My lasiodora parahybana

liamfrench123

Arachnopeon
Bottle caps for water bowl. Best to place them in the substrate so it sits flush with it. Just putting it on top of the substrate forces the tarantula to climb up which could tip things over.
awesome thanks! <3 any tips for rehousing? i can imagine shes pretty quick! xD

Try tesco for things like food storage containers, lunch boxes, anything that is plastic and appropriately dimensioned. I have one of mine in a tesco clip fruit container
oh yea this looks quite good actually, ill have another look for some more stuff, otherwise ill go with one of the tubs previously posted! How did you make the ventilation holes?

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
oh yea this looks quite good actually, ill have another look for some more stuff, otherwise ill go with one of the tubs previously posted! How did you make the ventilation holes?
I use a drill, just making sure the holes are no bigger than the carapace of the T, they are very good at squeezing through holes. But you can use a soldering iron. It will take some time, but a heated up sewing needle taped to a pencil will also do the trick for sling enclosures

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Bottle caps work just fine, anything that is appropriately sized and hold water will work, don’t worry if it’s deeper than a cap if you use something alternative it won’t drown.

for Ventilation for slings it’s common to use soddering iron, or a drill/dremel with a smaller bit than the size of the carapace

For rehousing you will have to dig out substrate little by little till you uncover it. If you’ve never done it before it’s hard to visualize through words proper technique. Watch some of Tom Moran’s video on his YouTube channel Toms Big Spiders. He has some sling guides as well as respectable straight forward rehousing videos that aren’t flashy.

sasker

Arachnoprince
any tips for rehousing?
Erm...a steady hand? Nerves of steel? ;)

Just take it easy and take as long as you need. Force yourself not to move if your tarantula makes a sudden movement. They move faster than you can respond anyway, so a knee-jerk reaction is not going to help you safely catch it. Place your terrariums (old and new) in a tub or a wide open space. This gives you some room to work and your tarantula is not likely to run very far. Do not do rehouses in a cramped space with much clutter. A bathroom would do, for example.

And as @Smotzer says, watch some clips by Tom Moran. He shows really well how to stay calm, even with bolty species. A tip from Dave from Dave's Little Beasties: if a tarantula becomes agitated, just take a few minutes brake and try again. Although this remark was made in relation to the rehouse of a fast OW species, this applies to all species that tend to be a bit nervous (LPs can be a bit nervous when they are young). Don't poke and prod, and your spider is likely to remain quite calm. You got this, don't worry :)

liamfrench123

Arachnopeon

Just take it easy and take as long as you need. Force yourself not to move if your tarantula makes a sudden movement. They move faster than you can respond anyway, so a knee-jerk reaction is not going to help you safely catch it. Place your terrariums (old and new) in a tub or a wide open space. This gives you some room to work and your tarantula is not likely to run very far. Do not do rehouses in a cramped space with much clutter. A bathroom would do, for example.

And as @Smotzer says, watch some clips by Tom Moran. He shows really well how to stay calm, even with bolty species. A tip from Dave from Dave's Little Beasties: if a tarantula becomes agitated, just take a few minutes brake and try again. Although this remark was made in relation to the rehouse of a fast OW species, this applies to all species that tend to be a bit nervous (LPs can be a bit nervous when they are young). Don't poke and prod, and your spider is likely to remain quite calm. You got this, don't worry :)
awesome thanks! thanks everyone for your input on this too, ive just made a new enclosure with the tub and drilled some holes into it, just letting the substrate dry out a bit as i put too much water in! will update you all after ive tried rehousing! <3

mission successful! felt bad as she was clearly a little stressed, didnt kick hairs or anything though so thats good, have her in the new enclosure and shes sitting in the corner with her legs tucked in which im pretty sure is a stress thing, ill leave her for a bit and give her some time but all went well :)

mission successful! felt bad as she was clearly a little stressed, didnt kick hairs or anything though so thats good, have her in the new enclosure and shes sitting in the corner with her legs tucked in which im pretty sure is a stress thing, ill leave her for a bit and give her some time but all went well :)
all settled in now, if anyone has anything to add for information i may find useful, feel free to mention! <3

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I remember the jump scares I had years ago, (carefully) digging out my ‘Vietnamese Earth Tiger’ for her final rehouse! :eek: :rofl:

She was a sweetie really! :angelic:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
if anyone has anything to add for information i may find useful, feel free to mention! <3
Be patient, sit back and wait. its going to take some time for it to settle in fully, so if you see abnormal behavior like climbing or wandering on not being interested in food, its all normal. Patience. And start using the search function and read thhreads to learn more about sling care and common problems and your Lasiodora. And it may be helpful for you to post pictures of the new set up, if you want folks to make sure its all correctly set up.

liamfrench123

Arachnopeon
I remember the jump scares I had years ago, (carefully) digging out my ‘Vietnamese Earth Tiger’ for her final rehouse! :eek: :rofl:

She was a sweetie really! :angelic:
aha! I did have to also gently dig her out her burrow bless, she didnt seem all the bothered though, just kinda crawled up and sat there as i got her into a cup xD Tarantulas seem to be so gentle, one of the only types of spider i like xD

Be patient, sit back and wait. its going to take some time for it to settle in fully, so if you see abnormal behavior like climbing or wandering on not being interested in food, its all normal. Patience. And start using the search function and read thhreads to learn more about sling care and common problems and your Lasiodora. And it may be helpful for you to post pictures of the new set up, if you want folks to make sure its all correctly set up.
thanks again for the reply! will add some photos when i next get the chance! everything should be okay though, there is a waterbowl and i made the start of a burrow for her in the corner, she seems to be pretty settled in, only problem is she gets a little frightened at the unclipping of the lid of the box, not sure if that will make feeding harder for me but ill have to see next week or so!

thanks again for the reply! will add some photos when i next get the chance! everything should be okay though, there is a water bowl and i made the start of a burrow for her in the corner, she seems to be pretty settled in, only problem is she gets a little frightened at the unclipping of the lid of the box, not sure if that will make feeding harder for me but ill have to see next week or so!
Here ya go! Pictures are nothing amazing but its mainly to show the depth of substrate and stuff :)

Attachments

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
aha! I did have to also gently dig her out her burrow bless, she didnt seem all the bothered though, just kinda crawled up and sat there as i got her into a cup xD Tarantulas seem to be so gentle, one of the only types of spider i like xD
Awesome! I recently got a young parahybana myself (hence my interest in this thread) and I agree - lovely temperaments. I just rehoused mine to a rectangular box too. It’s a little large at the moment and the burrowing and walling up the hide entrance has happened. It has fed well previously, is browning up for a moult, and is coming out at night for a wander - so I’m happy. Let the Tarantula tarantula as they say!

liamfrench123

Arachnopeon
Awesome! I recently got a young parahybana myself (hence my interest in this thread) and I agree - lovely temperaments. I just rehoused mine to a rectangular box too. It’s a little large at the moment and the burrowing and walling up the hide entrance has happened. It has fed well previously, is browning up for a moult, and is coming out at night for a wander - so I’m happy. Let the Tarantula tarantula as they say!
Oh yes! Im not sure if i mentioned or not but this is actually my first, one of my biggest interests in the species is how big they get so quick, i find it fascinating! She does seem to be happier in the smaller enclosure that shes in now, there isnt any hiding away or anything, shes out in the open most of the time and just hopping in her little burrow every now and then, im just excited to attempt feeding her and actually being able to see it haha! How big is yours currently?

cold blood

Staff member
one of my biggest interests in the species is how big they get so quick
Well then you may be disappointed.

IME the species doesnt always grow fast, even if they often do....I have had several that were actually very slow growers....I have a female right now thats over 3 years old and just 3.5"....and its not the only LP I have had grow that slowly.

Also, the species max size is simply put, the single most exaggerated t size in the t world. Common claims of it being the largest, or even one of the largest species is just pure fabrication made up to sell ts that have sacs that can reach 2000 spiderlings. Claims of 10" specimens are lies.....the species gets to 7-8", with the rare female reaching 9....pretty much the same sizes as dozens and dozens of large tropical species.

If fast growers interest you, look to the Psalmopeous genus, or N. incei or Tappies...these are some of the fastest growing species around.....all have faster growth than Lasiodora.

liamfrench123

Arachnopeon
Well then you may be disappointed.

IME the species doesnt always grow fast, even if they often do....I have had several thast were actually very slow growers....I have a female right now thats over 3 years old and just 3.5"....and its not the only LP I have had grow that slowly.

Also, the species max size is simply put, the single most exaggerated t size in the t world. Common claims of it being the largest, or even one of the largest species is just pure fabrication made up to sell ts that have sacs that can reach 2000 spiderlings. Claims of 10" specimens are lies.....the species gets to 7-8", with the rare female reaching 9....pretty much the same sizes as dozens and dozens of large tropical species.

If fast growers interest you, look to the Psalmopeous genus, or N. incei or Tappies...these are some of the fastest growing species around.....all have faster growth than Lasiodora.
its not a huge deal to me really, im mostly just enjoying having a T!
Interesting stuff though, ive always thought they were one of the biggest, its not a big deal though :D Thanks for the reply!

cold blood

Staff member
Interesting stuff though, ive always thought they were one of the biggest, its not a big deal though :D Thanks for the reply!
Glad you aren't disappointed.....you will certainly still enjoy it.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
They might not grow to be the biggest, but honestly an 8 inch spider is still a very large spider! Its impressive enough to see a nice chunky 5" female T.
They are still amazing to look at and enjoy even if they are dwarfed by the mega lumpers like the Theraposidae

liamfrench123

Arachnopeon
They might not grow to be the biggest, but honestly an 8 inch spider is still a very large spider! Its impressive enough to see a nice chunky 5" female T.
They are still amazing to look at and enjoy even if they are dwarfed by the mega lumpers like the Theraposidae
Oh yea of course! From what ive seen most people say they arent very much to look at but i think they are super pretty! May just be due to not seeing anything of more colour with my own eyes irl or something. Super happy with my decision though, i love her/him to bits already xDD

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Oh yea of course! From what ive seen most people say they arent very much to look at but i think they are super pretty! May just be due to not seeing anything of more colour with my own eyes irl or something. Super happy with my decision though, i love her/him to bits already xDD
The adults have a beautiful pink tinge to them! These are the same people who say G. Rosea are boring and only like blue tarantulas that they only get to see once a decade (although they are beautiful too)

liamfrench123

Arachnopeon
The adults have a beautiful pink tinge to them! These are the same people who say G. Rosea are boring and only like blue tarantulas that they only get to see once a decade (although they are beautiful too)
I thought so too! I found the pink really pretty aha, and oh yeah there is some beautiful species! Poecilotheria metallica is probably the prettiest ive heard of, im no where near the level of knowledge and experience needed for something like that though xD

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Mine is probably about 6 or 7 cm DLS. Here is my set up! If she (hopefully) climbs the wall (15 cm) she is well below the 1.5 x rule in most places, although I’ve built in uneven terrain in places. The length is 30 cm, width 20 cm.

Tips and feedback welcome! (Not wishing to hijack your thread Liam - hope it’s ok if we learn together!)

Attachments