Naming Question

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Very quick question - what does sp. mean? i see people call tarantulas sp. and like with the first name of the spider, then sp. like strictly for examples sake, i know there isnt one but like Grammostola sp. or whatever. what is the sp.?

thanks!

Mark

U

Unregistered

Hey Mark. Sp. means species. If it hasn't been described and given a specie name, then they simply refer to it as sp.. Example: Gramastola sp.
If you see ssp., that means subspecies. In the case of geographical morphism for instance, of same species animals one group would be the subspecie. Usually not the first specie described.
Hope that helps. Hope that's correct. Pretty sure that's it.

Atrax

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
THanks, just wanted to clear that up, ive been in the hobby too long not to know what that was =)

Mark

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As long as were asking what things mean, I see LOL all the time. Let me guess, Lots Of Love, Lots Of Luck, Learn On line, Leave On Lights. Did I get it yet? :confused: :)

Ernie

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Mr T, you're cracking me up because I didn't know what it was for the longers time either and there are still some I don't know, for your information:
LOL laugh out loud
ROFLMAO rolling on floor laughing my a** off
IMO in my opinion
IME in my experience

those are the only ones I've learned so far :D

Gail

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gail, Your kill'in me.
I gott'a tell ya , every time I read one of your posts, or replies, I'm either laughing or smiling real big. I do the Crazy Smiling Pixie Dance.
You seem to be a very fun and happy person. I look forward to meeting you in New Mexico this summer, if you can make. it.:D :D ;)

Ern

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I hope to make it. I've still got to find sunblock 3000 spf though :D
Not to mention I don't know if I can trust my husband with the tarantulas. I figure if I see his raid can finger twitching too much the week before I'm due to leave that I'll have to cancel the trip =D

Gail

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You get your Hub lined out to take care of the spiders, and I'll get the sunblock 4000. I get sunburned with the lights on.

Ern

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
ROFLMAO BIG TIME! That is the funniest thing I've heard yet - get my hubby to take care of the spiders! He he he. We are talking about a man who has started to count the big ones to make sure they are all there. A man who can move the 10 feet from his computer chair to the door without ever touching the floor if I say "poop" while caring for the T's. The man who calls them 'face eating man killers'. The man who finally got himself to look at one closely a while back and asked me questions like 'what are those fingers for on it's a**'. The man who doesn't want me to ever take the lids off their cages and who says in a dramatic voice 'dear mother of God, look at the size of that!' when he see a 2" sling! No, he will definately NOT take care of the T's - they will be on their own if I go :D

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys, don't forget LM<edit>AO. That means laugh my <edit> a$$ off.

See ya.
Atrax

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh man, that one brought me to tears. Fingers on its a$$? Thats the funnest thing I've ever heard. Have you ever thought about doing stand up comedy?

E

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Umm...I don't know if you read me right. LOL! Laugh my <edit> a$$ off.
Or were ya clownin' on me?
I like your version too. Either one works for me.

:) Laters.

Atrax

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Yea, I've thought about standup but I have this zit problem lately from all the foods I can't eat because of ingredients I'm allergic to but that I eat anyway and I just don't think they'd be laughing at my jokes - they'd be laughing, but only because I'm a nearly 39 year old woman with red screamers on my nose. Which brings up the thought - why can't these allergic reation zits grow where no one will see them? Why do they always gotta pic the nose or right between the eyes so that it looks like my pineal gland is protruding? Or worse, on my pointy chin so I look like griselda good witch? OK, it's your fault, you got me started. No, wait, maybe it's my fault because I'm so tire and still typing...

Gail

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Atrax,
I read you right . The fingers on its a$$, is what Gail hubby said.

" What are those fingers on its A**? " He's a funny guy.:D :D

See ya,

E

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Gail those descriptions of your husband are hilarious...I'm dieing over here!!!....ROFLMAO!!

'dear mother of God, look at the size of that!'
I hear that one all the time...
:D =D :D =D

Everbody forgot WT<edit>...What The <edit>

John
];')

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mr Modesty

Originally posted by Kugellager
'dear mother of God, look at the size of that'

I hear that one all the time...
:D =D :D =D

John
];')
Yeah, right Kug... me too.:D

Botar

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Re: Mr Modesty

Originally posted by Botar
Yeah, right Kug... me too.:D

Botar
Of course they're talking about your foreheads.... ;P

Scott

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Atrax,
I read you right . The fingers on its a$$, is what Gail hubby said.

" What are those fingers on its A**? " He's a funny guy.:D :D

See ya,

E
Ah, well, now that I've followed the procedure in correct order, (read thread first, then post) it all makes sense. Sorry folks.

Atrax

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
OK, maybe one shouldn't do 3 other things while surfing the web - I just got that one Botar, Kuge :8o :D You are both so naughty - I just don't know how I can keep coming here with all this naughtiness!

Gail