Mexican Blood Leg

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What is a 7 year old Mexican Blood Leg worth? I think that is B. boehmei right?

There is one locally which is going for 125$ Canadian, I'm considering it but this sounds kind of high in price for what it is; specially since I'm planning on getting a bunch of H. Incie from a user on here.

pic is from the ad.

Attachments

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if that is a blood leg (Aphonopelma bicoloratum) then it's a good deal, if it's a Brachypelma boehmei it's an ok deal IMO

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if that is a blood leg (Aphonopelma bicoloratum) then it's a good deal, if it's a Brachypelma boehmei it's an ok deal IMO
I'll find out, if it's female I'll probably get it any way regardless of genus.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bobusboy, I'd say that's a dang good deal. :)

Does any one know if Aphonopelma bicoloratum and/or Brachypelma boehmei have tibial spurs for MM?

OR am I going to have to try to sex ventrally? I'm going in the next day or so to take a look at it. if its MM, I'm tenative.

Buddy says he got it as a sling at petco 6 years a go, so its either MM or MF by now ( i guess any way)

(Just from comparing photos i think it is Brachypelma boehmei btw. I will really find out in person when I go)

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
boehmi's do, not sure on the other one , for a female $125.oo is a great deal, a MM cost around $100.oo

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
pretty sure all aphonopelma MMs have prominent tibial spurs but any MM should have palpal emboli which are fairly easy to spot as well.

take pics!

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Will do, i'm inclined to buy it one way or the other (if MM, I'm going to try to breed ASAP) I will try to sex ventrally, I've been studying that pretty intensly but i will post photos on here as well.

I'll take pictures I think I'm going to go see it tonight.

I'll post here to see if we can figure out which genera it is via photos. Although the two are so similar we may have difficulty with that.

Last edited:

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have both and can tell you that from close up, they're pretty easy to distinguish:D

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have both and can tell you that from close up, they're pretty easy to distinguish:D
Ok, I'll post here, and PM you when I have the photos. My camera is a POS so I will apologize in advance for the photo's quality.

I think I'm going to go see it tonight so hopefully a late night sit-rep for you all.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
That definetly looks like a B. boehmei. Sounds like a fair deal since you will be able to inspect the T for parasites or injury and possibly tell the gender.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to go over and look at it, I'm planning on going tomorrow but that is subject to how much I get done on my essays today.

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
Bicolouratum MM's don't have the orange coloring loike the girls.
I say that is clearly boehmei.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bicolouratum MM's don't have the orange coloring loike the girls.
I say that is clearly boehmei.

I do not know the sex; I am going over this evening to check it out (with a box+ heat pack + insulation) if it is female I am taking it right away, if male i will be back here for suggestions/comments..

Can some one give me a top 5 differences to look for between

Aphonopelma bicoloratum, and B. Boehemei?

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
attitude will be a good indicator, if it flicks at you it's probably boehmei.

otherwise, boehmei will be a lot fluffier and the carapace shape is pretty different between a brachy and an aphonopelma.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Op, the t in the pic is most definitely a B boehmei. Hope that helps. :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I have read in a caresheet that aphonopelma bicoloratum MMs are all black. They lose all color with the ultimate molt. Im not sure if theres any truth to this. Can anyone confirm this?

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
I have read in a caresheet that aphonopelma bicoloratum MMs are all black. They lose all color with the ultimate molt. Im not sure if theres any truth to this. Can anyone confirm this?
I saw it on the science channel's 'tarantulas and there venomous relations'.
It showed the bicoloratum mating and the male was all blackish.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure it's female from what buddy said about it (ie no sperm web) and I thought it looked more like boehmei than bicolour.

He's not available till Thursday evening, so that is when I'm going to go check it out. If its female I'm buying it no questions asked.

Check back Thursday in the evening for an update.