Meet Harley Quinn. My beautiful tri coloured hognose snake.

keks

Arachnobaron
Outch!
That's why I fed my snakes (even the small one) with tweezers ^^.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Outch!
That's why I fed my snakes (even the small one) with tweezers ^^.
No. Ouch was when Bia my 13ft dwarf retic bit me.

This was a case of taking the mouse out of the bag and putting it in a tub. I then washed my hands and found Harley in the sub.

keks

Arachnobaron
No. Ouch was when Bia my 13ft dwarf retic bit me.

This was a case of taking the mouse out of the bag and putting it in a tub. I then washed my hands and found Harley in the sub.
Yes, this surely was more "ouch (without T )".
I never heard of dwarf retics, and read just that there are several formes(?) with several lengths?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yes, this surely was more "ouch (without T )".
I never heard of dwarf retics, and read just that there are several formes(?) with several lengths?
There are super dwarf and dwarf varieties. My 2 where 50% dwarves.

A super dwarf retic might only be 4ft. The power of a 13ft retic is ridiculous. I'm strong and she almost broke my arm/wrist.

basin79

ArachnoGod
What a 13ft snake bite looks like. Even at this small size a retic bite is painful.

keks

Arachnobaron
A bloody issue. But logical, they have many sharp teeth that are bent inwards, so they make many bad wounds.

keks

Arachnobaron
Yes. But it's their body pushing and pulling that hurts.
That's why I only had snakes that are not as long as yours ^^. Epicrates cenchria would have been a bit a longer one , but it was not adult as I had to give it away.
Apart from that I had Pantherophis guttatus, Eryx colubrinus, Lichanura trivirtata.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
Awesome. Raising western hog noses over the years in the past the biggest issue was getting youngsters to eat. I'm assuming the same here....

basin79

ArachnoGod
Awesome. Raising western hog noses over the years in the past the biggest issue was getting youngsters to eat. I'm assuming the same here....
Harley has an insane feeding response. I'm told they all do. Not sure what they're like as babies though as I wanted to skip the whole pinkie phase.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
Harley has an insane feeding response. I'm told they all do. Not sure what they're like as babies though as I wanted to skip the whole pinkie phase.
we used to have to dip pinkies in tuna juice, it was pathetic lol. I hate tuna juice lol.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
What a 13ft snake bite looks like. Even at this small size a retic bite is painful.

can we see the bite once the blood is cleaned off please? Yeah snake bites are fun, used to scare me, now it just makes you mad lol. Would like to see the actual damage though if you dont mind....

basin79

ArachnoGod
can we see the bite once the blood is cleaned off please? Yeah snake bites are fun, used to scare me, now it just makes you mad lol. Would like to see the actual damage though if you dont mind....
Didn't take any pics. It was just a load of small puncture wounds. Swelled up and bruised.

I do think I've got a pic of the second time she but me though on my hand. That hurt even more. I could feel her teeth on my bones. Bugger lugs.

basin79

ArachnoGod
This was Bia the day after she bit my arm. Right as a clock.

The much more painful hand bite once I'd cleaned my hand up.

I'd just like to point out that if a large dog was to bite a human the injuries would be far worse. These posts AREN'T to paint snakes in a bad light. Far from it. I love snakes.

JDS123

Arachnosquire

The much more painful hand bite.

I'd just like to point out that if a large dog was to bite a human the injuries would be far worse. These posts AREN'T to paint snakes in a bad light. Far from it. I love snakes.
thats why I was hoping you would post it, to show ppl its not like a bad dog or even some cat bites, but it does suck indeed. Are retics still fairly nippy? I never had the room for them but love them.

basin79

ArachnoGod
thats why I was hoping you would post it, to show ppl its not like a bad dog or even some cat bites, but it does suck indeed. Are retics still fairly nippy? I never had the room for them but love them.
The actual punctures are nothing really to look at. They're just little holes. Obviously not fun though. It's the immense strength of the snake that's the problem. They constantly try and twist and turn and pull backwards driving their teeth in. Even at 13ft they really are phenomenal. If I'd have been of lesser build or panicked I'm confident I'd have received broken bones.

I gave both girls away. My head had started to play up and I became withdrawn. I was getting them both out of exercise less and less. And seeing them cooped up in their vivs upset me.

JDS123

Arachnosquire

man she got you good though. Must have felt good on the bottom of your hand....ouch.

basin79

ArachnoGod
man she got you good though. Must have felt good on the bottom of your hand....ouch.
The bottom was OK. It was the top that really hurt and there's little flesh. It was just her teeth on my bones. Little bugger lugs.

In hindsight I should have just let her bite my bloody leg.