My first tarantula...Goliath bird eater.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
how bout a picture of the Tarantula?! Prob doesnt like the substrate. eco earth like stated above. pretty obvious the pet store guy only knows what the pet store tells him.:wall:

And another thought you should reduce the ventalation with ceran wrap. It will keep the humidity up. BTW the hygrometer you have is just a rough estimate. so you shouldnt rack your brain looking at it.

BTW im glad your here on the boards asking for advice. It doesnt matter you bought the spider first. just that your making the effort to keep it properly :)

Last edited:

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did a month of reserch before I bought it I had organic potting soil but exotic pet store guy sold me the crap it didn't like u guys are right I gave him too much credit. And he knew it was unhappy because it was inactive and wouldn't molt until he moved it down to a small container. How do I move it to the bigger container.

mischiefhaze

Arachnopeon
Learn how to swim by jumping feet first in the deep end. Im the same way. As long as you understand you may have to learn hard and fast, you'll be ok.

I like where your head is Mark77. I personally don't have the experience to put the pet store guy in the hot seat, but I bet a few reading this stream could give him a run for his money over the phone. Post the number.

I don't know if I am looking at the pic wrong or what, but all I see is the enclosure. No T. Get a good pic of the T on here and these guys will tell you what you have and give you some care tips, then you can search the forum for other information about the species.

Good luck

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She moved a line of dirt across the front of her hide to the back of her cage and made a Mound of dirt bigger and now she's standing on the mound.

Ever since i put her in the big container she's been running around trying to climb the walls.

What's this mean.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Firstly nice T!!!

I reckon from looking at the pictures that its a Theraphosa sp. "Burgundy" soon to be classified Theraphosa spinipes, also are you sure it is a female? I only ask that as it looks rather leggy and the increase in activity is something that mature males tend to do.....

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You've gotta be kidding me it was supposed to be a female Goliath bird eater are you shore

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You've gotta be kidding me it was supposed to be a female Goliath bird eater are you shore
No one can be sure unless you can see a previous moult from your tarantula, if possible could you get a picture of the underneath of its abdomen? But the way you describe its behaiviour does sound like a MM, and as mentioned earlier it does look a bit leggy

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
An easy way to see if it is a MM (mature male) check on the pedipalps.. If it has eboli (Spelling?) then its a MM.. I might be wrong.. But these dont have tibial hooks.. Do they? Either way.. If you want to know if its a MM get a picture of its palps & someone here can say if its a MM or not..

BTW gorgeous spider.. :)

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
An easy way to see if it is a MM (mature male) check on the pedipalps.. If it has eboli (Spelling?) then its a MM.. I might be wrong.. But these dont have tibial hooks.. Do they? Either way.. If you want to know if its a MM get a picture of its palps & someone here can say if its a MM or not..

BTW gorgeous spider.. :)
Yeah your right this species doesn't have tibial hooks, and checking for bulbous palps would be a lot easier than looking underneath the T although ventrally if it is male it would be easy to see as this species is easily ventrally sexed :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah your right this species doesn't have tibial hooks, and checking for bulbous palps would be a lot easier than looking underneath the T although ventrally if it is male it would be easy to see as this species is easily ventrally sexed :)
I didnt think they did.. I just couldnt right remember.. Not a spider I can get.. They will make me itch real bad.. If I cant handle a Brachy.. Then there is no way I can handle one of these.. :(

Sucks to.. I think they are a gorgeous spider.. I guess I will just stick with my LPs.. :D

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aye, they're an awesome species but as you mentioned there hair aint good!!!

I got totally haired of one of my B.boehmei yesterday and it never really effected me too much although I took a moult out of my unsexed T.spinipes RUB this morning and I'm itching already :/

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
those are the pedipalps and a couple of legs so you guys can sex it for me also how can i tell if it is a sp. burgundy or a t.blondi.

sorry forgot to click upload

please reply quick

Attachments

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
when I get new substrate would it be alright to just put down a layer of that or do I need to replace it all. Also she wanders around the container trying to climb the glass. What does this mean and is it bad

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
when I get new substrate would it be alright to just put down a layer of that or do I need to replace it all. Also she wanders around the container trying to climb the glass. What does this mean and is it bad
Well when replacing substrate its best to change all of it, all you do is take the tarantula out into another container and then change the substrate clean the dish and hide etc then once its all nice a clean put your tarantula back in. You shouldnt have to do this for quite a while though until it needs changing :)

The constant walking around thing all the time is something that MM's do as they are actively seeking a mate, although that doesn't mean your tarantula is a MM, it may be that its just inquisitive to its new home and surroundings, next time its sat on the glass try to get a photo of the underneath of its abdomen just in between where the book lungs are visible and post it up :)