mythology of cicadas

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah we get some cool reptiles around here.barking trees frogs ,blue skinks that get like 10 inches long,we get these huge chicken snake i have seen one close to 7 feet long,we get green snakes but u know ive never saw one in the trade they only get like 3 feet long but they are like fairly inteligent .they cant bite they dont run away when u hold them there realy cool and easy to breed

Chrysopid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/cicadas.html
The fourth Cicada from the top looks just like yours, but this website can't be sure on even a Genus. Very hard to identify! I can't find anything else yet. Sorry! But, i am ready to see this mystery solved. My book describes this species as the Northern Dusk-singing Cicada with "black-bodied with dull green and brown accents and with portions of its body covered with cottony white material"..."exhausted cicadas can often be found under the lights, captives often emit a very loud alarm buzz, reminiscent of a fire alarm bell" thsi is from "The Songs of Insects" by Lang Elliott and Wil Hershberger. It comes with a CD it is a very neat book if you are interested in insect songs.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you for the info on the book and the CD I'm going to go and buy it now. Wheeeeeeeeee! :D

Black Widow88

Chrysopid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome! You've got to tell me how you like it. It really helps with identifying species (males, anyway) that look alike because the usually have completely different songs.

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i thought they were techniquly still reptiles and the word anphibion is applied just like the word aborial and terretrial:confused:

Chrysopid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the name reptiles referes to Class Reptilia and amphibians in Class Amphibia. I know phylogony, cladistics and classification is changing all of the time. What makes you say frogs are reptiles? I think a big difference is the egg covering...

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i dont know what it realy is in school they said it was an anphibion but i always kinda figured they were reptiles becouse they are cold blooded. but ure right there are a million classifiactions for things i mean bugs are cold blooded but there not reptiles

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's weird 2 species were interbreeding, but either way I hope you let them go after taking the pictures.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i dont know what it realy is in school they said it was an anphibion but i always kinda figured they were reptiles becouse they are cold blooded. but ure right there are a million classifiactions for things i mean bugs are cold blooded but there not reptiles
its an amphibian because it starts off life as an egg in water, then it turns into a tadpole that has gills and then it turns into an air breathing tree frog so it is amphibious...reptiles are an egg then hatch into little what evers and breath air after hatching never breathing wiht gills so they are not amphibious

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok yall win its an anphibon i belive u ...oh yes i did release them after takeing pics

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
YAY! I win! :D I caught alot of frogs at the creek at camp and I got some pics of them waiting to be developed and posted here for you guys. In the mean time just be patient.

Black Widow88

Chrysopid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol, sorry I can't believe he went through the dryer and survived! Amazing! To bad here on the Kansas University campus there are many casualties littered throughout the sidewalks :(

Cigarman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good news for the little guy/girl. I went out back at work and let the little thing see the sky. It climbed up a finger and started flapping and took off into the sky. It gained altitude at an incredible rate and disappeared over the top of our work building. Funny since I figured it was all tuckered out from its dryer ride and a trip in on a harley. :}