More "challenging" New World T's for more experienced beginners?

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
Would something more comparable to a C.cyaneopubescens or an A.geniculata do? Or something more skittish like a P.irminia or a T.vagens? Any info would help. Or some more less-known species not that known in the hobby. Like the T.seledonia. But i don't wanna pay 400-500 dollars for a tiny dwarf tarantula even if it grows to about 2 inches.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Instead of thinking more challenging or less challenging, treat all tarantulas as OW tarantulas might be a lot more helpful in a long run. That way you can always be ready when you feed, change water dishes, rehouse, packing, breeding.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I started with an A. purpurea and then a couple months later a C. versicolor. After I had rehoused each of those twice plus 6+ months of basic maintenance and feeding, I got two P. irminia -- a little sling and a sub-adult female (sold as 3", turned out to be more like 4").

The sling, quickly dubbed Spunk by my son, did laps around every container I brought to the party when I rehoused it out of the pet store vial. It also got halfway across my shower (drain sealed of course) to hide under a spare set of tongs.

Gotta admit, when I carried my big girl in from the car and she didn't like it, there was an intimidation factor of that threat pose in real life that you don't quite get from photos. I invested in an extra week of research before I rehoused her out of the pet store bin, and it was the smoothest rehouse I ever did. And they've all gone better since.

She pretty much taught me better respect for the T, and that I needed to be more prepared with a plan when I open the bin. For me, and for the few particular specimens I have, it was a good upgrade. I am still thinking about when I'm going to go back for a T. violaceous.

The GBB, genic, and irminia are all very different spiders. Get the one you want, and treat it with healthy caution and respect. House it properly, with adequate places to hide.

My big girl unhappy with nowhere to hide:
20221028_141248-COLLAGE.jpg

My big girl, happy with her web fortress:
PXL_20230414_060611298.jpg

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Would something more comparable to a C.cyaneopubescens or an A.geniculata do? Or something more skittish like a P.irminia or a T.vagens? Any info would help. Or some more less-known species not that known in the hobby. Like the T.seledonia. But i don't wanna pay 400-500 dollars for a tiny dwarf tarantula even if it grows to about 2 inches.
Honestly gbb's are not that big of a deal. They can move fast but are manageable. Mine is laid back. It's now over 5 inches dls.

A. geniculata is also manageable. All that is important to know is that they think everything that comes near them is food. They do have the potential of reaching 8 inches dls. Mine is still sitting at the 4 inch dls size right now.

Mine is never defensive. Never kicked setae or threat posed me. Any small vibration close to them...oh say...refilling water dish...mine flies at it and bites rapidly at the water because it thinks it's food.

I don't know what you have now to think what would be a next good leap. There's no competition in T keeping though. It's what a keeper is comfortable with. If you have fear at attempting a rehouse with a known fiesty medically significant venom tarantula that could lead to a mistake and an escape or bite or both.

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
Have you considered Pterinopelma sazimai? Or also Davus pentaloris?

Quite pretty, terrestrial, and definitely a bit more skittish and fast than usual Brachys

(by the way some really good takeaways I would highlights from previous comments:
- Ts keeping is not a competition
- Consider all Ts as Old World (or at least as unpredictable T)
- Always be prepared in case things go sideways during rehousing/maintenance)

Enjoy 👍

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Anything in the genus Phormictopus. Large spiders, great feeding response, quick to threat pose or slap.