Methods of Euthanasia

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
No.

Just, no.

Fish feel pain in every single way we do, that's a fact. Boiling is never ever ever an option for killing any vertebrate. Fish can be killed humanely by a severe overdose of an anesthetic, like clove oil. It kills instantly when done correctly.

I don't want to bash on you or anything, but I am completely horrified by all aspects of your Oscar story.

As far as Ts go, I would only ever opt for something instant like squashing with a cinder block or, if I was confident it killed instantly, some kind of chemical.

How is my oscar story horrific? Do you not eat fish? When i fish, i bait a sharp barbed hook that gouges and pierces the mouth gills and stomachs of fish, rip it out of the water and cut its spine with a knife. If you eat fish from stores than add in suffocation. I dispatched my Oscar the fastest most humane way possible. If you want to show me were to get a gallon of clove oil for under 60 bucks and then prove to me that throwing a fish into an intense super toxin is better than instant death by heat than be my guest. There is no better way of killing seafood than hot water unless you have the surgical expertise of severing the brain stem, in which I don't, not on an oscar anyways. Next time you eat a can of tuna, by your ideology your eating a can of torture and cruelty.

---------- Post added 10-05-2012 at 06:39 PM ----------

Wow, I can't identify with any of this at all. Using fireworks, boiling water or a gun, to kill an animal wouldn't be "fun" for me in any fashion.

I know I am getting more sensitive in my old (42) age, but still...
you missed it, the fun isn't in killing, the fun is playing with dangerous things... It is never "fun" to kill anything. It is actually very sad. However blowing things up IS fun. so if you can minimize the sad occasion with something fun it helps the closure. Plus your giving your T the opportunity to experience something most Ts don't get to experience. Like in space cowboys, when Tommy Lee Jones knows he is going to die of Cancer so instead he volunteers to die by steering the missiles and landing on the moon knowing he will never get back.

Lenxx

Arachnopeon
Plus your giving your T the opportunity to experience something most Ts don't get to experience. Like in space cowboys, when Tommy Lee Jones knows he is going to die of Cancer so instead he volunteers to die by steering the missiles and landing on the moon knowing he will never get back.
Are you serious..?
A tarantulla probably wont apreciate the oportunity, im sorry to say...

In my mind, the "refrigerator and then freezer" is still the better way. And i havent read any proof that its not, just people beliving othervise.

poisoned

Arachnodemon
Are you serious..?
A tarantulla probably wont apreciate the oportunity, im sorry to say...

In my mind, the "refrigerator and then freezer" is still the better way. And i havent read any proof that its not, just people beliving othervise.
This argument is just ridiculous. It's like "prove that Flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist"

Refrigerator and then freezer is not very different from directly to freezer method. Before it starts to grow crystals, its whole body will be very refrigerated.

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
This argument is just ridiculous. It's like "prove that Flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist"

Refrigerator and then freezer is not very different from directly to freezer method. Before it starts to grow crystals, its whole body will be very refrigerated.
What the heck are you talking about? your wrong. it is not ridiculous... the spaghetti monster is real. Not only is he real, but that little tomato and meat laden tentacled beast can respawn!

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
I haven't had to put down a tarantula so I don't know what I'd do. I do know that when animals suffer it's best to be fast with it, but I'm no expert and it seems like nobody really knows for sure how Ts respond to pain. I know I'm going to sound like a hippy for saying this but in the end most things that can suffer will suffer when it's time to die to some extent. I value the life of my tarantulas and the crickets I feed them, as dumb as that sounds. I know my spiders will die if they don't eat the crickets, and I do feel bad for the crickets but it's part of life, it's not like I can buy vegan insects. Treat them well and if you have to end a life to stop the pain or just because you don't want the guilt of a drawn out death regardless of pain or no pain just do what you think is the best and fastest method. I know smashing seems savage but if you used something very heavy and dense it would still be faster than the other methods, when things are dead they aren't going to know that they have been smashed to bits. At least we can end sufffering or the like for our ill or dying animal friends, we just slow the process down in ourselves which just makes us suffer more sometimes. Ok, that's my opinion as strange as it might be. : )

arachnofab

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would def. have to vote for Squashing it; its the most humane way for the critter. You don't want to risk feeding it to another critter even if is not venomous, but the hurt alone it could cause a reptile, possibly.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
People sometimes let the male be eaten by the female, during a breeding attempt, hoping to get a higher amount of eggs, and healthier offspring.
What does the male getting eaten by the female have to do with egg-production? Someone please enlighten me, I'm curious...
There are some schools of thought that if the female eats the male it results in bigger, better, more. Of course that would require that the male munching occur after a successful breeding...