Most Active Species

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Even though I've recently celebrated by 10 year anniversary on here apparently, I'm still very new to the scorpion sub-forum.

I've been super fascinated thus far by my new Heterometrus sp adult and wanted to ask the community, what are the most active scorpion species you've seen available in the hobby? In what way are they active- hunting, roaming, burrowing, attacking the enclosure walls like a velociraptor to check for weaknesses never attacking the same place twice?!

I'd prefer ones that weren't super hot, but please list whichever species are most active / entertaining in your experience and if they are the super hots, please say so. I don't want to grow a super collection of scorpions but wouldn't mind another one or two species.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
For a scorp that isn’t hot, my H. arizonensis is feisty. And a good eater. As is my Heterometrus silenus, but they’re mostly like a pet rock until you open their enclosure. The arizonensis has been a better eater as well.

Edit: I don’t keep very hot scorpions, so if you’re wanting something different I sadly wouldn’t be too knowledgeable there.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
For a scorp that isn’t hot, my H. arizonensis is feisty. And a good eater. As is my Heterometrus silenus, but they’re mostly like a pet rock until you open their enclosure. The arizonensis has been a better eater as well.
I second the H. arizonensis. Probably my favorite scorp we have here in the US. I used to keep one a few years back, and it was an insanely feisty eater, and was very active and alert. Also if you set up the enclosure correctly you can even witness it burrowing tunnels which is always fascinating to watch. I also love their size as well, in my opinion it makes a great addition to any collection. Not to mention it’s considered a “beginner” scorpion.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I heard the leiurus genus was active when kept at high temps, but they're quite hot.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea, I know keeping Hot species is possible and doable, I just don't want the risk. Maybe not for myself but my girlfriend or dogs if one somehow got it by any number of possibilities.

The Arizonensis sounds like a good possibility. I was trying to figure out if that would be a better fit or the dune scorpion S mesaensis. I was reading another thread and someone mentioned the vertical burrowing and being really active, but could just be theirs.

I'm a late night kind of person so I get to see plenty of T activity and imagine it would be similar for the scorps as well.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Yea, I know keeping Hot species is possible and doable, I just don't want the risk. Maybe not for myself but my girlfriend or dogs if one somehow got it by any number of possibilities.

The Arizonensis sounds like a good possibility. I was trying to figure out if that would be a better fit or the dune scorpion S mesaensis. I was reading another thread and someone mentioned the vertical burrowing and being really active, but could just be theirs.

I'm a late night kind of person so I get to see plenty of T activity and imagine it would be similar for the scorps as well.
Paruroctonus Xanthus, the Neon Sand Swimmer - very active and attractive looking scorpion. Also from the deserts of Arizona and California. Also possible to breed in captivity, unlike the Hadrurus family

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Paruroctonus Xanthus, the Neon Sand Swimmer - very active and attractive looking scorpion. Also from the deserts of Arizona and California. Also possible to breed in captivity, unlike the Hadrurus family
That sounds like a cool species I'm unfamiliar with. Would you say it's more active than a dune scorpion? I assume it's still a nocturnal worker.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I heard the leiurus genus was active when kept at high temps, but they're quite hot.
Both my L. quinquestriatus and L. jordanesis are very active. They're constantly on the move and will go out of their way to hunt their prey down.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Both my L. quinquestriatus and L. jordanesis are very active. They're constantly on the move and will go out of their way to hunt their prey down.
That sounds almost perfect, minus the deathstalker part! Haha.

Of my T's, my favorites thus far are my M robustum, GBB, and G actaeon for their activity in the enclosure. Sounds like the L genus has lots of active little terrors.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a question on scorpion size and I looked it up and have read different things on different forums that appears to vary depending on what part of the world you're in.

When measuring a scorpion I understand in the US it's mouth to tip of tail when you see a size called out. Is this correct?

If I see a supplier or breeder list a scorpions body size, is that the mouth to base of tail or including tail as part of the "body"? Or does that come down to the supplier?

I'm trying to decide between the H arizonensis, S mesaensis, and P xanthus and I'd like to go with a larger scorpion if possible. It doesn't have to be big, but I'd prefer it not to be tiny. From what I'm seeing, it's 1-2" body length for the latter 2, which seems pretty small unless I'm thinking incorrectly.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
H. arizonensis goes through a type of hybernation during part of the year, it's called diapause. You won't see it for months as it will be hiding in its burrow. I'm not sure if those other desert scorpions go through a similar hibernation but I expect they would.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been doing a lot of reading and looking and I think I want to go with an Anuroctonus phaiodactylus aka Mafia scorpion. Everything I've been able to find (not a lot) people say it's one of their favorite scorpions personality wise, they apparently do a ton of digging like the Dune and Neon and are pretty active at night.

I'm having a hell of a time finding one though! I reached out to someone here but it seems there is no longer an active Scorpion forum and all the places I know of that sell scorpions don't have these. I did find an ad here with a few available so we'll see what happens.

Is there a season / timeframe where scorpions are readily available? Like summer, etc?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I've been doing a lot of reading and looking and I think I want to go with an Anuroctonus phaiodactylus aka Mafia scorpion. Everything I've been able to find (not a lot) people say it's one of their favorite scorpions personality wise, they apparently do a ton of digging like the Dune and Neon and are pretty active at night.

I'm having a hell of a time finding one though! I reached out to someone here but it seems there is no longer an active Scorpion forum and all the places I know of that sell scorpions don't have these. I did find an ad here with a few available so we'll see what happens.

Is there a season / timeframe where scorpions are readily available? Like summer, etc?
Another large, active, non venomous scorpion is within the Nebo family. They are large , colourful, for a scorpion, and are an arid/ semi desert species. There are 3 fairly readily available in the trade, one the Nebo whitie- not sure on spelling - just type in Nebo Scorpions should be okay. I was going to purchase some myself a while back, but am overflowing with my lot as it is. You may find that things pick up around the summer time, with scorpions I've found best to purchase when advertised, as they seem to come and go, what's available this year may not be around again or for a couple more years. Best to just keep looking, and if you decide on something, wait until it turns up, it's a bit hit and miss with scorpion imports.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I have quite a few of these guys actually (Anuroctonus phaiodactylus), and i have a gravid female that’s going to give birth any day now. I have to say, their “personality” is definitely extremely defensive; opening the lid to their enclosure they will throw up a striking pose. they are definitely a pet hole though, it’s very rare you actually find one outside of it’s burrow / hide. they usually just sit with their claws in the mouth of their burrow / hide, and even the slightest movement will send it shooting back deeper into its burrow to hide. in the wild they hardly ever leave their burrow, and most found outside of burrows are mature males looking for a mate. I will admit though, i really do enjoy keeping them. they’ve got stunning colors, and big personalities. Not to mention watching them dig elaborate burrows with multiple chambers and entrances, and then making new ones the next day, definitely very cool to watch. as for your question about the best time for these guys, i’ve noticed they become active as soon as the temperatures rise to around 45°F or more at night. so early spring, and then they are active all summer until the temps go back below that.

Last edited:

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Another large, active, non venomous scorpion is within the Nebo family. They are large , colourful, for a scorpion, and are an arid/ semi desert species. There are 3 fairly readily available in the trade, one the Nebo whitie- not sure on spelling - just type in Nebo Scorpions should be okay. I was going to purchase some myself a while back, but am overflowing with my lot as it is. You may find that things pick up around the summer time, with scorpions I've found best to purchase when advertised, as they seem to come and go, what's available this year may not be around again or for a couple more years. Best to just keep looking, and if you decide on something, wait until it turns up, it's a bit hit and miss with scorpion imports.
Are the Nebo whitei a black body with yellow appendages like the C bicolor, or is their body also yellow and they just have black bordering?

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have quite a few of these guys actually (Anuroctonus phaiodactylus), and i have a gravid female that’s going to give birth any day now. I have to say, their “personality” is definitely extremely defensive; opening the lid to their enclosure they will throw up a striking pose. they are definitely a pet hole though, it’s very rare you actually find one outside of it’s burrow / hide. they usually just sit with their claws in the mouth of their burrow / hide, and even the slightest movement will send it shooting back deeper into its burrow to hide. in the wild they hardly ever leave their burrow, and most found outside of burrows are mature males looking for a mate. I will admit though, i really do enjoy keeping them. they’ve got stunning colors, and big personalities. Not to mention watching them dig elaborate burrows with multiple chambers and entrances, and then making new ones the next day, definitely very cool to watch. as for your question about the best time for these guys, i’ve noticed they become active as soon as the temperatures rise to around 45°F or more at night. so early spring, and then they are active all summer until the temps go back below that.
That's awesome, congrats! Do you plan to part with any of the offspring?

How often do they re-dig burrows? By active during the warmer months do you mean they leave their burrow, or active as in they'll sit st the front of the burrow with their claws out?

This question is not meant to be sarcastic but an honest one. If the scorpion is primarily a pet hole, where do you derive the enjoyment from in owning one, or any species that do this? Is it the joy of saying you have a particular species, or the glimpses you do catch of them?

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
That's awesome, congrats! Do you plan to part with any of the offspring?

How often do they re-dig burrows? By active during the warmer months do you mean they leave their burrow, or active as in they'll sit st the front of the burrow with their claws out?

This question is not meant to be sarcastic but an honest one. If the scorpion is primarily a pet hole, where do you derive the enjoyment from in owning one, or any species that do this? Is it the joy of saying you have a particular species, or the glimpses you do catch of them?
I wouldn’t mind parting with a few scorplings at all haha. all of the ones i’ve had, have rebuilt their burrows about every week or two, a few of mine have even reconstructed them nightly though!

Also, to answer your question, the “active” part meant more like the time of year people would be finding them / selling them. Haven’t seen too many captive bred ones in the hobby so i’d assume almost all are wild caught, so if you’re looking to buy one of these summer would be your best bet. Buuuut, yes, by active i also meant sitting at the mouth of their burrow with only their claws visible. sometimes they’ll chase their prey a few inches out of their burrow but any farther they will just run back in.

As for why people would wanna keep a “pet hole” there could be a few reasons varying on person to person. For me, i just find their behaviors fascinating to watch. every little movement they do, from how they eat to how construct their burrow, etc. also i guess there could be a little bit of that joy of saying you have a certain species, since Anuroctonus are pretty hard to find in the hobby, of course i feel everyone has a small case of that though, but if that’s the ONLY reason someone’s in the hobby i think they should probably rethink things haha!

but like i said before it’s more of a fascination thing with different species, even if they aren’t seen very much. luckily a lot of my Anuroctonus have built their burrows along the walls of their enclosure so i can even watch them while they’re hidden.

ilikescorpions

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
All types of parabuthus villosus are very active. They are out during the day.
Mine will chase there prey around the enclosure until they catch it. Actually most parabuthus that I have seen will chase prey. They are a very hot species.

jc55

Arachnoknight
One of my favorite scorpions out of all i kept was Babycurus Jacksoni.I liked the color and they were easy to keep and very fiesty when it came to feeding but i have not seen them around in a while.