My first tarantula...Goliath bird eater.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
have you seen its ventral? how can you say there is no Epiandrous fusillae ya know the "male silk things"! males do have them!
Look at the pic and then read the posts properly! you will note the op refures to the pedipulps as 'extra silk things" I never said there is no Epiandrous fusillae! i clearly stated that its not a mm!

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Look at the pic and then read the posts properly! you will note the op refures to the pedipulps as 'extra silk things" I never said there is no Epiandrous fusillae! i clearly stated that its not a mm!
I stick by my call originally that the Theraphosa sp. "Burgundy" in question does look indeed male, well to me anyway, and as for the OP's ventral opinions that he can see "extra silk things" that would be a male Theraphosid's accessory organs not palps.......

:rolleyes:

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
I stick by my call originally that the Theraphosa sp. "Burgundy" in question does look indeed male, well to me anyway, and as for the OP's ventral opinions that he can see "extra silk things" that would be a male Theraphosid's accessory organs not palps.......

:rolleyes:
Correct! i agree with you! on the accessory organs! But the op was refuring to palps! The op is a novice t keeper! Infact its his first t! And doesnt seem to know anything about t's!
& Furtheremore i agree it looks male by body structure! but once again it is not a mature male! Please read my post thoroughly!

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Correct! i agree with you! on the accessory organs! But the op was refuring to palps! The op is a novice t keeper! Infact its his first t! And doesnt seem to know anything about t's!
& Furtheremore i agree it looks male by body structure! but once again it is not a mature male! Please read my post thoroughly!
I have read your posts thoroughly and appreciate the fact that I was the one who mentioned it could be a MM in the first place, I didn't say it was. What led me to that conclusion was the OP's mentioning of the tarantula constantly pacing its enclosure, that and the fact that the tarantula looks dorsally male in structure, but all that was cleared up two pages ago with a palp shot.

:)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not to sound like a jerk, but:

I have had literally hundreds of WC Theraphosa since i first started keeping T's 14 years ago, and 99% of them wonder the cage relentless, specially if adults.
No matter the sex, it doesnt mean anything . Wheter they are males or females, they are really hard to adapt in captivity and will wonder the cage and climb unless you have an EXTREMELY large cage (40-50G), the burrows are big and dark, the humidity is high and the cage is rather warm.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well over here in the UK we don't get many WC Theraphosa sp. if we do it is very minimal and as for wandering around the tank, any tarantula may do that. It is one of many small factors that can indicate a MM but is in no way saying it is one as I stated earlier. As for the main reason I presumed the tarantula male is its body structure and physical characteristics, as someone who has owned many Theraphosa Fran, can you tell that the tarantula in question pictured actually looks like a male?

I am in no way saying you can look at any Theraphosa and sex it dorsally but you can get an idea or a hunch like that, no?

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
I have read your posts thoroughly and appreciate the fact that I was the one who mentioned it could be a MM in the first place, I didn't say it was. What led me to that conclusion was the OP's mentioning of the tarantula constantly pacing its enclosure, that and the fact that the tarantula looks dorsally male in structure, but all that was cleared up two pages ago with a palp shot.

What i was saying in the begining! is why do people want to phone the pet store! did he hold a gun to his head to buy the T? before i buy any new pet i do alot of homework on it! sothat you know how to house it, know how to tal the sex, how to feed it! and the way they act if unhappy or happy etc...

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What i was saying in the begining! is why do people want to phone the pet store! did he hold a gun to his head to buy the T? before i buy any new pet i do alot of homework on it! sothat you know how to house it, know how to tal the sex, how to feed it! and the way they act if unhappy or happy etc...
Well then we fully agree with one another!!!

:cool:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well over here in the UK we don't get many WC Theraphosa sp. if we do it is very minimal and as for wandering around the tank, any tarantula may do that. It is one of many small factors that can indicate a MM but is in no way saying it is one as I stated earlier. As for the main reason I presumed the tarantula male is its body structure and physical characteristics, as someone who has owned many Theraphosa Fran, can you tell that the tarantula in question pictured actually looks like a male?

I am in no way saying you can look at any Theraphosa and sex it dorsally but you can get an idea or a hunch like that, no?

It does look like a male, but of course not for the smaller abdomen (that can happen to any sex) but for what you said about the physical characteristics.

Males tend to have a very rounded carpace and thinner/smaller quelicera...Althugh I would need another dorsal pic to tell...

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It does look like a male, but of course not for the smaller abdomen (that can happen to any sex) but for what you said about the physical characteristics.

Males tend to have a very rounded carpace and thinner/smaller quelicera...Althugh I would need another dorsal pic to tell...
Yes well as I haven't seen a ventral shot as of yet, we both cant be certain. As you mentioned though the carapace is the initial telling point, obviously abdomens can vary on any tarantula due to feeding regimes, but also the overall leggy appearance looks male (where as females legs tend to look a lot shorter in appearance due to increased size upon maturity)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Maybe the OP will put up a vent pic. It could very well be male. But it would be good to be sure. Did the Pet store guy tell you this was a female? Usually pet stores dont sell things as male or female.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe the OP will put up a vent pic. It could very well be male. But it would be good to be sure. Did the Pet store guy tell you this was a female? Usually pet stores dont sell things as male or female.
I bet he did.....

Everyone is out to make a buck no?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I bet he did.....

Everyone is out to make a buck no?
Well the problem with selling a T as m/f when you dont know your *** from the hole in the ground is most times your wrong. Then people dont want your business. Even if the pet shop corrected the problem it doesnt mean it wont happen again. Its kind of a "if you find out you got screwed well fix it" policy, Like buying a used car. :wall: "It starts and runs great" No one said it drives great.. {D

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well the problem with selling a T as m/f when you dont know your *** from the hole in the ground is most times your wrong. Then people dont want your business. Even if the pet shop corrected the problem it doesnt mean it wont happen again. Its kind of a "if you find out you got screwed well fix it" policy, Like buying a used car. :wall: "It starts and runs great" No one said it drives great.. {D
Very true, although I don't see it changing anytime soon.....

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Finally finished this thread...all I can say is:

:wall:

Another case of impulse buy syndrome at it's best.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very true, although I don't see it changing anytime soon.....
Unleast you find a local PS that have tons of spiders and they really pretty much talk with scientific names...stay away from those stores.

They will tell you what you want to hear.

Finally finished this thread...all I can say is:

:wall:

Another case of impulse buy syndrome at it's best.
Welll...Its his first T...Its kind of understandable. :eek:

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm a bit confused as while people are jumping to MM because it was wandering. The last time I checked Tarantulas lay web like other spiders, and tend to lay webbing in their new enclosures. Now if he has had it for 2 months, and all of a sudden it was wandering more then normal and tapping, then I could understand people saying "oh its probably a MM".

Why is everyone wanting to jump this guy at the pet store. Maybe we should call and quiz every pet store that sells tarantulas. I would hate for some 17 year old trying to get gas money to feel left, because a bunch of people didn't call and yell at him at work. Most of the time the people who work at pet stores are no different then the ones buying from them. The owners, and the ones writing the "care pamphlets" are the ones they get their information from.

For sexing no one here can tell you its a male with out a good ventral shot. You can always go look at the sexing threads, and try to do it yourself if she wont be still long enough for you to take a pic. Just keep calling her "her" till you find out otherwise.;)

I wouldn't keep her in a 10g personally, but she could live in that. If you can try to get a 20g, or put her in the 40g you have. If something lived in the 40g before make sure you disinfect it before adding your new T.

You did good coming here for info, but remember people are people. Just because someone here has 1000 post, or even has 100 tarantulas it doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. The best way to learn is through experience. Try to take in the information that seems to repeat itself about the care, and then the rest is experience. Just always remember to enjoy her, and do your best. Good luck with your new T.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Welll...Its his first T...Its kind of understandable. :eek:
I have friends who bought a flying squirrel at a local show because they thought it was neat and wanted it at that moment in time.

It sits in the corner of their apartment and is never held, talked to, or given any other kind of attention. They make sure it has food and water, but that's as far as it goes.

Guess who was at the show telling them not to buy it?

<-----

I mean, I can even undersand that impulse buy over this one. My understanding here is that the OP went to a pet shop and bought the spider, right?

So...odds are if he had researched it a bit first, the spider still would have been there a few days later.

Reptile shows are there for a weekend and then gone. No time for research.

Oh well.

Theraphosa sp. "Burgundy", as people have already said. Do you agree, Fran?

Lose (most of) the ventilation on the lid. Don't use a towel, use saran wrap.

Moist substrate, water dish, big hide, orchid moss if you want.

I want to see a ventral shot too, but I doubt we'll ever get one.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm a bit confused as while people are jumping to MM because it was wandering. The last time I checked Tarantulas lay web like other spiders, and tend to lay webbing in their new enclosures. Now if he has had it for 2 months, and all of a sudden it was wandering more then normal and tapping, then I could understand people saying "oh its probably a MM".
Theraphosa sp. don't tend to web a great deal.... Also it was an assumption based on the tarantulas appearance....

Why is everyone wanting to jump this guy at the pet store. Maybe we should call and quiz every pet store that sells tarantulas. I would hate for some 17 year old trying to get gas money to feel left, because a bunch of people didn't call and yell at him at work. Most of the time the people who work at pet stores are no different then the ones buying from them. The owners, and the ones writing the "care pamphlets" are the ones they get their information from.
Maybe the guy at the PS new fully of the gender of the tarantula and upon talking to the OP heard his fears of not wanting a male so decided to say that the tarantula in question was female anyway to lure sale taking into account how far the OP had traveled to pick up the said tarantula (you don't work for PetCo do you?)

For sexing no one here can tell you its a male with out a good ventral shot. You can always go look at the sexing threads, and try to do it yourself if she wont be still long enough for you to take a pic. Just keep calling her "her" till you find out otherwise.;)
This has been mentioned a few times on previous pages....

I wouldn't keep her in a 10g personally, but she could live in that. If you can try to get a 20g, or put her in the 40g you have. If something lived in the 40g before make sure you disinfect it before adding your new T.
Obviously.....:rolleyes:

You did good coming here for info, but remember people are people. Just because someone here has 1000 post, or even has 100 tarantulas it doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. The best way to learn is through experience. Try to take in the information that seems to repeat itself about the care, and then the rest is experience. Just always remember to enjoy her, and do your best. Good luck with your new T.
Firstly everyone falls into the bracket of people are just people, you included. The OP came here for advice from people who keep this species. And to be honest it sounds like your knowledge on the Theraphosa genus leaves much to be desired.....