Methods of Euthanasia

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
Before anybody flames me, I did do a search of the forums before starting this thread, and the few similar topics I found were either too old or too different from what I'm trying to bring up. I've noticed that the community of arachnid owners seems to have very little knowledge of the subject and has been misinformed regarding many of their options. I'd like to explain how various forms of euthanasia affect the animal and see what others think about it.

Freezing: This seems to be the most common method, especially when we're talking about Ts. I don't understand why this is preferred at all. Arachnids have very complex nervous systems with extremely sensitive receptors throughout their bodies. As they begin to freeze, the ice crystals forming in their blood will stimulate a large portion of these receptors, presumably causing intense pain. At this point, they are unable to move and likely appear dead already, but neural signals are able continue for quite some time after other vital organs begin to fail. As a result, the animal is forced to endure pain without being able to do anything about it. To an observer, it looks like a serene death because motion comes to a stop while the animal is still in a relatively relaxed position.

Refrigeration: This method takes a long time, but would not induce the level of pain that freezing would. Any arachnid from an area that has distinct climactic seasons will have the ability to adjust their metabolism in response to lower than ideal temperatures. Vital organ functions are slowly reduced, and neural relays slow in much the same way they would in a sleeping mammal. It is debatable, but most species would probably experience the most peaceful death by this method. Species from areas which experience relatively consistent temperatures year round, however, will not have this ability and will die in confusion and possibly fear. It's also possible such species would experience pain, as the rate of organ failure would be uneven.

Squashing: If the first impact crushes everything, it can be assumed that this method is relatively humane, however disturbing. Unfortunately, in most cases the first impact leaves too much of the nervous system intact and therefore could possibly be causing pain. This one is definitely debatable, as not much research has been done into the extent of damage necessary to eliminate consciousness in arachnids. Insects, due to their lack of centralization in the nervous system, have the ability to remain conscious even with significant portions of their bodies missing. Arachnids may or may not be comparable.

Ethyl Acetate: Probably the most common liquid poisons used by entomologists and specimen collectors in the field for killing specimens without damaging their research or viewing value. Several drops on the thorax is lethal in two seconds or less. Poisoning can be a traumatic experience, especially so by this method as the order of organ failures is unpredictable. The T might experience pain and/or fear as a result of their reaction to the poison, but the process is quite quick.

Ammonia poisoning using dry compounds: Using a dry compound such as ammonium carbonate to kill Ts would be a rather harsh method. The powder will inevitably be stirred up into the air and will begin to dissolve the T's book lungs long before killing it, causing significant distress. While this method is widely accepted for use on small specimens, its use on something as large as a T would take at least several minutes and therefore should be questioned as to how humane it is.

Ammonia poisoning using liquid compounds: Something like Windex, when placed with the T in an airtight container, would be an effective killing mechanism. However, there is no standard compound used for this method, so there is no way of knowing what level of exposure would be needed to kill the T quickly. The risk of having the T endure a prolonged burning sensation in the lungs is probably not worth the attempt.

Suffocation: For mammals, this is an extremely traumatizing way to die. With arachnids, it may appear peaceful to an observer. No research has been done as to the effects of suffocation on the bodily systems of insects or arachnids. Putting your T into an airtight container could be a good alternative to refrigeration for species which would not do as well in the fridge, but we can't know for sure. It might be a horrible experience for the T.

Microwaving: I have never heard of anybody actually trying this, but I have seen it brought up. It's likely that the T would die before the first second is up. Knowing the nature of microwaves, this would also be a painless experience provided the T dies before its internal organs begin expanding. We can only speculate as to whether the T would die before or after exploding. I believe if the microwave's power was high enough, the spider would die before. But I wouldn't take the risk. If the spider doesn't die immediately, the pain would be excruciating as pressure built up against every single nerve in their body.

If you know of any other methods, do share. As you have probably guessed, the only method I would endorse is refrigeration. Although, personally, I would rather let nature take its course in the off chance that the T would survive against all odds.

Also, please don't debate whether Ts feel pain or fear. Pain and fear, like most emotions, do not stem from the brain. They are phenomenons of the body, to be interpreted by the brain. A T's nervous system is constructed differently from a human's, but they are most definitely equipped to perceive changes in their body such as what pain and fear-causing stimuli would incur. No, they don't think about it the way we do, but they do feel it nonetheless.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Suffocation is a very humorous way of offing a spider unless you create a vacuum and even then I assume it would not be quick.

Certain youtube personalities have tried offing Ts via the "Throwing on the ground method" to varying degrees of success.

I am also a bit skeptical of using the fridge instead of the freezer. While at short periods it is capable of slowing down individuals it seems quite sadistic.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
The freezer is the method I have used in the past. Is it the best possible? Probably not. But it works, leaves me with peace of mind, and its popular. Those are the only reasons I need.

Last edited:

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I've read good things with CO2. Also, squashing would work out better if you actually used your boots to squish it with your first try. Not sure why anybody would try to kill it by throwing it at a hard surface. I would place it on the ground and either drop a big, flat rock on it or use my shoe. It's a messy way to go but it's going to be the quickest.

My vote is on CO2 or squishing.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I find no reason to euthanize a spider unless you feel the "disease" or whatever it is will spread to your other Ts or you can somehow tell it definitely won't survive. As much as I hate to say something that sounds so cruel about these creatures I loved, they're just spiders. We don't euthanize crickets or ants.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Apparently you didn't do enough research because tarantulas don't have blood.

Please explain how fear doesn't come from the brain? Is my foot the fearful culprit? {D

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
People actually try to do it by throwing them on the ground? A good stomp would be much more logical.
I forgot the CO2 method. It's the same as suffocating them, but faster. Definitely much kinder than a simple airtight container.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
People actually try to do it by throwing them on the ground? A good stomp would be much more logical.
I forgot the CO2 method. It's the same as suffocating them, but faster. Definitely much kinder than a simple airtight container.
Good luck trying to suffocate them with an airtight container. They would die from dehydration before suffocation.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
Apparently you didn't do enough research because tarantulas don't have blood.

Please explain how fear doesn't come from the brain? Is my foot the fearful culprit? {D
Tarantulas have interstitial fluid throughout their bodies which most people refer to as blood. When a tarantula bleeds, this is what comes out. When a tarantula freezes, this is what crystalizes.

Fear is our mental interpretation of how our body responds to threatening circumstances. We see a bear coming at us, we sweat, we tremble, our hair stands on end, we might run or we might stand there, but we do very little thinking. Fear is a largely physical phenomenon. A scared spider often either pulls away or curls up, depending on the situation. I'm sure there's other physiological symptoms we haven't discovered within the spider as well.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
the "blood" is hemolymph. Advan is completely right about the dehydration before suffocation and that is why it is laughable.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
Forgive me for calling it blood. All my textbooks call it hemolymph only in parenthesis. Blood is the standard term in my studies. Sorry!

I've never heard of anybody actually attempting suffocation. Most people go for freezing. Is there any data?
Because of how Ts move(and how little moving they actually do), not much oxygen is needed. Does anybody know how much oxygen is used in their cellular processes compared to something we're more familiar with research-wise? Bees, say?

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
My opinion is that you should do more research before you conclude that tarantulas experience pain.

meghanbe

Arachnopeon
My opinion is that you should do more research before you conclude that tarantulas experience pain.
The question of whether invertebrates experience pain is hotly contested. I do not believe anyone can say for certain one way or another.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
The question of whether invertebrates experience pain is hotly contested. I do not believe anyone can say for certain one way or another.
That's why he should do more research before deciding.

Tarac

Arachnolord
The three fastest methods of dispatching a T would be, in order of priority:

1. Smashing
2. Lethal Injection (Ethyl acetate, cyanotic compounds, ammonia, water, anything in high enough volume)
3. Freezing, rapidly is preferred (larger the T the longer it will take and also will vary by species- not as fast as you might think it is)

I don't really consider the other methods humane personally, they are simply not fast enough. I would personally only freeze really small specimens and generally prefer injection. Smashing is very fast but then you don't have a specimen left over- selfish reason to not use the fastest method, but what can I say?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If one has access, inhalant anesthetics such as Halothane, Isofluorane, Sevofluorane, etc serve the purpose, too. Just leave the T in the induction chamber over long. Only problem with using anesthetics is determining how long is 'long enough'. After apparent demise, the patient/victim needs to be monitored for recurring signs of life.

Even though I have access to a wide range of anesthetics, both inhalant and injectable, I still choose the freezing method. All tarantulas in their wild states are subject to fluctuations in temperature, granted, some more so than others. If the animal is refrigerated first, then placed in the freezer, that, IMO is the least stressful to both animal and handler and takes any guesswork out of it.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
If the animal is refrigerated first, then placed in the freezer, that, IMO is the least stressful to both animal and handler and takes any guesswork out of it.
I like that idea. Reduce the spider's sensitivity significantly by refrigeration before killing it faster in the freezer. No monetary investment, either. Very good!

Just a note to those complaining about whether spiders feel pain: You do realize that a discussion of euthanasia is null without the assumption that they do? I can't imagine another reason for euthanasia other than to end suffering. Unless, of course, you raise Ts for the purpose of making a profit, in which case you might consider killing a "defective" T to free up space for ones with greater breeding potential...

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are plenty of reasons to end ones suffering.Ruptured abdomen,nematodes and other parasites,and the list goes on.They may NOT be "suffering" but when the outcome is THAT grim what is the point of letting them CLING to life?I have NEVER heard of anyone killing one for the reasons you just mentioned.I have to ask...Are you an active hobbyist?

Tarac

Arachnolord
There are plenty of reasons to end ones suffering.Ruptured abdomen,nematodes and other parasites,and the list goes on.They may NOT be "suffering" but when the outcome is THAT grim what is the point of letting them CLING to life?I have NEVER heard of anyone killing one for the reasons you just mentioned.I have to ask...Are you an active hobbyist?
Goes with the "culling" of slings discussion in the "inbreeding" threads, although not exactly for freeing up space but kind of. I get what you mean though- "oh, I don't need two Rosie's anymore, this one lost a leg in molt anyway so it's defective and I need that cage... *smash*"

Can't imagine doing it myself.

Could also be done to save expense of dealing with it (nursing, ICU, time, feeders, etc.) and to get it out of your collection to prevent spreading something like the assorted pathogens you mentioned.

I would guess that most of us only euthanize for the reason you mentioned though- why let it cling to life when there is no hope? Even though it may not experience conventional pain, it does at least seem to be more cruel to watch a T die slowly of some terrible death than to dispatch of it in a timely manner. Any animal for that matter.