More Pothos Options

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Things are growing. I'll probably pot up the rest of the cuttings this week so I can finish that project for now lol. The mother plants that I've made so far are really starting to burst with growth. Here's a cebu blue mother plant made from 20 cuttings in March.
20220704_122724.jpg

Heres a mother Marble Queen made from 20 cuttings that was potted up in mid April I believe.
20220704_122816.jpg

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I have a pothos that is at least 44 years old. I say at "at least because my dad bought cuttings home to my mom. He bought them at a yard-sale and they were according to my mom, just a couple sprouts rooted in a Styrofoam cup. She said "He came in all excited and said 'Look what i got for a dime!" My dad died in 1978, so I just count the age from there because I'm not sure how long prior to that it was, but I am sure it was no more than a couple years if that. Three, tops.

Mom kept it going for decades, until ill health began to taker her. She died and I've taken care of it ever since. It got a bit straggly a few years after that due to a bit of apathy, (mainly forgetting to water it frequently enough) but I decided to rally it to it's old glory last year and it has taken right off again.
I cut away a lot of the dead vines and top dressed the soil, but it is in the same hanging basket that my mom eventually potted it up to, now a "hanging basket in name only. I have to keep it in the glass bowl that was originally intended for catching run-through after watering.
It is a variegated, but a lot of that was lost due to not putting it outside in the summers. I expect some marbling to return now that I have decided to nurture the plant.

I guess it might be called a "heritage" plant, or maybe a "legacy" plant. Not sure what the correct term would be. I'm leaning towards "legacy".

Not the best shot as the brighter background caused the plant itself to be a bit underexposed. But I shot it from that angle because i realized that there were two other examples of "legacies" hanging nearby. Achimenes plants, relatives to African violets, though I think probably distantly. They haven't been around quite as long, maybe 30 years or so. They won't bloom for a while, possibly later on this month. The only other plants I have from decades ago are a few roughly thirty-year old cacti. I have several more, but I've only had them for a year, after a resurgence of interest prompted me to build a bigger collection.
But this thread was intended for pothos discussion, so I'll shut up now.
m_IMG_0666crop.JPG

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Mom kept it going for decades,
My mother had a similar one I nicknamed Audrey. Sitting in the afternoon sun it overgrew things so she moved it away from the window. It sent out tendrils? towards the window, crawling along the floor. After a couple of years it got parked at the other end of the room from the window and my brother and I helped draping the overgrowth towards the sunlight decoratively along the wall the entire length of the room. Slow but determined..
Interesting Aracaea trivia. Just about any two members of the family can cross pollinate, even different genera.

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20220809_124535.jpg
All potted up now. It's been a bit over a year since I started out with single cuttings, but I now have a nice mother plant for almost every cultivar I originally received (N'joy never took off and reverted back to a normal phenotype).

20220809_204614.jpg
Bonus picture of the four golden pothos plants, as they are currently, from the very first post on this thread. All of this plus some, from just the 5 original nodes in a bioactive enclosure.

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Recently upgraded my 'horticulture facilities' lol. Went from a roughly 26" x 19" x 72" greenhouse to a 56" x 29" x 77" model.
20221012_093443.jpg

Couple of growth updates
20221012_092750.jpg
S. pictus 'Exotica' starting to explode with growth in the new greenhouse.

20221012_092756.jpg S. treubii 'Moonlight' showing some vigorous new growth in the greenhouse as well. I'm probably going to keep these two slower growing species in the greenhouse for the winter and see if I can speed their growth up a bit in that controlled environment.

20221012_092812.jpg
Here's Jessenia absolutely loving the dappled light from this south facing window.

20221012_092839.jpg
Here's the Cebu Blue, growing in a tangled mess. The Neon to the right and the S. pictus 'Silver Satin' to the left are the original plants in the first post of this thread. Those two plants have vines over 12' long. In fact, you can see the Silver Satin's vines growing along the floor in front of the new greenhouse above. I have big plans for those two plants in the future ;)

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Your dedication is insane :)

Here are my additions from 2022, slow but beautiful, just in case you ever get into Pilodendrons :)

P. mayoi
IMG_20221002_003657.jpg
P. pedatum
IMG_20220928_221236.jpg
P. elegans
IMG_20220928_220951.jpg
P. squamiferum
IMG_20220928_221228.jpg
Monstera dubia
16655888574173516409644987151577.jpg

some of them really do not like the dryness of a regular home-environment and i do have to help them from time to time so the leaves don't get stuck and damaged as they emerge

i can't wait to see them take off next year when they no longer have to root out and acclimate

i am thinking of getting a P. 'burle-marx' next since it is a prolific climber and i have seen some plants that branch at almost every node, which is just fascinating, P. scandens sometimes do it too.

Anyway, great stuff, i love seeing how you do things.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Your dedication is insane :)

Here are my additions from 2022, slow but beautiful, just in case you ever get into Pilodendrons :)

P. mayoi
View attachment 430557
P. pedatum
View attachment 430558
P. elegans
View attachment 430559
P. squamiferum
View attachment 430560
Monstera dubia
View attachment 430561

some of them really do not like the dryness of a regular home-environment and i do have to help them from time to time so the leaves don't get stuck and damaged as they emerge

i can't wait to see them take off next year when they no longer have to root out and acclimate

i am thinking of getting a P. 'burle-marx' next since it is a prolific climber and i have seen some plants that branch at almost every node, which is just fascinating, P. scandens sometimes do it too.

Anyway, great stuff, i love seeing how you do things.
Lol thanks. I wouldn't say my dedication is insane, more like my patience allows me to plan for long term projects lol.

With the new greenhouse setup, I'm looking into quite a few new plants. The majority of them will probably be Nepenthes sp or hybrids and myrmecophytes, but Philodendron ssp are on the short list (a few of yours have caught my eye). However, this thread is about the Pothos options I'm exploring and growing (I'll probably make another thread for the other plants in the greenhouse ;)) and this greenhouse will definently be used to mass produce those Pothos plants. I'm looking at using the 12' of growth of the Neon and Silver Satin along with a lot of the golden pothos growth to make A LOT of cuttings this winter. I'll use those cuttings to fill in 4-6 vertical wall 7 pocket planters (search 'Hanging Planters Meiwo New Upgraded 7 Pockets Large Vertical Garden Wall Planter Grow Bags for Indoor Outdoor Macrame Plant Hanger Wall Hanging Garden Yard Balcony Rail Fence Wall Home Decor' on Amazon to see what I'm talking about) and make a mixed Pothos display wall. I'll probably leave some spaces in it as well so I can fill in some of the other cultivars in the future.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Just what will you do with all those Pothos, you could cover an entire room on all 4 sides with the ones you already have :rofl:

Looking forward to it.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Moved all the pothos into the greenhouse for the winter. They don't really need this, but I'm going to try and get as much growth as I can out of them for next year's project (it's a big one lol).
20221201_120104.jpg
20221201_115802.jpg
20221201_115823.jpg

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Moved all the pothos into the greenhouse for the winter. They don't really need this, but I'm going to try and get as much growth as I can out of them for next year's project (it's a big one lol).
View attachment 433704
View attachment 433703
View attachment 433702
I hate that this is your thread, because first it was a renewed interest in the breeding of Asian theraphosids and now I want to get into plants. Both of which I blame you for xD

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I hate that this is your thread, because first it was a renewed interest in the breeding of Asian theraphosids and now I want to get into plants. Both of which I blame you for xD
Hey, at least plants are easy lol. IMO, you should as it's really a win-win scenario. If you can successfully grow them, you can enjoy them in a room and harvest leaf litter. If you fail, well you still get the leaf litter lol.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
Recently upgraded my 'horticulture facilities' lol. Went from a roughly 26" x 19" x 72" greenhouse to a 56" x 29" x 77" model.
View attachment 430553

Couple of growth updates
View attachment 430549
S. pictus 'Exotica' starting to explode with growth in the new greenhouse.

View attachment 430550 S. treubii 'Moonlight' showing some vigorous new growth in the greenhouse as well. I'm probably going to keep these two slower growing species in the greenhouse for the winter and see if I can speed their growth up a bit in that controlled environment.

View attachment 430551
Here's Jessenia absolutely loving the dappled light from this south facing window.

View attachment 430552
Here's the Cebu Blue, growing in a tangled mess. The Neon to the right and the S. pictus 'Silver Satin' to the left are the original plants in the first post of this thread. Those two plants have vines over 12' long. In fact, you can see the Silver Satin's vines growing along the floor in front of the new greenhouse above. I have big plans for those two plants in the future ;)
Hold the phone. Let me find out you play MtG…..

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Hold the phone. Let me find out you play MtG…..
I have a Deathrender-Thopter Foundry deck that can win in 5 turns no matter the number of opponents and an Eldrazi deck that can put OG Emrakul, Ulamog, or Kozilek out on turn 4, among many others ;) .

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
I have a Deathrender-Thopter Foundry deck that can win in 5 turns no matter the number of opponents and an Eldrazi deck that can put OG Emrakul, Ulamog, or Kozilek out on turn 4, among many others ;) .
PM’d lmao

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
So @l4nsky the time has come. I admit i made a mistake last year when i cut my Epipremnum aureum plants and planted the cuttings right back into the pot.

I really loved the dense if slightly smaller foliage in summer but come winter i had a problem, THRIPS.

The plants were starting to compete for light, growing over and under each other , restrickting airflow and in general weakened which was the root cause of the infestation in my opinion, as none of my other plants seem to be affected so far, and believe me i checked them all.

So i cut them up, and in the process removed most of the leaves and pests.

And now i stand in front of this problem:
20230224_004131.jpg
E. aureum & E. aureum 'N'Joy'
20230224_004137.jpg
3-5 cuttings per cup,
~3 nodes each on avarage,
and thats just part of the ones i did already, there are still more to go ...

what do i do now? o_O there are too many

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
So @l4nsky the time has come. I admit i made a mistake last year when i cut my Epipremnum aureum plants and planted the cuttings right back into the pot.

I really loved the dense if slightly smaller foliage in summer but come winter i had a problem, THRIPS.

The plants were starting to compete for light, growing over and under each other , restrickting airflow and in general weakened which was the root cause of the infestation in my opinion, as none of my other plants seem to be affected so far, and believe me i checked them all.

So i cut them up, and in the process removed most of the leaves and pests.

And now i stand in front of this problem:
View attachment 439946
E. aureum & E. aureum 'N'Joy'
View attachment 439947
3-5 cuttings per cup,
~3 nodes each on avarage,
and thats just part of the ones i did already, there are still more to go ...

what do i do now? o_O there are too many
Keep going o_O lol. Eventually it becomes exponential lol. Want to see one of my next cutting propogation projects?

20230225_211624.jpg

Thats two of the four golden pothos plants in the very first post on this thread. There's obviously a lot of growth to trim. Especially when you realize....
20230225_211639.jpg
... those plants are actually hanging from the ceiling :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:.

I'm actually going to try and make two more 6' hanging baskets from the cuttings this time instead of 100's of smaller cuttings lol.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20230904_112506.jpg
Potting up some cuttings. My botany projects are a bit behind for the year, but oh well.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Just starting with Pothos after my longstanding love affair with Philodendrons, with Rio being my fave Phil. This one started from a cutting.
IMG_9898.jpeg
Have 2 large Jade Pothos in my office that don’t require a lot of sun, which 2 coworkers have cut from to put in their windows, and a third coworker who brought a silver Pothos in.Love your jungle living room. Do they all get enough sun there without supplemental lights?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Just starting with Pothos after my longstanding love affair with Philodendrons, with Rio being my fave Phil. This one started from a cutting.
View attachment 454817
Have 2 large Jade Pothos in my office that don’t require a lot of sun, which 2 coworkers have cut from to put in their windows, and a third coworker who brought a silver Pothos in.Love your jungle living room. Do they all get enough sun there without supplemental lights?
Yes, more than enough. There's a set of sliding glass doors that face south, so it's pretty optimal for them. The main problem I have now is that one of them is severely root bound and has broken into the reservoir at the bottom of the self watering pot. Because of this, it's been overwatered once or twice this summer and has lost a noticeable amount of leaves due to yellowing. I'll have to fix that soon when I turn that ~15' of growth into three 5' pots.
20230809_122145.jpg