My Collection Post Leaving Venomous Hobby

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks guys... Still waiting for those photos.

In the meantime, here are my three leo girls for that male:

Still not feeding well after a week spent in their new enclosures. They lived in racks their entire lives and now they are in glass aquariums, which might be the problem. Any good ideas?
Plenty of hides so they can feel comfortable/safe and get away from it all should they feel the need.

Their tails are plenty plump so it won't do them any harm in the short term.

If you really get worried wax worms will get their attention.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Plenty of hides so they can feel comfortable/safe and get away from it all should they feel the need.

Their tails are plenty plump so it won't do them any harm in the short term.

If you really get worried wax worms will get their attention.
Thanks mate.

One is eating reasonably well, the other two might have eaten 2-3 roaches at most last week. I agree that the tail fat is good so I am not super worried but when reptiles don't eat, sleeping is a challenge.

Three females that stay together has a large humid hide and a small dry hide but they mostly stay together in the humid hide. I will separate them if they still don't eat well in the next two weeks.

They were fed crickets and mealworms before. I have roaches but I will order some mealworms to keep in their terrarium at all times. No crickets in my house.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks mate.

One is eating reasonably well, the other two might have eaten 2-3 roaches at most last week. I agree that the tail fat is good so I am not super worried but when reptiles don't eat, sleeping is a challenge.

Three females that stay together has a large humid hide and a small dry hide but they mostly stay together in the humid hide. I will separate them if they still don't eat well in the next two weeks.

They were fed crickets and mealworms before. I have roaches but I will order some mealworms to keep in their terrarium at all times. No crickets in my house.
Zeus my adult male Tokay goes through stages of not eating much. Some times only 3 adult roaches a week.

It's a massive change for them to go from a drawer to a viv. I'm sure they'll appreciate the change though.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Zeus my adult male Tokay goes through stages of not eating much. Some times only 3 adult roaches a week.

It's a massive change for them to go from a drawer to a viv. I'm sure they'll appreciate the change though.
I think they are getting used to the situation. All three females were out hunting tonight. I scared the big one with roaches but the rest stayed out and hunted their meals. The big girl ate a roach yesterday from my hand anyway.

I ordered some mealworms to leave in their terrarium as a permanent source as well.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I think they are getting used to the situation. All three females were out hunting tonight. I scared the big one with roaches but the rest stayed out and hunted their meals. The big girl ate a roach yesterday from my hand anyway.

I ordered some mealworms to leave in their terrarium as a permanent source as well.
Good stuff.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Finally some progress with Bikgi:

The breeder said he absolutely refuses roaches but likes chicken heart so I cut up some today and offered him with added calcium powder. He took a piece from forceps so progress! But then he bolted the little freak :). This is going to take time and I also need to give him some pet store bought expensive crickets once in a while...

Xenodamus

Arachnopeon
Awesome! I would still at least try roaches with him though. I had a pair of Varanus acanthurus that I bought as 6 month olds, the breeder swore he'd tried everything to get them to eat roaches, but they would only take crickets. I fed them 80% roaches during the years I had them. So you just never know. Also, them being the only dwarf species I've ever kept-if it's worth anything- they also loved crushed head superworms, 1 day old quail(cut up if they're too big), and dusted ground turkey/ chicken hearts/ chicken livers/ chicken gizzards, and were so-so about f/t mice. I've had luck with Varanus that I've kept by starting with tong feeding, then making them come close/ climb the enclosure to get to you and your tongs, then getting them to climb on you-arm/leg to get the food, and then start touching while they're climbing/ eating, and eventually picking them up. Treats are the way to their trust. And letting them make the first move i.e. getting them to climb on you for food, before you start any touching, if possible. An upper priority though, is making sure they can tell you(your hand especially) from food. So let them smell you as much as possible during appropriate times.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Awesome! I would still at least try roaches with him though. I had a pair of Varanus acanthurus that I bought as 6 month olds, the breeder swore he'd tried everything to get them to eat roaches, but they would only take crickets. I fed them 80% roaches during the years I had them. So you just never know. Also, them being the only dwarf species I've ever kept-if it's worth anything- they also loved crushed head superworms, 1 day old quail(cut up if they're too big), and dusted ground turkey/ chicken hearts/ chicken livers/ chicken gizzards, and were so-so about f/t mice. I've had luck with Varanus that I've kept by starting with tong feeding, then making them come close/ climb the enclosure to get to you and your tongs, then getting them to climb on you-arm/leg to get the food, and then start touching while they're climbing/ eating, and eventually picking them up. Treats are the way to their trust. And letting them make the first move i.e. getting them to climb on you for food, before you start any touching, if possible. An upper priority though, is making sure they can tell you(your hand especially) from food. So let them smell you as much as possible during appropriate times.
Thanks mate! Roaches are not working but he started taking fuzzy mice, which is a big step for me. He is also more tolerant to me being around. He also still likes chicken hears.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Quick shot of three of the leos I have and focussing on shedding one:

One is Electric Tangerine, the one I am shedding is Albino Electric Tangerine and the big white one is White and Yellow SnowGlow Typhoon.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Nothing came out of the previous set of matings but male stopped eating again so I put them together again. Let's see if something happens this time...

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I like your post venomous collection a lot that Varanus sp. samarensis was awesome and you made a great call to send him to somewhere he can live in such a large enclosure. That nifty little dwarf monitor you got is great too and a lot easier to provide above standard housing so that's cool too. You should look at getting a chahoua gecko, by far my favorite species especially female pine islands.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
We are not allowed to keep snakes in racks. I had huge rack spaces for ball pythons and I got fined for that.
Did they even know anything about keeping ball pythons? IMO they do great in large rack setups, like how is the rack any worse than a tank with the same footprint for a snake that likes things warm and dark. If anything racks with large slots are better as they hold humidity better if built right and offer more security to a species that primarily lives in the hollows of termite mounds in the wild.