Measure your centipede thread !

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Arachnosupporter
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
822
I vote very real

My friend takes courses on digital photography at Acedeny of intsutue of sanfrasico and he say its real. I showed him the pic and he said it would be very difficult for anyone to blend the image that perfectly where the pede is gripping his finger. Also that if you compare the reflection on the pedes backend and head section to the shadows on his shirt the the angles match up as if they came from the same light source, the way the light trasfers from the rear of the to the tip of his index, and the shadow between the index and thumb would also be very hard to fake. And he says the final indication it is real is that the grain of the image on the pede and the grain of the rest of the image is very consistant. But there are two spots where it looks blurred: one with a blurry patch between the third and fourth leg, and the blurryness of the middle finger under the pede. All in all he sad it is much more likley to be real then fake, but if it is fake it's a damn good one. :cool:
 

Bob

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 17, 2002
Messages
776
Hey Dan,
I had a monster Subspinipes a few years ago about as big as yours. I noticed mine is about 7 inches now but no where near as wide. They must stop growing in length at some point and then get wider?

Bob
 

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 13, 2003
Messages
1,314
I know some one had claimed to get a message from the originator of the photo saying it was a fake but,
I think it is real as well. I don't know why anyone would be that insane putting that big a pede on the other hand. I am pretty good at spotting a fake when I see one. I also believe the small blurr may have been caused by movement.
In any case wholly sh*t is it exists. :}
By the way your quote is absoloutly Awsome!
 
Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Messages
4,022
Yow Jason,... indeed !!!!
dr.Evil looks quite happy and fat :cool:
any secret ingredient you're giving it ?
 

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 5, 2002
Messages
1,717
Bob,

mine only molted twice i the time i had it, and it went from about 8" to about 9", but it did indeed get noticably fatter. Mind you, a lot of the girth depended on how much it had eaten, the time i gave it a load of bacon increased its size considerably!

Cheers,

Dan.
 

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 13, 2003
Messages
1,314
Steven,
I don't feed him anything special but he gets 7 or 8 large crickets a week and he ate some Mango for the first time last month. :}
Other than that he gets a super worm from time to time and maybe a wax worm every so often. :)
 

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Arachnosupporter
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
822
That pede does have some extreme girth to it!!! Its a monster indeed. Very nice jay :D
 

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Messages
4,022
Ugly guy with beautifull pede

it's me holding my friend's Peruvian (original !!! 100% Peru)
he had this pede since it was a pedeling of 6cm,...
it has grown a few inches in the last years :}


me checking it out :D


 

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 5, 2002
Messages
1,717
Very nice pede Steven. I have a couple of questions; Roughly how long has he had the pede, i can imagine its a great feeling having grown one up from a little pedeling to that size. Is that a custom made enclosure, or is it just a critter keeper with a clear lid on it? Either way, it looks very nice.
Have you noticed a dfference between the original S.gigantea "Peru" that were around a good few years ago, and the new S.gigantea "Venezuela" that are around at the moment? From all the pictures i've seen the "peru" seem to have more yellow in the banding, whereas if i compare it to the Venezuelan pedes that i have, they have more dark in the banding. Any idea if this is just a different colour morph, or maybe a subspecies?

Cheers,
 

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Messages
4,022
danread said:
Very nice pede Steven. I have a couple of questions; Roughly how long has he had the pede, i can imagine its a great feeling having grown one up from a little pedeling to that size. Is that a custom made enclosure, or is it just a critter keeper with a clear lid on it? Either way, it looks very nice.
Have you noticed a dfference between the original S.gigantea "Peru" that were around a good few years ago, and the new S.gigantea "Venezuela" that are around at the moment? From all the pictures i've seen the "peru" seem to have more yellow in the banding, whereas if i compare it to the Venezuelan pedes that i have, they have more dark in the banding. Any idea if this is just a different colour morph, or maybe a subspecies?

Cheers,
- about 4 years as i remember
- custom made enclosures,...
only this one was put in a smaller tank for better observation ;)
- together with my buddy we have Gigantea's from Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela,... all slighty different in coloration,... guess no subspecies,. only colormorphs (you are talking about the "Gigantea Robusta's",... right :? ,... cause the "classic" Gigantea are to what i think indeed a different specie or subspecie.

hope to have answered your Q's ? :)
 

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 5, 2002
Messages
1,717
gongyles said:
- about 4 years as i remember
- custom made enclosures,...
only this one was put in a smaller tank for better observation ;)
- together with my buddy we have Gigantea's from Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela,... all slighty different in coloration,... guess no subspecies,. only colormorphs (you are talking about the "Gigantea Robusta's",... right :? ,... cause the "classic" Gigantea are to what i think indeed a different specie or subspecie.

hope to have answered your Q's ? :)
Yes, that has answered my questions thanks. Between the two of you, you have got a good collection of gigantea! When you have time, it would be nice to see photos of all the different colour morphs next to each other, it is interesting to see the differences that occur over geographical distance. I'm not entirely sure where my "robusta" came from, although i suspect venezuela.

Cheers,
 

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Messages
4,022
Yes, that has answered my questions thanks. Between the two of you, you have got a good collection of gigantea! When you have time, it would be nice to see photos of all the different colour morphs next to each other
yep i know,... we're gonna have to make time for that once :rolleyes: :8o

at the moment i only have 6 gigantea's,... my friend 4,...
nice little gigantea-collection :cool: ;P

ps/ we have given up the "rotating-methode" cause i'm not really buying that anymore (untill proven otherwise ;) )
 

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Messages
280
Scolopendra

The Scolopendra sp. from China measured out at 9 inches.

N-Joy
Art
 

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
1,141
Just a question: Except crabs, are the scolopendra the big atrophods over the earth? Not counting sea artrophods.
 

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
8,328
Androctonus_bic said:
Just a question: Except crabs, are the scolopendra the big atrophods over the earth? Not counting sea artrophods.

that all depends how you measure things.

just talking about land animals...

there are whip spiders (Ambylpygi or whatever) who have GIANT whip-spans. i can't dredge the number up, but i want to say their whip-span can reach 36"(like 1m)!

but for body length, i would say scolopendra genus might be the "longest thick bodied terrestrial arthropod" if you see what i mean?

edit:
i don't think stick insects can get to 13+" (33+cm) in their three body segments (head+thorax+abdomen), so i think centipedes beat them out

edit2:

also, i believe the longest scorp measurement is ~11.5" from "face" to end of extended tail/metasoma for Heterometrus swammerdammi(spelling)
 
Last edited:

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
1,141
Hi; in weight it is for sure the greatest!
But i'm not agree with what you said whit this Heterometrus swammerdami, The longest one i think is male of hadogenes troglodytes; after that swammerdami and imperator.
But like in all there are redcords, extrange giant forms etc.
 

azra3l

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
72
Bob said:
Thanks guys.....I just wanted proof that they have a large one with a photo next to something with scale......never seen one that big.

Bob
...........

wtf?
 

dirtborder4life

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Messages
169
whoa

Awesome pics:worship: :clap: .Keep em coming.
Man, i wish we could get gigantea's in the u.s.
 
Top