Megaphobema Mesomelas In Hobby Still?

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for chiming in, Austin. I actually vaguely mentioned you in one of my previous comments, or maybe it was the female's death. I don't know, but I mentioned it... Just goes to show that they're a species which is extremely hard to keep in captivity. Period.
Yeah, it was a huge shock to both of us. When I had her, she burrowed in higher temps. When he got her, and she was settled in for a few weeks, she never burrowed once. He would even put ice in her enclosure on the opposite side, as well as ice on top of her lid, under a towel. She loved it, it seemed.

Just sad losing such a beautiful specimen, after having her since she was so tiny.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
When I had her, she burrowed in higher temps. When he got her, and she was settled in for a few weeks, she never burrowed once.
I'm still convinced that Megaphobema genus in general, especially 0.1 specimen, doesn't like at all to be re-housed, moved etc once they, as adults, made their burrow.

Definitely way more than a Pelinobius muticus, genus Haplopelma, genus Chilobrachys etc definitely. IMO seems they really hate to lose their home and it's very hard after for them to settle down and make a new one.
Combined with the particular temperature they need and humidity, of course.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
They burrow to escape the heat, along with many other Ts. Your friend kept her in the 40-50s range and she was cool enough, hence why she didn't burrow. No tarantula likes to be rehoused, and there is no need if you keep its enclosure clean :p

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No tarantula likes to be rehoused, and there is no need if you keep its enclosure clean :p
Yes, of course no T's like to be re-housed, but while majority of T's ('OBT's' 'GBB' and such) settle in no time almost (at least if the set up is correct), those not. I said re-house but moving in general is more correct... meaning (example) to catch cup her and ship/sold to another enthusiast. Those are IMO very delicate when it comes to that.

I don't have sort of scientific or else proof for back up that, i know, but again, 0.1 specimen HATE to been taken away from their burrow. I was forced to re-house mine, due to previous owner poor care, and took almost two months for settle.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Mine settled in for about 2 or 3 days when I got it. Wasn't a MF, though. I'll have to see how long they take when I get my breeding group in spring :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Mine settled in for about 2 or 3 days when I got it. Wasn't a MF, though. I'll have to see how long they take when I get my breeding group in spring :)
Just like more or less my other 0.1 burrowers, from 'Baboons' to 'Haplos' i had before. She's not (AF however).

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
It's actually quite sad that such a beautiful specie is so difficult to keep and breed. *sigh* It will definitely not survive in the climate we live in, it gets extremely hot here during summer time. *removes from wishlist*

I'd probably be able to get a few psalmos or poecies for the price of 1 M. mesomelas. Nah, poecies and psalmos it is then :p

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, of course no T's like to be re-housed, but while majority of T's ('OBT's' 'GBB' and such) settle in no time almost (at least if the set up is correct), those not. I said re-house but moving in general is more correct... meaning (example) to catch cup her and ship/sold to another enthusiast. Those are IMO very delicate when it comes to that.

I don't have sort of scientific or else proof for back up that, i know, but again, 0.1 specimen HATE to been taken away from their burrow. I was forced to re-house mine, due to previous owner poor care, and took almost two months for settle.
I agree that shipping/re housing can stress the animal. Keep in mind however that I don't think that is why she died.
He had her for almost a year, molted, silked, ate. She was plenty settled in.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
This has been an informative read. With slings of these now available again in the US, I'm certainly not the only person who has bought/will buy them.

I'm keeping my slings in a downstairs bathroom where I can shut the heater vent and keep that room cooler than the rest of the house. There's a temp gauge that measures both ambient temp and humidity. They're in well-ventilated enclosures with plenty of substrate, and I'll put the humidifier in the bathroom if needed too. Being in the PacNW, high temps and/or low humidity aren't too much of an issue for us, even in summer. I was talking to sdsnybny yesterday who suggested using an aquarium chiller to keep the slings cool if needed (so the same as cold blood's "how to heat an enclosure" set up, just with a chiller instead of a heater).

They certainly were an expensive investment, and if I never get a sac from them, that's okay. So long as I can ensure they are healthy, I'll be satisfied. And if they have strict care requirements, well the hobby doesn't need to be flooded with them anyway. Leave them to the experienced keepers who will ensure care requirements are met.

I'd like to see species like this come with a disclaimer about care requirements, but I suppose dealers assume that at $150 each, you'll do your research.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
What disclaimer? The people who sell them have no idea how to care for them as well. I don't know what everyone is trying to prove that the people from past years haven't. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
damn your lucky!
Yes :) That man bought three Theraphosidae in one of the arachnids fair here in Italy two years ago from an Italian breeder.
He bought a 0.1 Megaphobema robustum, a 0.1 Chilobrachys fimbriatus, and 0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata.
I ended up with those three T's after few months.

Obviously, since he wasn't exactly into Theraphosidae but a "cool things!" (sad) buyer, he knew nothing about and the considered (and payed for, lol) 0.1 Chilobrachys fimbriatus was a 1.0 so when i noticed that i traded him for a 0.1 juvenile Ceratogyrus darlingi.

Another that i rescued was a 0.1 Grammostola pulchripes. And this only in the last two years.

I've always end up with some T's for free after 2003. That (at least here) is one of the few pro of a ban, among other issues, like Italian Ladies :kiss: screaming like "Banshees" since they doesn't want to live in the same house with 8 legged buggers, they blackmail their so with the "legs closed!" scenario.
The best part is that, when i know those situations, those Ladies support me with statements like: "He's here for help us, give the spiders to him!" lol

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
Yes :) That man bought three Theraphosidae in one of the arachnids fair here in Italy two years ago from an Italian breeder.
He bought a 0.1 Megaphobema robustum, a 0.1 Chilobrachys fimbriatus, and 0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata.
I ended up with those three T's after few months.

Obviously, since he wasn't exactly into Theraphosidae but a "cool things!" (sad) buyer, he knew nothing about and the considered (and payed for, lol) 0.1 Chilobrachys fimbriatus was a 1.0 so when i noticed that i traded him for a 0.1 juvenile Ceratogyrus darlingi.

Another that i rescued was a 0.1 Grammostola pulchripes. And this only in the last two years.

I've always end up with some T's for free after 2003. That (at least here) is one of the few pro of a ban, among other issues, like Italian Ladies :kiss: screaming like "Banshees" since they doesn't want to live in the same house with 8 legged buggers, they blackmail their so with the "legs closed!" scenario.
The best part is that, when i know those situations, those Ladies support me with statements like: "He's here for help us, give the spiders to him!" lol
Ha hahaa that's great! Hell of a find! That's crazy with the ban they have there. Good story thanks for sharing you spider saving baron!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ha hahaa that's great! Hell of a find! That's crazy with the ban they have there. Good story thanks for sharing you spider saving baron!
Thanks man. It's hard to explain Italy to non Italians, nor people who lived enough here, but i will try. No one banned arachnids prior (lol) not even that evil, those evildoers, cancer of the world etc etc add etc of the Blackshirts Revolution. Notably, during that period, people owned even venomous snakes and took those to motherland Italia from Eastern Africa Italian colonies :) My aunt, Rosa (R.I.P), was completely scared of snakes because when she was in Addis Abeba and Mogadiscio for work, Italian soldiers caught a lot of those, for fun.

After all, this is the land of Giacomo Doria (Genova/Genoa) where Tamerlan Thorell went for study spiders, back then.

Then, all of a sudden... those foreign superpowers slaves, globalists, corrupted, Mafia connected, liberal capitalists of Silvio Berlu$coni government (Best Italian Bush friend, lol, wars for oil included) with the help of that nasty annoying bunch of the weird, rich, 'cultural' left banned ALL arachnids for crap reasons, in no time. In one day, lol. One.... day.

You can drive here with no driving license now, fine (lol) but it's hard to own a "Grammo". Well, my opinion? I don't give a damn.
;-)

Last edited:

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
There's some slings available in the UK, priced at £69 ($100). I would definitely like to own one in the future once I'm more experienced, if they're still being sold. :)

raggamuffin415

Arachnosquire
I did see that Paul has em. Would hate to shell that kinda dough out to have it not survive though. If it's as picky as everyone says, I just don't have the right setup/time/experience.
Thanks though!!