Most extreme so far....

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stefan2209 said:
Sure, i thought hard about that spider. Sure, i´m interested and i wanted it, no doubt. But would it do any good? Could i give this special arachnid the proper care and attention it deserves? Would i be the best choice (for the spider itself) to care for it?
Personally, i don´t think so.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NotaSpider said:
This is a fine board in many ways; however, I am yet to grasp most people’s thoughts as to the study, description and conservation of each species.
This is simply a difference in philosophy. The way I see it, the pet trade is a way to keep a back-up gene bank in case the species happens to go extinct in the wild. There are thousands of individuals of the species in thousands of locations around the world, guarrenteeing that if something happened to their native habitat we could rebuild at least somewhat.

NotaSpider

Arachnopeon
Evil Cheshire said:
This is simply a difference in philosophy. The way I see it, the pet trade is a way to keep a back-up gene bank in case the species happens to go extinct in the wild. There are thousands of individuals of the species in thousands of locations around the world, guarrenteeing that if something happened to their native habitat we could rebuild at least somewhat.

Sorry, I have no guts. :8o I deleted my post because I thought I was being a bit controversial.

You have a point. It worries me a little, however. It is a bit like the fossil trade. Sometimes people are more interested in owning rather than 'knowing'.

I suppose in an ideal world one need not inhibit the other.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

@ Notaspider

I second your general idea.

However, there´s one point within it, i have my troubles with: as soon, as people get to know of the existence of certain species, they want to keep specimen of it. Guess anybody of us who´s actually keeping spiders, knows this feeling.

Now there are just two ways of getting hold of the specimen: buying wc or buying cb´s, if they´re available. The first option could indeed result in harming natures treasures.
As all of us like to think of ourselfes as ecologocical concerned indiviaduals, it should be no question, which option to go for: cb´s!
How do becom cb´s available? Well, somebody has to "produce" them, which means somebody will need at least a few wc specimen to start with.

With this special spider i see several things: it isn´t available as cb by now. There seems to be at least some interest in the "general keepers market" in this species. Now it´s the responsibility to take as good care of this single specimen as one could do, to find out what it needs and to wait if this female may perhaps be fertilized...

If this shouldn´t be the case there might be limited imports of some other specimen to be able to get into breeding. To be able to do this, one needs knowledge, even more knowledge, time, motivation, some more knowledge and mustn´t be afraid to get into efforts. This is the sacrifice you just have to spend, if you´re working with "new" species and you´re indeed aware of the given risks with keeping "pet" spiders.

For anybody out there who doesn´t like to go through this, or who just can´t do it right now, there´s still the chance to aquire cb specimen, as long as one is patient enough to wait for them. To my experience this can in some cases take several years, till all special needs of a certain species are evaluated.

So it´s just a very personal question, which option suits you best. A general "No" to the imports of wc´s wouldn´t just work, as there´re always individuals that are more than willing to take away all what mother nature has to offer. It´s the responsibility of the guys knowledgeable enough to make sure, that wc specimen are used only and just for one single purpose: breeding, to make this species available as cb´s to anybody who´s interested in it.

A part from that, i see no justification for any animal import, regardless of the species. Take a look at the exports of Grammostola rosea for an example, a shame to my opinion.

Greetings,

Stefan

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NotaSpider said:
Sorry, I have no guts. :8o I deleted my post because I thought I was being a bit controversial.

You have a point. It worries me a little, however. It is a bit like the fossil trade. Sometimes people are more interested in owning rather than 'knowing'.

I suppose in an ideal world one need not inhibit the other.
It's not problem, you brought up a very good point. I have the same concerns you do. I was just going to post an elaboration, but stefan beat me to it.

Kudos, man.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Evil Cheshire said:
It's not problem, you brought up a very good point. I have the same concerns you do. I was just going to post an elaboration, but stefan beat me to it.

Kudos, man.
Hi again,

once more, i second that, really no need seen to delete it, no offense or such taken, so don´t mind!

This world would be an even worse place, if we just couldn´t have this talked through.

Greetings,

Stefan

Omega

Arachnopeon
that is totally unreal!! looks like candy!!

:eek:

I would seriously run away like a little school girl if i saw that in the wild...

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really admire everyones responsible standpoints on this subject. and self control! I agree that in the hobby we have the power to study and maintain species that we currently know nothing about I think by keeping alot of these rare and unique spiders we are given the opportunity to get some insight into the balance of the ecosystems they come from. and what exactly they require to survive. which will allow us to identify what needs to be preserved in order for them to thrive in the wild. and re-populate if necessary.
It makes me feel good to know that people out there are using this kind of responsibility with new sp. and not just taking what they please from nature before we know how many there are and how to properly care for them. :clap: :clap: for everyone who choses to use their power and judgement wisely!!

Christpher

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm gonna bump this up for some of our newer members/dealers.
For the members: yes.

For the dealers: no.

My 2 cent.... ;P

Still waiting for pictures of Heteropoda lunula from the US, let alone this species.... :D

Stefan

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For the members: yes.

For the dealers: no.

My 2 cent.... ;P

Still waiting for pictures of Heteropoda lunula from the US, let alone this species.... :D

Stefan
I figure that if there's a dealer who specializes in heteropoda who would have a *genuine* interest in obtaining them and breeding them, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

I've never heard of H. lunula.

Any info?

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I figure that if there's a dealer who specializes in heteropoda who would have a *genuine* interest in obtaining them and breeding them, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

I've never heard of H. lunula.

Any info?

Hi,

i´m in touch with some people who you could dub "knowledgeable", including Peter Jäger....

Nevertheless, i have severe doubts that it´ll be that easy to get hold of specimens.... ;)
.... let alone breeding those - guess you don´t know too much about their life style?

Check my threads for info about H. lunula.

Check "Arachnoporiums" announcements: WHERE IS PROOF?

Amused Greetings,

Stefan

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

i´m in touch with some people who you could dub "knowledgeable", including Peter Jäger....

Nevertheless, i have severe doubts that it´ll be that easy to get hold of specimens.... ;)
.... let alone breeding those - guess you don´t know too much about their life style?

Check my threads for info about H. lunula.

Check "Arachnoporiums" announcements: WHERE IS PROOF?

Amused Greetings,

Stefan
I don't know anything about them. I was hoping you might have dredged up a bit more info since then.

I tried searching for 'Where is proof' and came right back here in the search.

I'll try looking at Arachnoporium's posts.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bet that mother is toxic as all heck.
So, Cheshire, if we somehow collected one and offered it to you as long as you conducted a bite test on yourself ..would you seal that deal? :? ...:D

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've found pictures of this spider (I think) before and they had a species name, but I can't find it again :(

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't know anything about them. I was hoping you might have dredged up a bit more info since then.

I tried searching for 'Where is proof' and came right back here in the search.

I'll try looking at Arachnoporium's posts.
Hi,

more info had been dug up back then through my buddy who had taken care about that specimen.

Just because of WHAT was found we decided to not publish this, as the species is fragile.

Neither will anyone from our side try to get hold of more specimens nor do i hope that anyone else will ever get hold of this species again.

Some species do better in nature- this is definitely one of this cases.

No info available, for good reason.

Greetings,

Stefan

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

more info had been dug up back then through my buddy who had taken care about that specimen.

Just because of WHAT was found we decided to not publish this, as the species is fragile.

Neither will anyone from our side try to get hold of more specimens nor do i hope that anyone else will ever get hold of this species again.

Some species do better in nature- this is definitely one of this cases.

No info available, for good reason.

Greetings,

Stefan

I really am a bit curious about it now...would you consider taking it to private correspondance?

I'm not as curious about collection info as I am about why they're so difficult to be bred in captivity.

I bet that mother is toxic as all heck.
So, Cheshire, if we somehow collected one and offered it to you as long as you conducted a bite test on yourself ..would you seal that deal? :? ...:D
One?

No.

A breeding pair or a female clutching an eggsac?

Depends on if they're able to be bred in captivity. If they were mildly difficult, then yes...I would as long as we were in the lobby of a good hospital.

Unfortunately, if Stefan says they're impossible to raise then I'm definitely going to take his word for it.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unfortunately, if Stefan says they're impossible to raise then I'm definitely going to take his word for it.
I respect everyone's opinions here but this just sounds like a challenge to me.