My millipede collection

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Oh my god, millipede heaven! I wish I could hold them all, they're so pretty and adorable ;; What a beautiful collection!

bigjej

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What a wonderful collection. I just picked up my first millipedes at Tinely - gold phase Desert Millipedes. Don't recall the scientific name but I believe they are natives to the U.S. How did you manage to build such a collection ?

Marika

Arachnoangel
What a wonderful collection. I just picked up my first millipedes at Tinely - gold phase Desert Millipedes. Don't recall the scientific name but I believe they are natives to the U.S. How did you manage to build such a collection ?
Thanks, and congrats on your new pedes :). They are probably Orthoporus ornatus? Well, there are lots of species available in Europe, and I would have a larger collection if I had more room for new tanks :D.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Aw, I saw my Spirostreptus gregorius yesterday :happy:. The last time was like 6 months ago. She had molted and is probably full-grown now, I hope she becomes at least a bit more active...

mickiem

Arachnoprince
There's something wrong with my C. giganteus.

First these yellowish areas were spreading and growing:

And now there's this:

I was thinking that it could be some sort of fungal infection? The one in the photos is the only one left now, the other one just died, even though he didn't look nearly as bad as this.
How did the other C giganteus fare?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
His condition hasn't improved and he's most likely at the end of his life span, but he's still alive. Drinking from a water dish at the moment...
Not sure if you saw my post on mycosis. My largest female AGB showed some fungus and I painted it with 1% clotrimazole. She was better the next day. I read from one source that it is highly contagious. I haven't separated mine but watch them twice a day. They have a tunnel system underground but have been staying topside. If she starts going under again I will put her in a smaller enclosure with less substrate. They have 10" now.

Anyway - check out that thread. I am going to treat her every 3 days for 3 treatments. That's my current plan. The medication is for athletes foot and other fungal problems. Over the counter.

Last edited:

Marika

Arachnoangel
Not sure if you saw my post on mycosis. My largest female AGB showed some fungus and I painted it with 1% clotrimazole. She was better the next day. I read from one source that it is highly contagious. I haven't separated mine but watch them twice a day. They have a tunnel system underground but have been staying topside. If she starts going under again I will put her in a smaller enclosure with less substrate. That have 10" now.

Anyway - check out that thread. I am going to treat her every 3 days for 3 treatments. That's my current plan. The medication is for athletes foot and other fungal problems. Over the counter.
I hope the treatment works and she gets better. There's also this thread about the subject: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/colossobolus-sp.288074/

Marika

Arachnoangel
I was so happy to see my other Cameroon grey/cream stripe is a male, the other one is a female, so I have a pair :happy:

I wish it was already spring so I could get more pedes :D. Spirostreptidae sp 8, A. gigas, A. cf. brandtii and probably Telodeinopus aoutii, at least those are on my list. Also Rhopalomeris carnifex if I can find some at a reasonable price.

HexaDiplo

Arachnopeon
I love your collection!
My only succesful millipede species is Archispirostreptus gigas. I had three Tanzanian Red Legged millipedes but they died, maybe because they did not get wood :(
What species of yours is easiest to breed?

Marika

Arachnoangel
Did you get some new ones? Both sexes yet? I think these are so beautiful!
No, those are my old ones. It's too cold for shipping (and I haven't seen anyone selling these in Finland), so I'm going to have to wait until April/May before I can order some new ones. I hate winter :D.

I love your collection!
My only succesful millipede species is Archispirostreptus gigas. I had three Tanzanian Red Legged millipedes but they died, maybe because they did not get wood :(
What species of yours is easiest to breed?
Thanks! :) I've had some losses too, it sucks when you don't know why they died. Centrobolus splendidus, Anadenobolus monilicornis and Chicobolus spinigerus have been prolific, and the babies grow pretty fast too.