Most extreme so far....

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey all,

promised i´d get back to you with something special, here we go.

Before i start, some info´s first, the pictured specimen is a fresh import from asia. I have more detailed info´s about the locality, but won´t tell it there, so please son´t inquire.
The spider is said to be quite skittish and agressive, it shows a quite extreme thread-display, as it raises nearly all its legs at once, sitting on its butt.
Next to that, it webs a lot.

I don´t know any more than that, as i´m not in posession of the spider and won´t be in the future. Pics are from the importer with friendly permission to post.

Last thing: No, it´s not a toy. :D

Enjoy:

Greetings,

Stefan

spinnekop

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Stefan, you gotto be kidding !!!!:?
This is the most extreme colored huntsman spider I ever saw. Looks like an olios sp... (but i could be wrong easily)
I am not surprised that more and more weird looking species show up. There are still unexplored forrests with a lot of unknown species (Malaysia for example).

surfer

Arachnopeon
this is yellow flat spider :)))

I don´t know any more than that, as i´m not in posession of the spider and won´t be in the future. Pics are from the importer with friendly permission to post.

Last thing: No, it´s not a toy. :D
Last thing: No, it´s not a toy. :D ;P ;P :mad:

I had never seen so colored speciest!! It looks like some kind of candy ;P
What is the domicile of origin of this spiders?[/QUOTE]

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello,
Very cool looking. First thing I thoght of was that "Smiley Face" spider from hawaii (I think.)

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it looks like a happy-face did it with a huntsman.....so cool, it's unreal.

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
absolutely bizarre! See one of those in the wild and it would be a bit like: "so.... that's why the locals like this tea so much....":D completely surreal.. thanks for sharing that stefan

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looks like something from a Lewis Carol book.

Does this guy have any plans to breed, or am I going to have to slap him?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
YIKES!

It looks like a cross between a huntsman and a jellybean!

But..a huntsman that spins webs? Very odd. Awesome spider in any case!

Blackrose

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hallo Stefan

I don´t know what to say!

A W E S O M E !

It is always good to see that the real rare animals are kept by the real professionals!

Greets
Andi

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've actually seen this spider on another forum and people wouldn't believe it was real.

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
woa. that is amazing I would love to have something like that on a coffee table or something out where it could be seen.

once again, amazing. thanks for posting it.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My question is : WHY WONT YOU BE IN POSSESSION OF THAT <EDIT> NICE LOOKING SPIDER IF YOUR FRIEND THE IMPORTER HAS SOME!!!! Please buy it and post more pictures :)!!!!

phil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

first things first: THANKS to all of you for your interest. Replies like this may motivate some importers and collectors to keep their eyes peeled for such strange arachnids, which should be to our all delight.

Next: sorry, i don´t have any more answers to your questions, than i have already given.

Neither do i know WHAT that spider is, nor anything more, we´ll all have to wait till somebody will start with detailed observations.

The only question i can still answer, is why i won´t be that guy who´ll do that observation: sorry, but that´s just not my "business".
I got contacted by a whole bunch of people from around the world over the last weeks and months, who all wanted the same: just express their appreciation of some of my threads and pictures.

I appreciate such reactions much, as i do this in my spare time and who doesn´t like to feel accepted.

Nevertheless it´s often enough hard and sometimes frustrating work, especially with so-called "new" species, wether they´re "new" in captive-care or completely undiscovered. You have to be extremely careful with setups and have to experimentate with the environmental settings, till you find out what´s needed by the spider.
I´m able to show some rather rarely seen or strange arachnids, as i´m mainly working with imports these days. As a result of this, a big part of my collection is such "new" species and i have now reached a level where i for myself think, it´s by time i slow it down a bit, if i want to keep the "usual quality".

Sure, i thought hard about that spider. Sure, i´m interested and i wanted it, no doubt. But would it do any good? Could i give this special arachnid the proper care and attention it deserves? Would i be the best choice (for the spider itself) to care for it?
Personally, i don´t think so.

My main interest is still with ctenids, Phoneutria and Ancylometes in detail. Followed by some jumpers, by Scytodidae and Deinopidae, not to mention some Lycosids and whip-spiders, too. Guess it´s just enough for now.

There´re some guys i know of, who are real sparassid-freaks and who know much more about the proper care of such spiders than i do. Why in the world should i take away this spider, if it could be kept and observed by one of those?

It´d just be an egoistic "i can buy it, so i do buy it"-behaviour, that i dislike with other people, so i´m not gonna behave like that myself. I´ll gladly do anything i can, to make sure this spider will get into the possession of one of those. Believe me, both of that guys are members of this board and will supply qualitiy pics of this species, too.

Furthermore and to draw a bottom line under this topic: if this spider should happen to be fertile and preggo, the chances of offsprings are way higher with any of the two mentioned candidates, than they would be with me, as i´ve never bred or raised something like this. The production of offsprings has to be the absolute priority with species like that. If this project should be successfull, this species will soon enough be available to everybody who´s interested.

Thanks for reading.

Stefan

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, yeah bistro...I personally expected that was the reason when I read this thread. I honestly wish I could say I hold the same restraint.

Nice to see there's plans to breed. I can put away my slappin' hand. ;)