most venomous

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
I've been trying to find out what the most venomous/deadliest spider/tarantula in the world is. Not beecause I want 1 but just to know. I'm not counting the daddy long leg beca use it could never kill a human. I've narrowed it down to 3 and all 3 claim to be .
1-brazalian wandering
2- brown recluse
3-sydney funnel web
This is all I'm aware of as of now. What do you guys think?

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
The wandering spider is very toxic and it moves a lot which makes it very dangrous. The brown recluse is very toxic as well but isn't very aggressive but if a person put there hand on it without knowing it was there. It would bit you but the sydney funnel web is very dangrous as well but its the males that cause the most trouble because they move around looking for females. I say wandering spider though because its venom is very very toxic and it is highly defensive in nature.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Atrax Robustus and whatever the Brazilian Wandering spider's name is would be tied for most venomous. If I recall correctly though, Lactrodectus is more potent in the LD50, but has much less venom.

As for Ts...probably Stromatopelma/Poeciletheria/H mac (can't recall "H" genus)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i aint really that sure, but i do know that the daddy long leg aint a spider like the old wives tale..its a harvestman, and they dont have any venom at all....look em up on wikipedia...kinda interesting to know.and as far as most dangerous but not deadly, id say my cobalt blue....almost as psycho as my gf...haha

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There actually is a "spider" that is a daddy long legs. Different from what most people call the harvestman. But there has never been any tests done, b/c it would involve injecting venom into a test subject. Even so, it was hypothesized that it was VERY unlikely it was very toxic at all.

I did quite a bit of research on that b/c I was sick of hearing how deadly they were.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They had a multitude of Daddy Longlegs bite Adam on Mythbusters. Yes, they can puncture skin. Yes, they are venomous. No, the venom didn't do much.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i aint really that sure, but i do know that the daddy long leg aint a spider like the old wives tale..its a harvestman, and they dont have any venom at all....look em up on wikipedia...kinda interesting to know.and as far as most dangerous but not deadly, id say my cobalt blue....almost as psycho as my gf...haha
http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html
here is some info on the Daddy long legs being spiders or not..

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Non-Ts

Atrax robustus
Hadronyche formidabilis
Sicarius hahni
Phoneutria nigriventer
Phoneutria fera

(2nd tier)

Latrodectus hasselti
Latrodectus mactans
Loxosceles laeta

Ts

Stromatopelma calceatum
Poecilotheria striata
Harpactirella lightfooti

All of the above and their associated genera are the most venomous.

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As I understand it these are the absolute worst. The true spiders are in no particular order but the tarantulas are what I presume to be from most potent and downward from there. Please correct any mistakes I may have made!

Trues

Sicarius sp.*
Latrodectus sp.*
Loxosceles reclusa
Atrax robustus
Phoneutria sp.*

Tarantulas
Stromatopelma calceatum
Heteroscodra maculata
Haplopelma sp.*
Poecilotheria sp.*
Pterinochilus murinus

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have not been bitten or heard of anybody ,but this T Encyrocratella olivacea , is one i would not want bit by , as when it takes food the struggle only last minute maybe . i have 3 of them and all prey dies super fast with them . so i think they are pretty strong on the venom . now maybe all the other t's i have just like to feel there prey squirm lol

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Although recluse spiders have a pretty significant venom, they are not aggressive. We actually have them living in our house and don't worry about them. (Except for the few that find their way into the bedroom - they get moved to safer locations.) Most recluse bites happen when someone has accidentally squeezed a recluse, such as rolling over on one in bed or putting on clothes that had been left on the floor and become occupied by a recluse. There are a lot of other spiders that, if you go strictly by venom potency, would be on the list - but because they don't bite people or don't deliver enough venom to be effective are almost unknown in the popular media. My bets for most dangerous would be the Atrax and Phoneutria.

By the way - "daddy long legs" is one of those common names that gets attached to different animals in different parts of the country or by different people. To me the name belongs to the harvestman, a harmless non-spider. But I've also heard it applied to Pholcid spiders, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are other spiders that sometimes get called "daddy long legs" too. That's one reason I prefer to use scientific names if the common names are unclear.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Although recluse spiders have a pretty significant venom, they are not aggressive. We actually have them living in our house and don't worry about them. (Except for the few that find their way into the bedroom - they get moved to safer locations.) Most recluse bites happen when someone has accidentally squeezed a recluse, such as rolling over on one in bed or putting on clothes that had been left on the floor and become occupied by a recluse. There are a lot of other spiders that, if you go strictly by venom potency, would be on the list - but because they don't bite people or don't deliver enough venom to be effective are almost unknown in the popular media. My bets for most dangerous would be the Atrax and Phoneutria.

By the way - "daddy long legs" is one of those common names that gets attached to different animals in different parts of the country or by different people. To me the name belongs to the harvestman, a harmless non-spider. But I've also heard it applied to Pholcid spiders, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are other spiders that sometimes get called "daddy long legs" too. That's one reason I prefer to use scientific names if the common names are unclear.

My new neighbor got bit by a brown recluse on the face, it was confirmed a brown recluse... he said he almost died, spent a lot of time in the hospital... I didn't get to into the conversation as I was chasing my daughter... but bites do happen. It can in on a shipment of building materials that he was working with...

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah my uncle got bit by brown recluse this summer here in arkansas . i got to witness how it progressed. not something i would want to deal with took long time to heal .and drained alot of fluid. but healed up nicely now was bitin in a bad spot around knee so it always was moving when walking

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My new neighbor got bit by a brown recluse on the face, it was confirmed a brown recluse... ...but bites do happen.
Yes, they do happen. And when they do, they can be serious. They have a venom component that "digests" fat tissue, which is pretty unique. There have been fatalities from recluse, so there's good reason to take them seriously. But it's also worth noting that there are situations in which the bites occur, and if you can control those situations the spider is much less dangerous. They are more likely to bite if pinched or restrained, such as when someone rolls over onto one in bed, puts on clothing that the spider is in, etc. I keep them out of my bedroom, but have no worries about the ones that I know currently reside under the bookshelf in my living room or on one of the shelves in my arachnid room.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They had a multitude of Daddy Longlegs bite Adam on Mythbusters. Yes, they can puncture skin. Yes, they are venomous. No, the venom didn't do much.
Opiliones (daddy long legs) do not even have venom glands, so you must be mistaken. It is a myth that these would be deadly and that where lucky they can't break our skin....Btw, uptill a couple of years ago, I thought this was true, untill an arachnologist told me that Opiliones do not have venom glands, spinnerets etc....

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Opiliones (daddy long legs) do not even have venom glands, so you must be mistaken. It is a myth that these would be deadly and that where lucky they can't break our skin....Btw, uptill a couple of years ago, I thought this was true, untill an arachnologist told me that Opiliones do not have venom glands, spinnerets etc....
I grew up being told that this was true... so very annoying that people keep teaching their children this when there is no truth to it at all. Makes me wonder how on Earth this got started in the first place.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You should have that arachnocologist contact the arachnocologist that helped Adam get bit. :) By the way, it was Pholcus phalangioides that bit him. You might want to actually look up what you are talking about before commenting. ;)