Mold in Tarantula tank

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
I just got an A. Avic and since my other two tarantulas have a lower humidity setup I decided to add in activated charcoal to the bottom of the tank below the coco fiber. Ideally it should reduce mold in the enclosure by pulling toxins and bacteria from the soil and deodorizing the tank.. I use it in terrariums for this purpose so I figured it work similarly in a tarantula enclosure.

cold blood

Staff member
I just got an A. Avic and since my other two tarantulas have a lower humidity setup
A. avic should be kept dry...they have no humidity requirements, in fact, higher humidity levels are detrimental.
. Ideally it should reduce mold in the enclosure by pulling toxins and bacteria from the soil and deodorizing the tank.. I use it in terrariums for this purpose so I figured it work similarly in a tarantula enclosure.
You are over-thinking things.

----

As for the sterilization of substrates, its not only unnecessary, its counter-productive as sterilized sub is actually more likely to suffer mold problems.

Here's a quip from actual arachnologist, Samuel Marshall (you may know him from such species as, Ceratogryus marshalli):

"You have little reason to sterilize soil because the second the soil is exposed to the air, it begins to get colonized by all the things that you were trying to kill, such as mold spores and mites. Gardeners want their potting soil sterilized to kill weed seeds, this is not a worry for tarantula keepers. However fungi and mites can be a problem. Surprisingly, I have found that I have had fewer problems with pests by using natural soil. This may seem counterintuitive. However, by having a natural array of soil organisms in the tank, they may keep each other in check. If you have freshly sterilized soil, the first things to colonize will take over as they have it all to themselves.

For instance, the worst fungal growth I have ever had has been in cages I lined with sterilized peat moss and [substrate]. In these cages, I had white, wooly looking mats of fungus growing all over the substrate. Other cages that had the same, but unsterilized substrate, had no such fungal growth."

Last edited:

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
A. avic should be kept dry...they have no humidity requirements, in fact, higher humidity levels are detrimental.
From researching their natural habitat I've found that the average humidity is at least 70% or above. Should it be less than that in captivity? I've read a lot of differing opinions when it comes to their humidity.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
From researching their natural habitat I've found that the average humidity is at least 70% or above. Should it be less than that in captivity? I've read a lot of differing opinions when it comes to their humidity.
Myth. There's loads of misinformation online. They can handle humidity, but as long as your ventilation is really good too. Ventilation is the key, stuffy conditions kill them very quickly. Myself and others have had success raising even 1/2" slings on bone dry substrate with a small water dish.

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
Myself and others have had success raising even 1/2" slings on bone dry substrate with a small water dish.
Yeah, I've heard of people doing this, I have decent ventilation. I put a water dish in with it, from what I understand the water dish and good ventilation is most important. From threads on here I've seen people say it doesnt really matter whether there's high humidity or not.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I keep my Avic's substrate dry, and I don't measure humidity.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I'm thinking about adding some springtails to my more moist species if the substrate gets to creepy.

Perhaps my H spinifer will be the first one I use them with to see how effective they are before any of the tarantulas.
When I've added a single isopod (slater) to an adult scorpions enclosure it worked very well, all traces of white mould disappeared and didn't come back, but where I added several to tanks of small communal scorpions I had population explosions and they overran the tanks, I had hoped the young and freshly moulted slaters would be a food source but obviously not.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
It looks like mycelium, it won't hurt, I have it in my C. huahini enclosure, I get mushrooms pop up in my A. geniculata enclosure every now and again.
Correct me if I'm wrong: The only outbreak I have to worry about is the kind that turns the substrate yellow.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Correct me if I'm wrong: The only outbreak I have to worry about is the kind that turns the substrate yellow.
I'd only be worried if the sub ends up absolutely caked in mould although, to be honest, if you're letting it get to that point then you should probably rethink your husbandry/maintenance practices.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
I'd only be worried if the sub ends up absolutely caked in mould although, to be honest, if you're letting it get to that point then you should probably rethink your husbandry/maintenance practices.
The reason I ask is because I saw a post on Reddit about someone worrying about a small spot of mold in an enclosure. I assured that so long as it's a small amount of white mold. I was met will various downvotes and people saying that any amount of mold or fungal spores are dangerous to the T because they can get stuck in the book lungs. I was sure what I was saying was correct but I wanted to cross reference AB.

cold blood

Staff member
The reason I ask is because I saw a post on Reddit about someone worrying about a small spot of mold in an enclosure. I assured that so long as it's a small amount of white mold. I was met will various downvotes and people saying that any amount of mold or fungal spores are dangerous to the T because they can get stuck in the book lungs. I was sure what I was saying was correct but I wanted to cross reference AB.
do not go to reddit for info.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
How do those people think any tarantula ever survives in wild with all those fungi everywhere???
There go those fungi again, terrorizing the tarantulas. I'm gonna go get my ladder and give em a piece of my mind.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic

There are literally millions of types of fungi, most of which may be harmless.

I'd use peat which is more resistant to fungi. Why take the chance? It's worth 30 to 60 minutes of your time to remove the tarantula & clean out the enclosure.

Why take the chance? 95% of the time may be a waste of time, but maybe not.

Err on the side of caution is my opinion.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
There are literally millions of types of fungi, most of which may be harmless.

I'd use peat which is more resistant to fungi. Why take the chance? It's worth 30 to 60 minutes of your time to remove the tarantula & clean out the enclosure.

Why take the chance? 95% of the time may be a waste of time, but maybe not.

Err on the side of caution is my opinion.
Thanks for your input!

If it's completely dry, I would not expect the mold to last for long.

Most of the mold I see grows on the surface of damp substrate, and I just scoop it out and improve ventilation if necessary.

boina is our resident biologist and can probably tell you more than you ever want to know about mold.
Lol muffet

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

How do those people think any tarantula ever survives in wild with all those fungi everywhere???

This!
Funghus spores are everywhere in nature. From my own experience from keeping tarantulas i know that mould and funghus is totally harmless. I often have mould and funghus in the enclosures and never bothered changing substrates and never had a tarantula dying from funghus. This said it is always good to have a enclisure with diffrent microorganisms because if not, the funghus and mite problems would be much worse, and lots of funghus doesnt look good

They may live in enviroments whete the humidety periodicly is 70% or higher, but for juvenile or adult Avics, humidety is not important. Ventilation IS btw. They are aboreals and there are winds and breezes in the trees. So ventilation is very important. They do very bad in a humid stagnant cage
The only time humidety is important is when they lays eggs and for tiny slings. The breedingseason starts when periods with high humidety i assume and this may be the reason that they luve in humid areas, even though humidety is not important for adult spiders

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
This!
Funghus spores are everywhere in nature. From my own experience from keeping tarantulas i know that mould and funghus is totally harmless. I often have mould and funghus in the enclosures and never bothered changing substrates and never had a tarantula dying from funghus. This said it is always good to have a enclisure with diffrent microorganisms because if not, the funghus and mite problems would be much worse, and lots of funghus doesnt look good

They may live in enviroments whete the humidety periodicly is 70% or higher, but for juvenile or adult Avics, humidety is not important. Ventilation IS btw. They are aboreals and there are winds and breezes in the trees. So ventilation is very important. They do very bad in a humid stagnant cage
The only time humidety is important is when they lays eggs and for tiny slings. The breedingseason starts when periods with high humidety i assume and this may be the reason that they luve in humid areas, even though humidety is not important for adult spiders
You forgot to look at the date - 2018 ;)