of mine. It strengthens our bond. I hope to get to the point where we high five each other and my Ts feel comfortable sitting on my guitar while I play. IYKYK.

Jokes aside, I do actually name all of mine. But not for the reasons mentioned above.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
My Stromatopelma calceatum wants to kill me, so I thought Saddam would be appropriate.
Makes me wonder if i should go back and buy one the pet shop had lol 😂… nah they’re so common online probably not a good idea . Saddam haha 😂

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
My Stromatopelma calceatum wants to kill me, so I thought Saddam would be appropriate.
Every time I hit your italics while reading your posts, the reading voice in my head goes from my normal voice to some Monty Python version of a haughty English woman’s voice…and then return for the rest of the post.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Every time I hit your italics while reading your posts, the reading voice in my head goes from my normal voice to some Monty Python version of a haughty English woman’s voice…and then return for the rest of the post.
Funny. When I read italics, I hear Charlie Brown's teacher. There was this OCD entomologist on another message board who always insisted that we italicize scientific names. I guess the habit stuck.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
I only name my inverts if I can be 100% sure of their sex so I don't have to bother naming my entire collection, and can keep track of more noteworthy individuals; only two inverts in my currently rapidly expanding collection are at that point (both are females)-Anihan, my SAF Ornithoctoninae sp. "Haribon" (the T in my avatar), and Sibiri, a relatively recently acquired 5in Pandinus imperator. Also, I decided that if I'm going to name my inverts, I will only give them names that are from the local language indigenous to the native range of that species or even that population.

And no, I do not try to interact with either of my named inverts (okay, I have handled Sibiri a couple times when she crawled out of her enclosure during feeding/maintenance, but that was just to make her go back in).
okay, here’s the list as of now, with the indigenous languages the names come from:

Anihan (RIP) - deceased SAF Ornithoctoninae sp. “Haribon” (Tagalog)
Ampha - AF Cyriopagopus lividus (Thai)
Kanchana - Juvenile female Ornithoctonus aureotibialis (Thai)
Achara - SAF Taksinus bambus (Thai)
Sriyani - AF Poecilotheria ornata(?/Possible hybrid) (Sinhala)
Citlalli - SAF Psalmopoeus victori (Nahuatl)
Xitlalli - SAF Psalmopoeus victori (Nahuatl) (sacmates with Citralli)
Anichi- AF Tapiauchenius rasti (Kalinago)
Aranya - AF Chilobrachys natanicharum (Thai)
Erandi - AF Brachypelma auratum (Purepecha)
Sibiri - SAF Pandinus imperator
Wira - AM Phrynichus orientalis (Thai)
Siti - AF Phrynichus orientalis (Thai)

In need of naming (again, with languages)
AF GBB (Caquetio)
AF Cyriopagopus doriae (Iban)
SAF Omothymus violaceopes (Pahang Malay)
SAF O. schioedtei (Bahasa Melayu)
Juvenile female Monocentropus balfouri (Soqotri)
SAF Psalmopoeus irminia (Pemon)
Juvenile female Pamphobeteus sp. “Big Black”
AF Liocheles australasiae (Vietnamese)
SAF Hottentotta hottentotta

Last edited:

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
my gf names em all :rofl:guess it makes em less creepy when she shows her female co workers pics of the creepy crawlies she has to live with

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
AF Liocheles australasiae (Vietnamese)
Ended up naming her Thị due to her recent maternity. Now I have to name the dozen or so surviving scorplings….

Also finally decided on Karebe for my GBB. It means “Spoon” in Caquetio. Guess why she’s named that….

Confirmed another C. natanicharum as being female as well as one of my C. huahini, so those need names as well.

Last edited:

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
I always give mine names from their native countries primary language, sometimes a secondary language if I'm feeling spicy. Normally I'll also have a shorthand if that name is too long. There are a few exceptions, my GBB, both P rufilata, and my O philippinus. Bumblebee, Mango, Rufous, and Philip, respectively.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
I always give mine names from their native countries primary language, sometimes a secondary language if I'm feeling spicy. Normally I'll also have a shorthand if that name is too long. There are a few exceptions, my GBB, both P rufilata, and my O philippinus. Bumblebee, Mango, Rufous, and Philip, respectively.
I mostly go with the local languages indigenous to the exact locality; I’ve even gone for names from extinct languages (like with my T.rasti)

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
I mostly go with the local languages indigenous to the exact locality; I’ve even gone for names from extinct languages (like with my T.rasti)
That is so awesome, now I want to dive down the rabbit hole that is ancient Kra-Dai language groups to name my O sp. Hati Hati, O schioedtei, O vio, and my P arboricola. They were so small, I just labeled them with species name and A, B if there were multiple. I don't think I ever get that specific, except for my OBT's but each morph has its own locality so it's a bit easier to do.

gray recluse

Arachnopeon
I just finally decided on Angela for my new little girl. I'd been really overthinking it, trying to find something spider specific that wasn't also used by everyone and that just wasn't working. But this one kept coming back to me, so Angela it is.

FullMcGoatse

Arachnopeon
When I worked at a reptile store, this one lady said she had ~70 Ts with name, kept on a spreadsheet. When I asked why she said it helps personify them. I guess she right