Megaphobema Mesomelas In Hobby Still?

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Keep them dry for one day and you'll see how quickly that this species will parish. Like I stated before temperature has not been an issue for me. But it has been an issue for others. Maybe just maybe I have or maybe others have had better success of this species do to where you live, for example: I live above sea level higher elevation. Could this be a big factor?
Id imagine it could be? Depends on where you live and all. Im not a big climatologist or a genius geography student so I dont know how temps change with elevation. I just know higher=colder. Everyone will keep their spiders a bit differently than the others :)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm so excited by this thread. My hubby recently out up a wtb in the classified for this species and I told him good luck finding one lol nice to know they are in fact in the hobby. I guess just maybe not in the states?

We went to Costa Rica on our honeymoon several years ago (before the hubby caught an interest in ts) and I spent once entire day out of the few we were there looking for tarantulas. I found a Megaphobema of some sort hiding in btw the bricks of a small stone wall after endless searching, but couldn't ID it properly BC it had made a burrow that was wedged in there pretty good btw the bricks, but I did manage to get a few (some blurry) photos of part of a leg!! Lol I'm pretty proud of that photo, even tho it's crap, haha if I can some how transfer it to my phone I'll post it ...fun times!

Does anyone know a US breeder/dealer that sells them perchance?

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Omg Im such a fool... loooool my husband wrote this post! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]I didn't even look at who the op was! Haha

cold blood

Staff member
Story time:

Today on my way home from work I stopped at my LPS, the owner is a cool guy that I consider a friend. I stopped to get dog food, crickets and waxworms, and also to check out the selection of ts he had. His good friend is one of the guys who ran the Theraposa breeding program here in Milwaukee, devoted guys who had good reputations in the hobby, and while the breeding project is now defunct, he still has many that he kept, mostly because of rarity or just his favorites.

I went to see that he still had the 2 AF B. klassi and the AF N. tripepii, after Christmas I plan on buying one of the 3 (they're priced well below what would be considered "normal" pricing), so I wanted to make sure they were still there. I inquire and the owner tells me that he has this guys private stock, his keepers, that he's holding for the guy, and excitedly asks if I want to go to the basement to see them. "Absolutely!", I reply. We go down and see an AF Xenesthis species (stunning, I mean freakishly stunning!!!), a pumpkin patch and its many tiny offspring, an AF pulchra, an AF T. stirmi, a sub-adult female M. robustum, and a couple others when he says, "Hey do you know what this one is? Is it a redknee?"

He lifts the log and I see a GORGEOUS 5" female M. mesomelas...I was aghast, having to scrape my jaw off the floor and wipe the drool from my face and immediately told him not only what it was, but how incredibly rare the specimen is.

So there is at least one here in the states still....I believe this one will be shipped to Florida in due time, where its owner now lives.....but dang, a simple trip to the pet store turned out to be a much cooler than expected experience.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That sounds like my kind of place ,be nice if there where some good LPS in my area but there just not enough people for them to flourish

raggamuffin415

Arachnosquire
Cool story cold blood! Def don't have those kind of LPS in my area either... glad to see this thread has taken off, though no one seems to be able to point me in the direction of one for sale :(

Like I said, when in Costa Rica, we saw plenty postcards and photos of the species, so figured it had to be somewhat accessible to the hobby! Once I started researching, realized how I was wrong.

Also, too bad that people started arguing about care taking. Figured I'd provide some info and photos to support the thread though.

So here goes some pic heavy content...

---------- Post added 12-09-2015 at 07:53 PM ----------

As far as I know, species is found mostly in the cloud forests of Monte Verde in North/Central Costa Rica. The area was noticeably more humid and cooler than lower elevation parts of the country. Very foggy/misty and wet, with not much direct sunshine I remember.

You can see the fog rolling through the valley, and the active Arenal Volcano in the second shot with my silly wife.

---------- Post added 12-09-2015 at 08:00 PM ----------

There were a series of hanging bridges along the hiking trails, with one aptly named!

Along the trails we saw some cool stuff, including these shots (as well as bats, sloths, monkeys, macaws) but no tarantulas!

---------- Post added 12-09-2015 at 08:10 PM ----------

Notice the wetness in the pics though too... I would say it supports the argument that they need extra moisture in captivity.

When we got back to the community center, we asked a local guide who was hanging out about any spider spottings. He immediately directed us to a stone wall nearby, where he said a tarantula had been spotted days earlier. We peaked in, and got our only shots of a Megaphobema Mesomelas (we believe) in the wild (or any tarantula for that matter while on the trip).
Kind of lame, but we were still excited :biggrin:

We were also able to extract a molt from the burrow, though no telling if it was this girl's or even the same species.

---------- Post added 12-09-2015 at 08:16 PM ----------

Hope you enjoy the photos, and maybe that was a little helpful in supporting any arguments about husbandry too!

Just for fun, here are a few more pics of wild life in CR that we took in other lower elevation areas.

These huge iguanas were in the tree tops, while the confident gators basked down below them in the river beds.

This last one was taken in a brackish mangrove, hanging out in a tree as we canoed along.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool story cold blood! Def don't have those kind of LPS in my area either... glad to see this thread has taken off, though no one seems to be able to point me in the direction of one for sale :(

Like I said, when in Costa Rica, we saw plenty postcards and photos of the species, so figured it had to be somewhat accessible to the hobby! Once I started researching, realized how I was wrong.

Also, too bad that people started arguing about care taking. Figured I'd provide some info and photos to support the thread though.

So here goes some pic heavy content...

---------- Post added 12-09-2015 at 07:53 PM ----------

As far as I know, species is found mostly in the cloud forests of Monte Verde in North/Central Costa Rica. The area was noticeably more humid and cooler than lower elevation parts of the country. Very foggy/misty and wet, with not much direct sunshine I remember.

You can see the fog rolling through the valley, and the active Arenal Volcano in the second shot with my silly wife.

---------- Post added 12-09-2015 at 08:00 PM ----------

There were a series of hanging bridges along the hiking trails, with one aptly named!

Along the trails we saw some cool stuff, including these shots (as well as bats, sloths, monkeys, macaws) but no tarantulas!

---------- Post added 12-09-2015 at 08:10 PM ----------

Notice the wetness in the pics though too... I would say it supports the argument that they need extra moisture in captivity.

When we got back to the community center, we asked a local guide who was hanging out about any spider spottings. He immediately directed us to a stone wall nearby, where he said a tarantula had been spotted days earlier. We peaked in, and got our only shots of a Megaphobema Mesomelas (we believe) in the wild (or any tarantula for that matter while on the trip).
Kind of lame, but we were still excited :biggrin:

We were also able to extract a molt from the burrow, though no telling if it was this girl's or even the same species.

---------- Post added 12-09-2015 at 08:16 PM ----------

Hope you enjoy the photos, and maybe that was a little helpful in supporting any arguments about husbandry too!

Just for fun, here are a few more pics of wild life in CR that we took in other lower elevation areas.

These huge iguanas were in the tree tops, while the confident gators basked down below them in the river beds.

This last one was taken in a brackish mangrove, hanging out in a tree as we canoed along.

Very cool indeed. As I stated they need humidity and they live in high elevation. Don't let this species dry out at all they will parish quickly. Megaphobema robustum is the opposite you can keep them dry like Xenesthis spp. And they will do fine.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Some of you are making it sound like they will be easy to keep, and all you need to do is keep them cool. There's a lot more going on with this species if you ask me. Hundreds of these have been imported to the U.S. over the years, where are they all now ? They don't live, and we don't get more until the next batch of WC smuggled adults make it to Germany and one drops a sac. Anyone buying the new ones that will be coming in a few months, good luck. I'd rather light my money on fire.

Later, Tom

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
One of the dealers here in eastern Canada had some last year, but I haven't since it on the list since. Beautiful T, but big bucks.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Next fair i will buy one, and keep like my 0.1 Megaphobema robustum, on the 'cooler' side, with a "bridge" cork bark for hide, and more than 12 inches of substrate (always moist) for burrow, and fake leaves. That's how people here kept/keep those with no particular issues, as far as i know.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Next fair i will buy one, and keep like my 0.1 Megaphobema robustum, on the 'cooler' side, with a "bridge" cork bark for hide, and more than 12 inches of substrate (always moist) for burrow, and fake leaves. That's how people here kept/keep those with no particular issues, as far as i know.
Its not that simple, like Tom stated, and I really wouldn't be so optimistic with someone bringing slings/juvies/subadults/adults to a fare. :p

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I won't say it's simple to keep them alive as I've heard that they are difficult. But for me it has been fine. A few years ago I had my adult 6" inch female that I put up for sale and that female like my other mesomelas specimens I owned did perfectly fine for me.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I really wouldn't be so optimistic with someone bringing slings/juvies/subadults/adults to a fare. :p
Here is how few people managed to buy Megaphobema mesomelas, in authorized T's fairs. They keep those at a max temperature of 22° (max) with an always moist substrate (lots of inches).

---------- Post added 12-12-2015 at 10:33 AM ----------

I forgot to add an IMO important thing when it comes to genus Megaphobema in general. I noticed that 0.1 specimen especially, doesn't like to be re-housed too much, once they settled, making their burrow.

That's probably, i believe, one of the important issues (combined with high humidity & cooler temps that not everyone can offer them, of course... but more).

Yes, burrowers doesn't like, obviously, to be moved much, like 'Haplos', Pelinobius muticus etc but those in particular, more.

Steve123

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Some of you are making it sound like they will be easy to keep, and all you need to do is keep them cool. There's a lot more going on with this species if you ask me. Hundreds of these have been imported to the U.S. over the years, where are they all now ? They don't live, and we don't get more until the next batch of WC smuggled adults make it to Germany and one drops a sac. Anyone buying the new ones that will be coming in a few months, good luck. I'd rather light my money on fire.

Later, Tom
I'm going to second the above opinion here. I have been looking for M. mesomelas this year and to my disappointment, learned it is a smuggled species. Several wild-collected sacs have been smuggled into the EU lately, along with adults, semi-adults, and perhaps a few "lucky sacs" from females paired in the wild. They will come to the US as an isolated wave in 2016 I am told. M. mesomelas is tough to breed, with one experienced breeder telling me she's tried for 7 years without success. An EU breeder tells me a sac takes 10 months of incubation with narrow incubation parameters. All of the above suggests current husbandry techniques may be enough to keep them alive in some hands, but if reproduction is a measure of thriving in captivity, we are falling short. One should keep M. mesomelas if one could afford to light on fire the money spent, yes indeed. One should not keep them at all unless one had a deep commitment to determining what was necessary and sufficient to breeding them in captivity. Without the last requirement, those who buy them achieve no more than supporting the smuggling of yet another difficult-to-breed species from the New World.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I'm going to second the above opinion here. I have been looking for M. mesomelas this year and to my disappointment, learned it is a smuggled species. Several wild-collected sacs have been smuggled into the EU lately, along with adults, semi-adults, and perhaps a few "lucky sacs" from females paired in the wild. They will come to the US as an isolated wave in 2016 I am told. M. mesomelas is tough to breed, with one experienced breeder telling me she's tried for 7 years without success. An EU breeder tells me a sac takes 10 months of incubation with narrow incubation parameters. All of the above suggests current husbandry techniques may be enough to keep them alive in some hands, but if reproduction is a measure of thriving in captivity, we are falling short. One should keep M. mesomelas if one could afford to light on fire the money spent, yes indeed. One should not keep them at all unless one had a deep commitment to determining what was necessary and sufficient to breeding them in captivity. Without the last requirement, those who buy them achieve no more than supporting the smuggling of yet another difficult-to-breed species from the New World.
Thank you for mentioning this, I had forgotten it - another reason why they shouldn't be in the hobby is that they're beautiful and albeit the price, they are quickly sold and when most of them die, there is more demand and with the localities well-known, people go there and smuggle even more, to meet the demands... Why should we promote this?

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I raised a pair of mesomelas several years ago. They matured a few years back.
They were a bit** to keep. Each specimen was housed in a separate part of the house, where I would have that specific room for them set at 60 degrees, 50 at night, humidity was 65-85% depending on the time of the day and if I forgot to fill the humidifier.

They grew fast in these conditions believe it or not. Within two and a half, maybe three years, they were mature. Male matured two months after the female did.
They mated when the female was ready, but sadly, she never produced. Gained a large amount of weight, but she molted out on me.
Last time I keep/try to breed this species.
This is the only picture I kept of them.

I ended up selling this female to a good friend who lived in COLD conditions. She was thriving for a while, molted once or twice with no complications. He spent a large amount of time hunting down some males for her, and when he finally tracked some down, and received them, she randomly died. Just blows.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I raised a pair of mesomelas several years ago. They matured a few years back.
They were a bit** to keep. Each specimen was housed in a separate part of the house, where I would have that specific room for them set at 60 degrees, 50 at night, humidity was 65-85% depending on the time of the day and if I forgot to fill the humidifier.

They grew fast in these conditions believe it or not. Within two and a half, maybe three years, they were mature. Male matured two months after the female did.
They mated when the female was ready, but sadly, she never produced. Gained a large amount of weight, but she molted out on me.
Last time I keep/try to breed this species.
This is the only picture I kept of them.

I ended up selling this female to a good friend who lived in COLD conditions. She was thriving for a while, molted once or twice with no complications. He spent a large amount of time hunting down some males for her, and when he finally tracked some down, and received them, she randomly died. Just blows.
Soooooo beautiful tho

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Thanks for chiming in, Austin. I actually vaguely mentioned you in one of my previous comments, or maybe it was the female's death. I don't know, but I mentioned it... Just goes to show that they're a species which is extremely hard to keep in captivity. Period.