Monocentropus balfouri

Storm1028

Arachnosquire
Hello, I'm new to the hobby. I had a G. Pulchra male and traded it for a M. Balfouri sling (1"). May I please get the specific details or observations on the care of a M. Balfouri sling please. I understand that it was too quick of a transition from New World to Old World but I have understand the responsibility of keeping a OW for the safety of the spider and me. Here is a picture of the sling. Also, I am new to this forum so there may be mistakes, etc. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Kayis

Arachnopeon
I understand that it was too quick of a transition from New World to Old World
This transition imo is fine. M. balfouri is absolutely an easy OW to keep and will require nothing really besides extra sub to burrow. Absolutely stunning to have once they get bigger and will be out more often than your standard "pet hole/burrower". I have three and kept them on dry sub, once in a long while will overflow the water dish and let it dry out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Storm, you picked the right forum. It's a pretty fast species.

There are TONS of posts about this species. Do yourself and your Ts a favor, go to google and type in your search terms, followed site:arachnoboards.com

You will get faster and MORE results than just asking for info. Then after reading, come back and ask specific questions on the knowledge you learned.

This type of question leads to a lot of good general answers from us, speckled with important observations that you would have to sift through. It's better if you digest that general info on your own, and come back w/pointed questions, otherwise you get 50 variations of pretty much the same thing.

Storm1028

Arachnosquire
Storm, you picked the right forum. It's a pretty fast species.

There are TONS of posts about this species. Do yourself and your Ts a favor, go to google and type in your search terms, followed site:arachnoboards.com

You will get faster and MORE results than just asking for info. Then after reading, come back and ask specific questions on the knowledge you learned.

This type of question leads to a lot of good general answers from us, speckled with important observations that you would have to sift through. It's better if you digest that general info on your own, and come back w/pointed questions, otherwise you get 50 variations of pretty much the same thing.
Thanks for the info, I have done the research for general information of M. Balfouri. I was just curious and wanted to know if anyone have noticed anything interesting with their behavior.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Thanks for the info, I have done the research for general information of M. Balfouri. I was just curious and wanted to know if anyone have noticed anything interesting with their behavior.
Well, they're an OW T, which means they're going to be defensive in some form. This species isn't know for it's vicious defensive temperament though. Most importantly here is they are much quicker and skittish than a G. pulchra! That is the biggest difference you will notice.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They seem to do fine in a communal setup but no one has provided communal living in the wild. So no one knows if they are, or if it's captivity producing aberrant behavior.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Give them plenty of burrowing room and webbing anchor points in the form of BBQ skewers stuck into the substrate. They will both web and burrow.

Keep it mildly humid as slings, but slowly wean them off with size. By the 3" mark, they should be fine with an overflown water dish every other week or so.

Storm1028

Arachnosquire
I have another question, is there a difference in food size and preference when the spiders are kept individually vs. communially? I heard that this sp. are capable of taking larger food items when kept communially and when kept individually, they prefer smaller food items. Is this true?