Naming your Tarantulas?

A guy

Arachnobaron
I love them but my love for my tarantulas is different from my love for my dogs which can reciprocate my affection. Besides, naming hundreds of spiders will be just time consuming.

TZTZ

Arachnopeon
I am new to spider keeping, and maybe that's why I decided to name them. On the enclosures, I have three labels: scientific name, common name, and chosen name. Committing to naming them, might be a good way to prevent having N+1 tarantulas.
It makes them appear more friendly and less intimidating to people who don't like spiders. Presenting "Disco" to someone sounds to me better than "wanna see my tarantula?", "This is my GBB" or "This is where I keep my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens".

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
I only name my inverts if I can be 100% sure of their sex so I don't have to bother naming my entire collection, and can keep track of more noteworthy individuals; only two inverts in my currently rapidly expanding collection are at that point (both are females)-Anihan, my SAF Ornithoctoninae sp. "Haribon" (the T in my avatar), and Sibiri, a relatively recently acquired 5in Pandinus imperator. Also, I decided that if I'm going to name my inverts, I will only give them names that are from the local language indigenous to the native range of that species or even that population.

And no, I do not try to interact with either of my named inverts (okay, I have handled Sibiri a couple times when she crawled out of her enclosure during feeding/maintenance, but that was just to make her go back in).

Gator Watson

Arachnopeon
When I got my first, an A avic, my wife took one look and said, 'looks like a Becky'. So shes Becky. Even if shes not female. I did think about naming it Edgar Allen Toe if its a male, but Becky has seem to stick. My GBB has yet to be named, though.

juniperkisses440

Arachnopeon
I sometimes name them. I don't plan the names anymore but over time my fondness develops differently for different individuals and I decide to name them. I also have 6 curlies and I like to tell them apart with names.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I sometimes name them. I don't plan the names anymore but over time my fondness develops differently for different individuals and I decide to name them. I also have 6 curlies and I like to tell them apart with names.
Oh God now if I ever get a couple T. albos I'm gonna have to name them Larry and Moe 🤣

I think maybe the world will remain a slightly brighter place if that never happens 😂

EnderBender

Arachnopeon
I always name my critters. It doesn't matter if they can bond with me, I bond with them. I love my spoods. The one I have as my avatar is my new bb. I got her as a gift for my wife, she named her Morticia. Love her. I guess it's just a personal choice but my wife and I decided a long time ago that no matter what we never want to see our critters as a hobby, but as part of our family. Even if the critter is incapable of bonding with us at all.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I used to name them but quit doing so after my second or so dozen spiders , now many years later I’m down to 11 and haven’t named any but I could if I wanted too. Ghandi was my rose hair I lost last year had her 14 years rip bought as adult female . :sad:

Kodasea

Arachnopeon
Naming is a must for me with animals/objects, but that’s how I’ve always been.
Also while I love my spiders, there is always an element of ”I am still evolutionarily disposed to be slightly scared of you” so naming them things like Coca-Cola (GBB) or Whataburger (LP) off sets that.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Never really named them, each one gets a serial code though to help me track them on a spreadsheet. The code is the first two letters of the genus and species, followed by a number and a letter for their sex if known. For example, my first adult female Brachypelma boehmei is BRBO01F

My SO hates that and has taken it up on herself to name them all for me so I added a column in the sheet for her to have fun. I think she named that one "Regina George" because she's the prettiest girl lol. I never actually refer to them as those names unless she's talking with me about them, then I had better get them right! 😅

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
I love them but my love for my tarantulas is different from my love for my dogs which can reciprocate my affection. Besides, naming hundreds of spiders will be just time consuming.
Tell me about it busy working my way through my partners 360+ atm it's taking ages to name them all 😆

Babilove6979

Arachnopeon
I would even name the common house spiders that I saw frequently. I had a spider in my window named Charlie for the longest time. One of the reasons I name mine is because I have little cousins who are scared and fascinated with them at the same time and it makes it less scary when I say my Ts name is Floofie. I also just get enjoyment from it like I have a T. albo named Moe Larry the Curly (Moe for short) and that name just makes me laugh. My G. pulchripes is named Roxanne (Roxxi for short)… I have a little over 20 Ts and other inverts and not only do they all have full names but most have nicknames too 😂

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I will only give them names that are from the local language indigenous to the native range of that species or even that population.
I’m not alone! I’m fascinated with religion and mythologies, so mine are all named from the cultural myths of the indigenous folk of the regions they are from. Some are unisex names, but I don’t change them if they turn out the opposite sex. Wale’kerü is the spider who taught the Wayúu women to weave. My T turned out to be male, but he’s still Kerü. He’s my “boy named Sue”, lol.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
I’m not alone! I’m fascinated with religion and mythologies, so mine are all named from the cultural myths of the indigenous folk of the regions they are from. Some are unisex names, but I don’t change them if they turn out the opposite sex. Wale’kerü is the spider who taught the Wayúu women to weave. My T turned out to be male, but he’s still Kerü. He’s my “boy named Sue”, lol.
I've gotten a few more inverts with confirmed sexes since my last post (though sadly Anihan is gone now); Of my 1.1.1 Phrynichus orientalis, the sexed male is named Wira and the sexed females is named Siti, both Malay names.

I still need to find a proper Banjarese name for my 0.1 Phormingochilus arboricola and a proper Jeju name for my female Sinopoda koreana, and I haven't even gotten around to looking up the appropriate language for my Hottentotta hotentotta, my two Liocheles australasiae and my breeding trio of Olivierus martensii.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I've gotten a few more inverts with confirmed sexes since my last post (though sadly Anihan is gone now); Of my 1.1.1 Phrynichus orientalis, the sexed male is named Wira and the sexed females is named Siti, both Malay names.

I still need to find a proper Banjarese name for my 0.1 Phormingochilus arboricola and a proper Jeju name for my female Sinopoda koreana, and I haven't even gotten around to looking up the appropriate language for my Hottentotta hotentotta, my two Liocheles australasiae and my breeding trio of Olivierus martensii.
It’s really a great way to learn about the cultures. Searching Venezuelan aboriginal cultures lead me to only 1 book created on their myths..and it’s only available in Spanish (which I don’t speak). I bought it anyway and am using a translator app to read it to me. Until I name her (P irminia) all the ones following are on hold with their nicknames. Learning about the Xhosa was interesting, too, in naming my H pulchripes, Sihamba. Did you know there are several different clicks in the language, each made a different way and corresponding to a different letter? I haven’t made it to Asian species yet, but hope to be there by next year.