most venomous

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been calling Pholcus species Daddy Long Legs since I was little. Called harvestman "harvesters" after seeing them in a children's bug book.

Now I have another reason to hate common names...

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You should have that arachnocologist contact the arachnocologist that helped Adam get bit. :) By the way, it was Pholcus phalangioides that bit him. You might want to actually look up what you are talking about before commenting. ;)

OMG, :rolleyes: I was "wrong" because one spider managed to break 1 mm through skin of a thin skinned left driver?...
this is exactly why I come to AB, for the few people that know what they are talking about and a good laugh.....you provided the good laugh today, thank you for that!

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OMG, :rolleyes: I was "wrong" because one spider managed to break 1 mm through skin of a thin skinned left driver?...
this is exactly why I come to AB, for the few people that know what they are talking about and a good laugh.....you provided the good laugh today, thank you for that!
You were wrong for assuming. I'm glad your' being wrong (based on premature assumptions) made you laugh! It makes me laugh. :wall:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You were wrong for assuming. I'm glad your' being wrong (based on premature assumptions) made you laugh! It makes me laugh. :wall:
When a professional arachnologist tells me something about a subject that I do not know much about, I have every right to assume that it is right. Even a six year old would understand that.
I despise your moralistic superiority act "I am better than you and I will tell you that you are wrong" trip.
End of discussion for me :D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Really? You guys are fighting about this?

I think that most people in the US, when they hear "Daddy Longlegs" think of what we know as Opiliones, or harvestmen. They wander about and are essentially fearless, making them quite neat to handle and play with when you're a kid, making the venom myth that much more scary. They also do not produce any webbing. I believe that this is also the animal the myth was intended for.

I watched that Mythbusters episode and was somewhat taken aback. I would have expected them to at least make mention of the fact that there were two species with the same nickname... but they didn't.

BOOOOOO Mythbusters! It's never been the same since Scotty left.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah Moltar,

I think your right, we shouldn't argue about it, but I got a bit irritated somehow...Sorry for that :)