N incei gold dimorphism

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You left out important science terms, so yes you were wrong.
And yet you didn't catch my rephrased statement being even worse off ;) Only a single olive parent would be needed to possibly yield 100% olive offspring.

I'm of the opinion that sequencing may not be needed. It worked for Gregor Mendel and his pea plants :D
Agreed. Anecdotal evidence, in this case, should be enough. But then there are those science purists out there :rolleyes:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Only a single olive parent would be needed to possibly yield 100% olive offspring.
You are phrasing it wrong again. Below are two olive parents as you incorrectly phrase it above.

Aa = Olive phenotype, heterozygous dom. - may produce gold progeny
AA= Olive phenotype, homozygous dom. > produces all olive looking progeny

Both are a "single olive parent".

Cmon man, you're a math major, not all numbers are the same type of numbers, prime etc.....

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You are phrasing it wrong again. Below are two olive parents as you incorrectly phrase it above.

Aa = Olive phenotype, heterozygous dom. - may produce gold progeny
AA= Olive phenotype, homozygous dom. > produces all olive looking progeny

Both are a "single olive parent".

Cmon man, you're a math major, not all numbers are the same type of numbers, prime etc.....
Oh. OH. That's where we're misunderstanding each other. When I say a single olive parent, I mean literally one olive parent in the pair, as in the other parent is gold. Not a single olive dominant gene. Since we have no way of knowing if an olive parent is homozygous or heterozygous, that olive parent can pair with a gold form and possibly result in 100% olive offspring, if that olive parent is homozygous.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Since we have no way of knowing if an olive parent is homozygous or heterozygous,
True

that olive parent can pair with a gold form and possibly result in 100% olive offspring, if that olive parent is homozygous.
True
I mean literally one olive parent in the pair, as in the other parent is gold. Not a single olive dominant gene
An olive looking parent, has an olive gene or 2 olive genes- see below

One olive parent means either AA or Aa. Olive (Aa) + Gold (aa) gives gold progeny, AA never will when paired with gold (aa).

Rather than write olive, which doesn't tell genotype, you are better off writing homozygous, heterzygous, dominant, recessive etc

Get w/the the lingo man! ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
True

True

An olive looking parent, has an olive gene or 2 olive genes- see below

One olive parent means either AA or Aa. Olive (Aa) + Gold (aa) gives gold progeny, AA never will when paired with gold (aa).

Rather than write olive, which doesn't tell genotype, you are better off writing homozygous, heterzygous, dominant, recessive etc

Get w/the the lingo man! ;)
But that's my point - you can never know a heterozygote from a homozygote dominant! It's all about applicability. As a breeder, you'd be unable to know for sure that you'll get any golds unless you've paired those individuals before.

Also, I never studied biology - my degree is completely in mathematics, and I'm studying engineering now. Cut me some slack with the terms ;) I'm recalling all of this from high school.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But that's my point - you can never know a heterozygote from a homozygote dominant! It's all about applicability. As a breeder, you'd be unable to know for sure that you'll get any golds unless you've paired those individuals before.

Also, I never studied biology - my degree is completely in mathematics, and I'm studying engineering now. Cut me some slack with the terms ;) I'm recalling all of this from high school.
I know you that, but when you write as you did in the previous posts, some of your language wasn't accurate. While I know you're a numbers guy, you're a smart guy. When people who read this who are not as smart as you, and have even less inclination or the time to learn than you, those errors won't help them.

Language in this case is pretty important.

I have cut you some slack hah. I've taken the time to explain basic biology, which you caught on fairly quickly.

I know you haven't studied biology, you haven't studied Ts either but you are doing OK ;)

Ah engineering, good general choice. What type?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I know you that, but when you write as you did in the previous posts, some of your language wasn't accurate. While I know you're a numbers guy, you're a smart guy. When people who read this who are not as smart as you, and have even less inclination or the time to learn than you, those errors won't help them.

Language in this case is pretty important.

I have cut you some slack hah. I've taken the time to explain basic biology, which you caught on fairly quickly.

I know you haven't studied biology, you haven't studied Ts either but you are doing OK ;)

Ah engineering, good general choice. What type?
Industrial, working on my M.S. at the moment. We've got a ton of factories opening up here in Vegas within the next decade, so work will hopefully be plentiful. I'll tell you what though, I can't wait to be done with school. I enjoy learning, but school itself? Not so much.

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
Gotta keep in mind that the 25/75 split in sling is only probability. The most probable outcome. you'll most likely get around that but its not a rule.