My Praying mantids

jerremaniac

Arachnopeon
I've got a pair of European Mantises collected from my back yard who didn't mate on their first attempt, but I'm REALLY hoping I can distract her from repeatedly smacking him in the face this weekend. Love your photos of the babies... oh to have little ones scampering around the house :astonished: I'm totally jealous!

louise f

Arachnoangel
I've got a pair of European Mantises collected from my back yard who didn't mate on their first attempt, but I'm REALLY hoping I can distract her from repeatedly smacking him in the face this weekend. Love your photos of the babies... oh to have little ones scampering around the house :astonished: I'm totally jealous!

That sounds pretty cool, i wish i could collect those in my backyard :) I wish you the best of luck on the next mating attempt. You could try to feed her while letting the male in then she would be busy eating ;):p:D a great trick if you ask me..

jerremaniac

Arachnopeon
Thanks Louise! She was being photographed on my back porch when a male flew up and approached her the first time. I definitely plan to have her stuffing her face this time around ;) she's a REALLY good eater! image.jpeg image.jpeg

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
A thing I will advise you is with nymphs feed them once every day and mist everyday along with cleaning the enclosures once a week.

louise f

Arachnoangel
A thing I will advise you is with nymphs feed them once every day and mist everyday along with cleaning the enclosures once a week.
Thanks for the advise i was feeding them every other day and misting every day. And cleaning once a week some times twice depends on how dirty it gets.
Is it because they grow faster if you feed them every day or is it because that they are so fragile or something else ? Just curious. :)

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Well in general mantis nymphs are kind of fragile at young instars below 3. Feeding them everyday works as long as you don't feed too much. I recommend feeding either one huge meal for one week and one smaller meal in between each week or feeding every other day in small amounts or feeding every day but small amounts. As adults however they are really hardy unless it's a delicate species.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Well in general mantis nymphs are kind of fragile at young instars below 3. Feeding them everyday works as long as you don't feed too much. I recommend feeding either one huge meal for one week and one smaller meal in between each week or feeding every other day in small amounts or feeding every day but small amounts. As adults however they are really hardy unless it's a delicate species.
How can you overfeed a nymph? If it gets big from feeding, it will simply molt again, wouldn't it?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I linked a video I recorded today on youtube to my thread. I fed my mantids honey. They bloody loved it.