More Pothos Options

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Hahaha, as always you shoot for the stars rather than aim for anything less.

I just cut up a few vines myself but instead of the neat and orderly growth tent, i stuck about 15-20 pieces with 3 nodes each into a single small plastic pot with dirt :rofl:
Hey, that works too lol. Pothos is basically a tropical weed IMO. The growth is unbelievable really. The very first picture in this thread is of four 10" pots of golden pothos. Those four plants all came from the trimmings from the original 5 nodes I planted in my P. regalis enclosure.

20220527_173325.jpg
This is the same four plants in the 10" pots now. I've also harvested atleast half a dozen ziplock gallon bags stuffed full of leaf litter by trimming the plants and drying the leaves.

Last edited:

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Hey, that works too lol. Pothos is basically a tropical weed IMO. The growth is unbelievable really. The very first picture in this thread is of four 10" pots of golden pothos. Those four plants all came from the trimmings from the original 5 nodes I planted in my P. regalis enclosure.

View attachment 419568
This is the same four plants in the 10" pots now.
My pothos has only one good surviving leaf in its terrarium lol. I think its actually a psuedo-pothos, i dont think its truly a pothos.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Yea, they really are.

Sadly they tend to loose their leaves much quicker than some of the other varieties, which is a shame. Those hanging baskets look like you just brought them home from a garden centre, just perfect.

If you don't have one already you have to try growing the Epipremnum aureum N'Joy , leftmost in the picture, they love the shade even more and keep their leaves a little longer in my experience. I really planted them in the wrong spot xd.
IMG_20220521_171639.jpg
Once all the cuttings i added back into the pot start sprouting as well, it will be glorous.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Lol N'joy has proven to be a bit too finicky for me, probably due to pH.
20220527_212229.jpg
It actually reverted back to normal pothos. I'll probably trim off the new growth, repot, and try to see if the original node will put off actual N'joy phenotypical growth in a different substrate. Thing is though, I'm doing these pothos varieties mostly for terrarium plants and if it can't grow well in my tarantula substrate plus some perlite, then I'm not going to invest a lot of time into it.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
what?????
you must be the unluckiest person alive.
honestly its just as indestructible as the normal one, perhaps try with more than one node next time?

Do you only have that one tiny cutting?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Don’t worry I’ll get you Njoy that is rooted! I’ll take some cuttings on Monday and start rooting them

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@l4nsky Cultivation note for Epipremnum aureum ‘Njoy’ is they really need brighter light than the other E. aureum in my house. So when I send you them make sure they get the most light possible.

my new mostly pure white cultivar I’ve been working on is rooting right now. Staying stable so far!

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Hahaha, maybe i messed up then, the leaves i had directly in front of my east facing window, grew much smaller than the ones further back and in the shade and the ones further down the same vine past the window frame got bigger again.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hahaha, maybe i messed up then, the leaves i had directly in front of my east facing window, grew much smaller than the ones further back and in the shade and the ones further down the same vine past the window frame got bigger again.
Yes thats normal in the locations depending on how much light they get, they get bigger naturally to absorb more light when light is lower

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I just noticed the E. aureum N'Joy is not only sprouting new headers but is branching at almost all nodes close to the base of the vines i left a little longer.
IMG-20220528-WA0007.jpeg
Truly an awesome plant!

Really hoping the Philodendron elegans and P. mayoi will take off too this year.
IMG-20220522-WA0003.jpeg IMG_20220525_114639.jpg

These won't be for my spiders but hey if i can get them to sport their mature leaves a few years from now i will be happy :).

As you might have guessed i am a sucker for leaves with fenestrations, but i usually prefer the wild forms over variegated ones. The N'Joy has grown on me and is one of the few exceptions.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I decided to speed up the process a bit and started the cuttings for the remaining 7 cultivars/species all at once. I want to get the mother plants established and outside as soon as possible.
20220601_170041.jpg 20220601_170053.jpg
20220601_170104.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Congrats on pulling the trigger and getting to all of them Looks fun!

By the way for next time you’ll have faster root growth doing that scale if you use multiple nodes with stem included, I shoot for 4-5 nodes when doing these types of cutting faster rates and better root development. Less cuttings cut usually better rates.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
See the few times I've done multi-node cuttings resulted in less growth points, atleast IME. All the nodes would put down roots, but not all would put off new growth until I cut the stems linking them together.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Yea. :rofl:

I am not sure if overall growth (when having more plants/schoots) will eventually overtake the faster and more robust growth of multy-node cuttings but they are certainly more likely to fail rooting if conditions are not right.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
See the few times I've done multi-node cuttings resulted in less growth points, atleast IME. All the nodes would put down roots, but not all would put off new growth until I cut the stems linking them together.
Interesting, I personally do not have that problem, I also have an affinity for rooting directly in soil as well so I do not know if propagation methods lead to this difference between us. I typically root everything in soil and not much in water so theres that

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Yea. :rofl:

I am not sure if overall growth (when having more plants/schoots) will eventually overtake the faster and more robust growth of multy-node cuttings but they are certainly more likely to fail rooting if conditions are not right.
Well, I'm not 100% sure but I bet you can tell which way I'm leaning lol. Conditions are pretty dialed in as well. The greenhouse is humidity controlled and the LED lights don't put off a lot of heat. It stays 80-82°F and 65%+ RH with 12hr on/off lighting and a little bit of afternoon sun. At this point, it's turned hundreds of one node cuttings to rooted plants so I think we'll be fine there.

Interesting, I personally do not have that problem, I also have an affinity for rooting directly in soil as well so I do not know if propagation methods lead to this difference between us. I typically root everything in soil and not much in water so theres that
I guess I'll have to revisit the subject in the future then. I haven't entirely ruled out operator error either lol. I think the vigor might be tied more towards genetics as well. When I trim back any of these pothos, what usually happens is the last node of the still rooted vine will put out a new growth point and the trailing vine will have a bit of a kink in it. When I trimmed the Neon to make the clones, every node on that still rooted vine put out new growth.

A little too late to try and experiment now lol ;)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Well, I'm not 100% sure but I bet you can tell which way I'm leaning lol. Conditions are pretty dialed in as well. The greenhouse is humidity controlled and the LED lights don't put off a lot of heat. It stays 80-82°F and 65%+ RH with 12hr on/off lighting and a little bit of afternoon sun. At this point, it's turned hundreds of one node cuttings to rooted plants so I think we'll be fine there.

I guess I'll have to revisit the subject in the future then. I haven't entirely ruled out operator error either lol. I think the vigor might be tied more towards genetics as well. When I trim back any of these pothos, what usually happens is the last node of the still rooted vine will put out a new growth point and the trailing vine will have a bit of a kink in it. When I trimmed the Neon to make the clones, every node on that still rooted vine put out new growth.

A little too late to try and experiment now lol ;)
I mean you’re having success so that’s not a problem the way you’re doing it!! Only wanted to offer a tip of the way I learned and have good results with.

like here for an example I’m propagating right now and this is the way I do it, these could be rooted in water as well but I get a better results this way. One of these Pellionia pulchra is for you and as well as the Peperomia orba. I take about 5 nodes off on each cutting- 3 above, two below, and have about 8-10 cuttings in one pot so that it establishes together faster utilizing moisture at a better rate.

BF42D7C5-BD37-4304-A0EE-48B4E5687CF0.jpeg BE3CD90C-7513-48C6-A346-0540151C643C.jpeg

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Yea, as i said, if conditions are "NOT RIGHT", you most certainly do not have that problem. i don't shoot for perfection or maximum yield, rather i do things in a way that make the least amount of work for me while giving me peace of mind.

I also prefer to directly root in dirt, it saves me the second acclimation period, when transferring from water to soil. Looks nice.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
For me it comes down to space equation needing to maximize time and space over a shorter period of time