My first tarantula...Goliath bird eater.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Welcome to the hobby, great choice of species and prepare to become addicted!!!

:)

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Definatly t. Blondi.

She is a t. Blondi. She was hissing earlier I was freaking out thinking she wasn't.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also he did all of the stuff he said right. No cotton it'll get in their lungs. It has the scientific name on the cage. Very knowledgeable man.
If he told you to avoid cotton because it will get in their lungs, he doesn't know all of his stuff. Ts lungs are not on the inside and they do not actively breathe. Their lungs(book lungs) are on their underside(ventral) and are actually folds of cuticle that allows their blood(hemolymph) to be pumped through it to oxygenate it. Cotton should pose no problems to the book lungs.

Also, just because they gave you a scientific name, does not mean it is correct. We bought an A. seemani that turned out not to be an A. seemani.

I would check here on the forum for all the other care tips he recommended to check the validity of them. Welcome to the hobby/ forum/ addiction!:D

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I really doubt you could put an adult Theraphosa sp. in a too large of a cage. for and adult a 20 gallon is the minimum. (they live in a huge jungle for gosh sakes!) As long as there is a hide it wont care how big the cage is.

And im not saying yours is an adult. you havnt even told us and type of description of the T. Size is a good start. for all we know its 2" 5" or 11". Pictures would solve alot of our questions. Also if the pet store guy is so smart.. Then why didnt he steer you away from this T?!?! or did he? I dont think anyone here recommends this as a learners T.
And for the identification part. Funny i got sold a skeloton T.. it was an A. seemanni!! {D

And we all love a witch hunt, its fun! ;)

And you better start selling stuff that takes up space.. since you will be keeping hundreds of tarantulas by next year{D

Last edited:

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She's 8 in. I measured approximately when she got up on the glass. The clerk said when he owned 1 it was unhappy in a big tank but when he moved down to a ten gallon it was happy.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll try her in the 40 gallon to see if anything happens. Also do they need to burrow and what happens if they can't.

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll try her in the 40 gallon to see if anything happens. Also do they need to burrow and what happens if they can't.
Mine has a very large hide in a huge, half-buried plastic flower pot. She's never had any inclination to burrow, but that's just mine. Try giving yours the opportunity to burrow and let her do what she wishes.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im trying to add picture i dont know if this worked but if it did its its enclosure its under the hide.

Last edited:

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it's hanging on the top it may not be happy with the substrate. BTW: Misting doesn't do much if you aren't intending to "water" an avic. I've found, through my own experience, that while misting isn't bad, pouring water into a good depth of substrate and allowing it to dry out in between increases the humidity for a much longer time (Days/week compared to minutes/hours) than misting. However, I live in a very dry area and, therefore, if I mist the dry air just sucks up the moisture. That's even with limited ventilation.

Congrats and good luck...enjoy your' T.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What substrate should I get.
Maybe next time you could do at least a little bit of research on how to care for an animal that you plan on purchasing.

I would suggest using coco-fiber mixed with some vermiculite. The coco-fiber comes in compressed bricks that you can find at pet stores. Vermiculite can be found in the garden section of a Lowe's, Home Depot or similar stores. Vermiculite is resistant to mold. You can either mix it together or use a top layer of vermiculite on top of the coco-fiber.