My T ate for three consecutive days: Good or bad?

PinoyDude2317

Arachnopeon
My 2"+ B. Albopilosum had eaten for 3 consecutive days this week and I don't know if I should feed it again or not. Is this good for the T?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's not good or bad, just be prepared for it to eventually start to fast. At 2" DLS, that tarantula needs one large cricket every other week at most.

Personally, I wouldn't feed again.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Feed it as much as it will eat. They stop eating when they aren't hungry, just like other animals like humans.

MKNoiL

Arachnopeon
I fed my GBB sling (1") 6 days in a row already. The crickets aren't big actually but when I see abdomen isn't ridiculously large... Im just feeding. Do not worry about that Ure gonna over fed your T 'cause I think it's not possible... Spider would just refuse the meal.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I fed my GBB sling (1") 6 days in a row already. The crickets aren't big actually but when I see abdomen isn't ridiculously large... Im just feeding. Do not worry about that Ure gonna over fed your T 'cause I think it's not possible... Spider would just refuse the meal.
Eh.. You can't overfeed a sling because all that junk in their truck gets put towards gaining size. But it's not a great idea to feed an adult T to obesity, I know that it increases the likelihood of them rupturing their abdomen, I believe I also read that it'll put stress on their pedicel, but I may be wrong about that part.

Not to mention pre-molt would last forever. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just not as fun as having a T that eats ;)

MKNoiL

Arachnopeon
Agree wit
Eh.. You can't overfeed a sling because all that junk in their truck gets put towards gaining size. But it's not a great idea to feed an adult T to obesity, I know that it increases the likelihood of them rupturing their abdomen, I believe I also read that it'll put stress on their pedicel, but I may be wrong about that part.

Not to mention pre-molt would last forever. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just not as fun as having a T that eats ;)
I agree with all of that ;) But He was talking about slings. And I emphasize that abdomen can't be too big cause of reason that U pointed out ;)

I put a photo of my GBB after 6 days of feeding.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Agree wit

I agree with all of that ;) But He was talking about slings. And I emphasize that abdomen can't be too big cause of reason that U pointed out ;)

I put a photo of my GBB after 6 days of feeding.
He was talking about a spider with a DLS over 2", not a sling ;););)

(One of my Gbbs is the same size as yours, molted 6 days ago and is still not eating. ARG :banghead: I don't like it when my little ones have little bums)

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
It'll eat as much as it can till it can't eat anymore and will probably stop eating for a little bit afterwards

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Feed it as much as it will eat. They stop eating when they aren't hungry, just like other animals like humans.
They are opportunistic eaters. And, just like many other animals, including humans, if the opportunities present themselves, some will continue to eat.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
It's not good or bad, just be prepared for it to eventually start to fast. At 2" DLS, that tarantula needs one large cricket every other week at most.

Personally, I wouldn't feed again.
Both of these are correct, in my experience. I don't think it will hurt the T, but be prepared for a long fast.

It happened to me, and made for a boring 3 months. I have a T. stirmi that I overfed and it was kind of a bummer. I ended up getting a few more Ts and started raising slings in the meantime.

Eventually she molted and now my enjoyment as a keeper isn't hinging on one T stuck in premolt. I've got many others that are still hunting and growing and being Ts.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are opportunistic eaters. And, just like many other animals, including humans, if the opportunities present themselves, some will continue to eat.
Correct, but have heard of or know a T that ate itself to death? The worst thing that we are aware of is they stop eating because they ate enough food.

Also this T is 2” hardly adult size, it’s main job is to grow and avoid predators.

I’ve had several Ts all kept at the same temperature who at times would eat a lot, not including post-molt, at some points, and at other points would not eat as much or at all despite their abdomen being smaller than the moments I observed above.

These exotic animals are very much 8 legged black boxes.;)

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Correct, but have heard of or know a T that ate itself to death? The worst thing that we are aware of is they stop eating because they ate enough food.

Also this T is 2” hardly adult size, it’s main job is to grow and avoid predators.

I’ve had several Ts all kept at the same temperature who at times would eat a lot, not including post-molt, at some points, and at other points would not eat as much or at all despite their abdomen being smaller than the moments I observed above.

These exotic animals are very much 8 legged black boxes.;)
There was a thread on AB a number of years back that sticks in mind. If memory serves, the spider was an adult or subadult female G pulchripes that was offered food very frequently and never turned it down. "Junk in the trunk" was an understatement. She was kept in a short profile enclosure so potential injury from a fall was nigh impossible. The keeper found her one day with her abdomen split open. It was surmised that there just wasn't enough give in the abdomen to hold all the prey she had been stuffing in it.
The photos were sufficient to cause me to lighten the feedings to my own spiders.

On the human side, it would not surprise me in the least to hear of my sister's husband exploding from over eating. :)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I suppose subconsciously, I go more by their rump size more than any actual timetable these days.
With my adult/sub-adult Ts (slings all grew up!) I usually aim for feeding every two weeks; and occasionally even weekly feedings (more for my joy in watching their take-downs than their real nutritional needs).
The worst feeding neglect happened a year or so ago when I got so busy and all my poor Ts had to wait a month for their feedings (I did do a quick water top-off but didn't take time to catch them some B lats... then time got away from me). They were all fine, no losses, but I felt horribly guilty! I am much more aware since that happened to make time for them no matter how crazy my life gets. Poor Ts -- they can't meow at you and trip you like a cat -- or scream at you like parrot to get their needs met. They can become invisible in their tanks when your life gets hectic, so I make it a point to check on them daily again (as one does naturally when new to the hobby!!!)

The only exception to my general 2-week'ish feeding schedule is rosie -- I let her go a good 6 weeks between feedings and that has pretty much eliminated her long fastings. She usually just gets a water dish top-off every week or so.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There was a thread on AB a number of years back that sticks in mind. If memory serves, the spider was an adult or subadult female G pulchripes that was offered food very frequently and never turned it down. "Junk in the trunk" was an understatement. She was kept in a short profile enclosure so potential injury from a fall was nigh impossible. The keeper found her one day with her abdomen split open. It was surmised that there just wasn't enough give in the abdomen to hold all the prey she had been stuffing in it.
The photos were sufficient to cause me to lighten the feedings to my own spiders.

On the human side, it would not surprise me in the least to hear of my sister's husband exploding from over eating. :)
I've always wondered just how likely this is to happen. For example, my albo ate a lot at one point, and she was quite large. However she promptly stopped eating for many months then she molted.

It could be she ate too much. Or perhaps the exoskeleton had a defect in it that was only realized due to such a full belly.

It's hard to say. I've never had a such a problem because my Ts on some level go through a lot of food, and then stop for a bit, and pick up again. Even my albo and emilia ultimately stop eating, but who knows each one is an individual. The next one may go the way of Humpty Dumpty.

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
I might be wrong but I was feeding my gbb sling every day or two, she wasnt looking fat but now she's in "premolt" since 110 days. In opposite, i was feeding my juvenile chilobrachys once a week with a medium sized red runner, she molted 2 days after her last meal. Maybe feeding frequency does matter a lot when it comes to molt

MKNoiL

Arachnopeon
I might be wrong but I was feeding my gbb sling every day or two, she wasnt looking fat but now she's in "premolt" since 110 days. In opposite, i was feeding my juvenile chilobrachys once a week with a medium sized red runner, she molted 2 days after her last meal. Maybe feeding frequency does matter a lot when it comes to molt
Your GBB situation is gonna be a good reference for me 'cause I'm feeding my GBB sling the same as You, every day or two. Shes not looking fat and feels always hungry. Now I'm thinking about getting a bit diet for her... :p

Otherwise my Lasiodora Parahybana sling molted(today!) 4 days after she's last meal with really pumped abdomen...